Boat ramp etiquette

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Boat ramp etiquette

Post by Redhunter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:35 pm

If there were sufficient launching facilities available, and the government weren't all about "take take take", this wouldn't need discussion. Jaala can stick her "target 1mil" campaign imo. Where's the infrastructure to accommodate????? Oh, lets pump and waste money in on a friggen unsustainable puddle called Toolondo. Get stuffed!!!!

Rant over.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:39 pm

I dont think there is marked preping zones at a mornington or crib point so a sign would be handy

PJ72

Post by PJ72 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:24 pm

I think the problem is common sense is not that common anymore, just in life in general, people don't take the time to think about their actions and the result of those actions. I think a pamphlet would be a good idea, for those that 'need educating on ramp etiquette' though I don't think you could educate everyone as, in my experience, the worst offenders are just self serving flogs, or maybe I'm getting grumpy in my old age.
I saw a guy one day, telling an old guy to hurry up as he was taking too long, and instead of helping him, went back and sat in his car. I went and helped the bloke and found out that he had had a hip replacement 2 weeks previously and this was his first time out since. As the old bloke drove up and off the ramp, the other guy started moving forward, barely giving him enough room to fit through, the guy then proceeded to totally stuff up reversing his trailer down the ramp taking a good 5 minutes to reverse down the ramp, I was sitting, watching, nearly wetting myself.
The old guy had finished securing his boat and had been standing watching also, when the guy had finally got the boat to the water, the old guy walked past me with a smirk on his face, then proceeded to tell the guy to hurry up, and that he shouldn't be practicing his reversing when there are so many people waiting to put there boats in, I absolutely lost it :rofl:
The guy then started abusing the old bloke telling him it was his fault, he got flustered cause he had to wait so long, the old bloke responded with, 'if you get that easily flustered, maybe you should launch your boat only when the ramp is quiet' and then added 'karma's a bit@h' then walked away, I seriously nearly high fived the old guy :super:

So, after me waffling on for ever, maybe add to the list 'if you are not confident with reversing your trailer down the ramp, go practice in a car park somewhere, not on the ramp' or when the ramp is quiet, and also ' if you see someone struggling, go offer to help, they may appreciate it'

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:41 pm

PJ72 wrote:I think the problem is common sense is not that common anymore, just in life in general, people don't take the time to think about their actions and the result of those actions. I think a pamphlet would be a good idea, for those that 'need educating on ramp etiquette' though I don't think you could educate everyone as, in my experience, the worst offenders are just self serving flogs, or maybe I'm getting grumpy in my old age.
I saw a guy one day, telling an old guy to hurry up as he was taking too long, and instead of helping him, went back and sat in his car. I went and helped the bloke and found out that he had had a hip replacement 2 weeks previously and this was his first time out since. As the old bloke drove up and off the ramp, the other guy started moving forward, barely giving him enough room to fit through, the guy then proceeded to totally stuff up reversing his trailer down the ramp taking a good 5 minutes to reverse down the ramp, I was sitting, watching, nearly wetting myself.
The old guy had finished securing his boat and had been standing watching also, when the guy had finally got the boat to the water, the old guy walked past me with a smirk on his face, then proceeded to tell the guy to hurry up, and that he shouldn't be practicing his reversing when there are so many people waiting to put there boats in, I absolutely lost it :rofl:
The guy then started abusing the old bloke telling him it was his fault, he got flustered cause he had to wait so long, the old bloke responded with, 'if you get that easily flustered, maybe you should launch your boat only when the ramp is quiet' and then added 'karma's a bit@h' then walked away, I seriously nearly high fived the old guy :super:

So, after me waffling on for ever, maybe add to the list 'if you are not confident with reversing your trailer down the ramp, go practice in a car park somewhere, not on the ramp' or when the ramp is quiet, and also ' if you see someone struggling, go offer to help, they may appreciate it'
:rofl:
Great post

Delirium
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Delirium » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Might want to add: the queue is the order of cars on land....not boats in the water. Regardless of whether you are launching or retrieving.

phil1818

Post by phil1818 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Think this needs to extend past just ramp etiquette, I think it needs to include plain boating etiquette as well. Can’t tell you how many **** heads drive past me full noise around 20-30m away while Iam anchored fishing!! For god sake you have the ENTIRE bay and you decide you need to get to where your going by flying past as close as you can. How difficult is it to give people under anchor clearly fishing a wide swerve it ***** me something chronic

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:25 pm

PJ72 wrote:I think the problem is common sense is not that common anymore, just in life in general, people don't take the time to think about their actions and the result of those actions. I think a pamphlet would be a good idea, for those that 'need educating on ramp etiquette' though I don't think you could educate everyone as, in my experience, the worst offenders are just self serving flogs, or maybe I'm getting grumpy in my old age.

Classic good on you and the old guy

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:26 pm

phil1818 wrote:Think this needs to extend past just ramp etiquette, I think it needs to include plain boating etiquette as well. Can’t tell you how many d*** heads drive past me full noise around 20-30m away while Iam anchored fishing!! For god sake you have the ENTIRE bay and you decide you need to get to where your going by flying past as close as you can. How difficult is it to give people under anchor clearly fishing a wide swerve it sh*ts me something chronic
Agree with you there

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:15 pm

I was at StKilda boat ramp yesterday and was amazed that people had actually parked their trailers in the tie-up departure bays. Whoever you were, you might have saved yourself $14 by not parking in the designated parking area, but you made everyone else's day that little bit more difficult you tight ar$ed selfish knobs.
There was also another thoughtful soul that cleaned his catch on the jetty for everyone to walk in whilst they got aboard their boats.
I can forgive all those people that left their headlights on whilst on the ramp and even the guy that blocked all ramp access whilst tying his boat down...but if you leave your trailer in the departure bays again, I'll be writing a note across your windscreen in surfboard wax.
Public Holidays during snapper season...happy days!

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:49 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:15 pm
I was at StKilda boat ramp yesterday and was amazed that people had actually parked their trailers in the tie-up departure bays. Whoever you were, you might have saved yourself $14 by not parking in the designated parking area, but you made everyone else's day that little bit more difficult you tight ar$ed selfish knobs.
There was also another thoughtful soul that cleaned his catch on the jetty for everyone to walk in whilst they got aboard their boats.
I can forgive all those people that left their headlights on whilst on the ramp and even the guy that blocked all ramp access whilst tying his boat down...but if you leave your trailer in the departure bays again, I'll be writing a note across your windscreen in surfboard wax.
Public Holidays during snapper season...happy days!
Problems of having a boat lol with piers it’s more likely you won’t be able to find a spot

Return to “Boating”