Nissan X-Trail as a tow vehicle?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Nissan X-Trail as a tow vehicle?

Post by frozenpod » Sat May 12, 2018 10:41 am

Jeeps are very very cheap with great specs on paper.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat May 12, 2018 10:43 am

I can vouch for my wife’s car, the older model t31 xtrail diesel 4x4 being a great tow rig for my boat which was about 1050kg bmt. It was my tow rig before I bought the pathfinder. It dragged the boat fully loaded with **** so roughly 1200kg up to Echuca, to Mallacoota, Paynesville. For multiple trips. My old trailer was unbraked too. Not a drama in the world. But I wouldn’t tow much more. The diesel auto was de rated to 1300kg down from the petrol models 2000kg. Something to do with the auto behind the diesel I think.

Just don’t beach launch your boat with one at Torquay. As another member learnt not long ago. Lol.

As for the new model petrol 2wd. Nah could see it being pretty ****.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat May 12, 2018 11:22 am

Thumbs down for jeep....

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Sat May 12, 2018 2:34 pm

why?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat May 12, 2018 2:54 pm

Gear box trouble n genrealty cheap crap n rattles from 2_ people bought new ones..l

Another one of my family member had captiva , nothing but trouble....

They do look good the jeep...

Misses cx5 has done 40 thousand n still on original tyres on it no issues thus far touch wood

M9085

Post by M9085 » Sat May 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Stay away from Jeeps, cost of spare parts and maintenance will send you broke.
I own something made by the same mob and they charged me $750 for a wheel bearing they wanted $1100 for a bush etc etc

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Sat May 12, 2018 3:37 pm

I have a diesel 2014 Jeep GC, had it since new and just clocked 95,000km, have not had any issues with the engine or running gear. often tow my boat 1200kg or tandem with wood (3T) and most kms are country miles for work. Just back from Eden with towing the boat, we averaged 11L/100kms and it tows extremely well. The only after market kit added has been a nudge bar with LED driving lights & shoo roos. They are a gutsy engine & 93 litres without towing in the country gets me around ≤8L/100km.

The couple of warranty jobs
- LED in daytime lights stopped working, new headlight assembly installed FOC
- lower door hing on drivers side replaced a couple of weeks back

I've had Suby Outbacks, Kluger Front Wheel Drive & a falcon, all had some sort of warranty job/s done in their time and I knock out a lot of country miles each year. The Jeep has been the best vehicle to date with the power, economy, comfort etc.

Outback - 2nd best vehicles I've driven. had both the 2.5 & 3.0 models.
Kluger - often had the level riser bars on the trailer to transfer some weight on the front when at the ramp. Was good but not great. Wished they came out in diesel and AWD model. Thirsty when towing anything
Falcon - sunk in the ar3e with a trailer and thirsty. springs in the rear needed replacing 3 years in.
Fortunately the vehicles have all been company cars.

It's a tough gig trying to find something that fits in for the Mon-Fri hum drum and then becomes the social and recreational vehicle on the weekend, all the while being reasonably priced, robust, grunt engine for towing and comfortable on a family holiday. A lot of the equivalent brands have moved to smaller engines or are in desperate need of updating the engine & fuel efficiencies (mitsubishi pajero) and twin cab utes are not everyones solution.
PM me if you want to talk more on the Jeep.
quid est quod eum

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat May 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Mattblack wrote:I think smile meant Front Wheel Drive when he said "Fwd are hopeless on ramps"....and it true, Front Wheel Drives are hopeless on ramps. The new X-trails are great little cars, might struggle pulling anything heavy though
Sorry ment front wheel drive

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat May 12, 2018 5:35 pm

ChrisAbout wrote:Having owed a little hatchback FWD turbo diesel for 4 years and towed/launched this same boat with it A LOT of times in all of WPB & PPB, Apollo Bay, Pt Fairy, Portland, Pt Mac, Pt Welshpool and Pt Albert - I can vouch that a FWD is definitely not hopeless towing or pulling boats at ramps.
In fact on many occasions my FWD was better than the wife's RWD Territory, which wheel spun on low tide.
As with anything, slowly and carefully does it.

That being said, I do agree that the X-Trail is underpowered and without sufficient torque to tow my rig adequately. To test it, I took a local private one equipped with a towbar for an extended test drive this morning, came home hooked up my boat and went for a drive. It struggles, so that answers my question.

I've discussed with my wife and we will look at a 2014-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3L turbo diesel. Not a demo, but a better suited vehicle.

We looked at jeeps before getting the territory.
Thay look good but money for value for what we use it for they were over priced.
Thats just my opinion

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat May 12, 2018 5:38 pm

KeenAds wrote:Hi Chris not sure what rig you have or weight you want to tow but you can't go wrong with a falcon or comodore. I personally prefer the falcon and have one with 250k on the clock and it doesn't miss a beat, heaps of power for a 6 cylinder.

You should be able to find either one with low kms just make sure it has full a service history. The only modifications you will need are the tow pack of course but also fit an external transmission cooler and upgrade the standard brake rotors to a slotted / cross drill and heavy duty pads and you will have no problems at all. If the back end drops to much for your liking put in some heavy duty springs and your set to go. These are easy modifications you can do yourself and parts are cheap.
His boat is too big for a sedan to pull.
Mite be ok for a station wagon since they have more tow capacity but a suv would be better.
My station wagon tow limit 2.1ton but the boat is about 1500kg so struggles a bit going up hills but is fine with the territory

Return to “Boating”