Nissan X-Trail as a tow vehicle?

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Nissan X-Trail as a tow vehicle?

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat May 12, 2018 6:10 pm

I have a BA ford station wagon that is rated at 1600kg after getting the rear springs strengthened and lengthened it is great for towing the boat, but not the caravan. The station wagon has on occasion spun the rear wheels until the get the grip and so far it has not been an issue.

The Pajero sags a bit when either is hooked up and needs the rear ended stiffened a bit.

My next boat is going to be much heavier than my Concorde that weighs 1460kg. So eventually I will updating to a vehicle the pulls 3.5 tonne.

baitworms

Post by baitworms » Sat May 12, 2018 6:11 pm

It's not only to tow, but the safety of your family while on the road. "are we there yet"
Toyota Landcruiser is the only family safe car, 6cyl will do the job, But a V8 driven with an egg under the peddle is better.
You cannot have a safe tow vehicle that cannot deal with road condition.
A trailer starts to wobble increase the power asap, not it will increase may be in time with a low power unit car.
You can find a good vehicle cheap and with Warranty Pickles Auction, Manheim, Grays but use RACV for inspection.
The only draw back in a tow vehicle is LPG every time you back into a ramp the sea water laps around the tank.
So raise the vehicle height and drop the tow goose neck height. Problem solved, or find one suitably modified one.
And make sure the trailer has a long draw bar.
The newer model trailers are cutting costs by shorter draw bars.
Example: I have just bought a boat with the wrong trailer the anchor winch is so so close to the back window its intimidating.
good luck.
PS: If you have a mechanic use him, promise him the world, I picked up a 2004 Landcruiser V8 cheap.
Running on 6cyl's no one would look at it, low compression, burnt out exhaust values (on LPG)??????? who knows only a mechanic, which I am.
No, the duel batteries failed, it was on limp home mode, change the batteries $480 a different car vroom vroom

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:49 pm

hey Chris have a look at jefferson ford/hyundai i think we have 3 jeeps pm me if any thing takes your fancy i will make sure the guys look after you

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Sat May 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Thank you. Yes the Silver is a sweet car, but way above my price range unfortunately.

baitworms

Post by baitworms » Sat May 12, 2018 8:56 pm

dazz999 wrote:hey Chris have a look at jefferson ford/hyundai i think we have 3 jeeps pm me if any thing takes your fancy i will make sure the guys look after you
Jeeps :o_0:

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sat May 12, 2018 9:01 pm

The AU & BA falcons are rated to 2300kg with the heavy duty tow pack and a braked trailer.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sat May 12, 2018 9:37 pm

dazz999 wrote:hey Chris have a look at jefferson ford/hyundai i think we have 3 jeeps pm me if any thing takes your fancy i will make sure the guys look after you
Are the ones with the 6.4lt hemi any good?....they sound good

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat May 12, 2018 10:23 pm

ratbag wrote: A lot of the equivalent brands have moved to smaller engines or are in desperate need of updating the engine & fuel efficiencies (mitsubishi pajero) and twin cab utes are not everyones solution.
PM me if you want to talk more on the Jeep.
I may be biased since one sits in the bonnet of my Triton, but give me the 4m41 out of the Pajero any day of the week. Arguably the most proven and reliable of all turbo diesel engines going around.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:45 pm

I like pajero but were too expensive for my wallet

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat May 12, 2018 10:48 pm

I had a d4 prado towed my 650 Haines no problem but I was on the edge of being legal I bought a land cruiser 200 new in 2015 best vehicle I have ever towed with twin turbo diesel you should see people’s faces when I pull out and pass them. My mate bought a Jeep the same year he tows a caravan the same weight he has had his suspension replaced 3 times under warranty buyer beware

Return to “Boating”