Marine ply sealer

Sinsemilla

Marine ply sealer

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Just about to start the casting deck in my tinny and was wondering what you guys have used to seal your marine ply before gluing the carpet down?

Cheers, Anth

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Marine ply sealer

Post by cobby » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Flowcoat or resin.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi Sinsemilla,
cobby is right about the "correct" way to seal it, and don't forget to seal all the edges.
I will note though, that I have heard others seal off there floors with a decking oil believe it or not, and very successfully.
But, even though it is going to be covered with carpet, I would personally use resin, both underneath, on top and as mentioned the edges !!!
Flow coat would be a pain in my opinion if you are carpeting it. Flow coat is just gelcoat with a wax in it, the wax rises to the surface and seals it off to cure it, Afterwards to glue anything down on it, you would have to sand down the way layer for the carpet glue to adhere, so just use resin. get everything cut to size, then do the resin, that will seal it properly and you shouldn't have any issues for quite a few years to come.....

Col

bilby

Post by bilby » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:17 pm

I've heard that this is quite good: http://www.norglass.com.au/products/nor ... -treatment

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:28 pm

In that case paying the big bucks for marine ply wasnt really worth it then? Reckon I'll be using form ply when I rebuild my tinny floor, and then just worry about sealing the edges.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Thanks for the reply's gents.

I was thinking of using International Everdure Primer and Sealer. I've read good things about it. has anyone had experience with this?

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:36 pm

Redhunter wrote:In that case paying the big bucks for marine ply wasnt really worth it then? Reckon I'll be using form ply when I rebuild my tinny floor, and then just worry about sealing the edges.
Marine ply is of better quality though. It is made without any gaps or holes inside the wood and uses a better glue. For how much I'm doing i'd rather spend the extra little bit and not worry about it every again

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:52 pm

On my last boat i used waterproofing that is used in ponds and stuff that i got from bunnings, 5years later was still good and the marine carpet glued on no probs

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:01 pm

fishnut wrote:On my last boat i used waterproofing that is used in ponds and stuff that i got from bunnings, 5years later was still good and the marine carpet glued on no probs
I was also thinking of doing that. I got half a bucket leftover from a bathroom reno but I wasn't sure on how long it would last.

The only thing I'm thinking with the primer/sealer over waterproofing membrane is that the primer/sealer penetrates deep into the wood. The waterproofer does't. and if i screw things in or pierce it with knives or hooks eventually water will get through

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:50 am

It is marine ply and wont be an issue
Some new boats the marine ply floor is not sealed,have to pay more for that ,bloody tightarses

Return to “Boating”