Need some recommendations

SWVIcSam

Re: Need some recommendations

Post by SWVIcSam » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Kimtown wrote:
SWVIcSam wrote:Yeah the 625 explorer mate.
Super stable at rest when there’s a bit of slop.
Heaps of fishing space. Real wide gunnels with heaps of space underneath them.
They don’t have the super big vee like a Haines but still are very comfy ride in my opinion
They do look nice. Interested. What year? The 2015s with a couple hundred hours on them are still asking around the 100k mark :/ expensive as **** when new.

Found a few 2004-05 models for around the 45-55k mark. Decent prices I suppose.
Mates was a 2004 he picked up for under 40k last year. 232 litre fuel tank which is great for big days out. The one I use is a 2008 and has a 200 supercharged verado on it top speed is 68 kmh. There is a cruisecraft owners Facebook page heaps of reviews on there.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:53 pm

Have you thought about NZ alloy boats like whitepointer or extreme? Don't have to worry about dodgy rebuilds or rotting with an alloy boat plus the maintenance is non existent compared to a glass boat..

Cheers, Anth

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:30 am

Sinsemilla wrote:Have you thought about NZ alloy boats like whitepointer or extreme? Don't have to worry about dodgy rebuilds or rotting with an alloy boat plus the maintenance is non existent compared to a glass boat..

Cheers, Anth
Very expensive and hard to find second hand

A 7m extreme game king is my dream boat though. One day I'll win the lottery
Last edited by Kimtown on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluewater81
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bluewater81 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:57 am

If you're going to spend the money, go fibreglass. The ride is worth it alone. Another thing to contemplate is a boats deadrise. For eg my boat (7m glass) has a 24.5 degree deadrise and it eats up any chop which is perfect for offshore fishing that I predominantly do. Having worked professionally on boats up to 100m in length over 20 years I think the theory "stable at rest" for lower deadrise smaller boats is a bit overrated, for ships it certainly has a great effect. When you think about "rest" in small boats, most of the time its at anchor with wind and slop coming front on, not side on. For me, with a dicky back from working the seas, I'd recommend a glass boat in the 21 degree and above as my personal choice. Feel free to msg me if you need any info.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:13 am

bluewater81 wrote:If you're going to spend the money, go fibreglass. The ride is worth it alone. Another thing to contemplate is a boats deadrise. For eg my boat (7m glass) has a 24.5 degree deadrise and it eats up any chop which is perfect for offshore fishing that I predominantly do. Having worked professionally on boats up to 100m in length over 20 years I think the theory "stable at rest" for lower deadrise smaller boats is a bit overrated, for ships it certainly has a great effect. When you think about "rest" in small boats, most of the time its at anchor with wind and slop coming front on, not side on. For me, with a dicky back from working the seas, I'd recommend a glass boat in the 21 degree and above as my personal choice. Feel free to msg me if you need any info.
I know very little about boat dynamic specifications and how it effects performance quality so I appreciate the info greatly! I'll definitely be using this when looking for a hull.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:23 am

The Tournament 2000 won boat of the year awhile back. We considered buying one this last year but just couldn't find one around the 40k mark. From all the research I did they got great reviews, especially considering their price. In 2010 (I think) they updated the hulls to a Gen 2 model which had wider chines amongst some other things.

I've also been impressed with the Northbank's when I have seen them in the flesh. If I was buying again (even new) I would certainly look at them.

We ended up with a Caribbean Adventurer (5.85m) 2003, 150 Verado low hours for 40k which we considered a good price considering the motor and other decked out features it had. I think 50k for something slightly bigger, bigger motor is probably spot on.

A lot of people rave on about the Seafarers but I have never been in one... but definitely worth a look.

Not sure on motor hours but this also looks alright https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/deta ... ss=Premium

bluewater81
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bluewater81 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:26 am

Kimtown wrote:
bluewater81 wrote:If you're going to spend the money, go fibreglass. The ride is worth it alone. Another thing to contemplate is a boats deadrise. For eg my boat (7m glass) has a 24.5 degree deadrise and it eats up any chop which is perfect for offshore fishing that I predominantly do. Having worked professionally on boats up to 100m in length over 20 years I think the theory "stable at rest" for lower deadrise smaller boats is a bit overrated, for ships it certainly has a great effect. When you think about "rest" in small boats, most of the time its at anchor with wind and slop coming front on, not side on. For me, with a dicky back from working the seas, I'd recommend a glass boat in the 21 degree and above as my personal choice. Feel free to msg me if you need any info.
I know very little about boat dynamic specifications and how it effects performance quality so I appreciate the info greatly! I'll definitely be using this when looking for a hull.
I'm more than happy to take you for a spin offshore and give you a drive of my boat if need be, always happy to help others. It's a big decision and investment so well worth the research.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:50 am

bluewater81 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
I'm more than happy to take you for a spin offshore and give you a drive of my boat if need be, always happy to help others. It's a big decision and investment so well worth the research.
Yeah I'd definitely be interested in that at some point mate! Cheers

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:52 am

What are you going to tow it with?

No good, buying a boat and finding out that the weight of the rig is over the tow limit of the vehicle.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:06 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:What are you going to tow it with?

No good, buying a boat and finding out that the weight of the rig is over the tow limit of the vehicle.
Covered this base already mate :thumbsup: we estimate I should be able to tow anything up to 6.3m fiberglass (roughly)

Return to “Boating”