Those Dirty Trailer Rollers

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Re: Those Dirty Trailer Rollers

Post by Yota » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:39 am

frozenpod wrote:Glass.
Thanks frozenpond, do you get the marks from the rollers ? Is there anything I can do to reduce or prevent it ?

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:51 am

frozenpod wrote:All trailers flex.

Skids and bunks don't have much give to deal with the flex and puts load on the hull. Also the for in ng equals rubbing with skids and bunks which wears away gel coat.

Rollers are better for the hull (if you have enough rollers) as the rollers have shock absorption. Rollers easier launching and retrieving. Can launch in shallower water ie with a shallower ramp you don't need to get the car wet compared with bunks or skids.

As per above carpet bunks wear away the gel coat as do skids. Cost $1500 to have the hull re gel coated after 6 years of carpet bunks. Roughly the same extra cost of getting rollers up front without the damage and raider launching.

Skids and bunks make the trailer cheaper to build and cheaper to buy initially.
Have you owned a trailer with skids before?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:59 am

Yes I have as per my previous post.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:01 am

Yota wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Glass.
Thanks frozenpond, do you get the marks from the rollers ? Is there anything I can do to reduce or prevent it ?
Not really. I hose down the trailer when I get home. When I polish and wax the hull once a year there is often some dirt under the roller which is easily removed.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:34 am

bluewater81 wrote:
frozenpod wrote:All trailers flex.

Skids and bunks don't have much give to deal with the flex and puts load on the hull. Also the for in ng equals rubbing with skids and bunks which wears away gel coat.

Rollers are better for the hull (if you have enough rollers) as the rollers have shock absorption. Rollers easier launching and retrieving. Can launch in shallower water ie with a shallower ramp you don't need to get the car wet compared with bunks or skids.

As per above carpet bunks wear away the gel coat as do skids. Cost $1500 to have the hull re gel coated after 6 years of carpet bunks. Roughly the same extra cost of getting rollers up front without the damage and raider launching.

Skids and bunks make the trailer cheaper to build and cheaper to buy initially.
What a load of rubbish.
Actually... He's right. if you don't get gelcoat marks left off a glass hull on carpet or Teflon bunks/skids after a few years then your trailer is the shittiest setup in the world with no support. It's called abrasion, it happens with a moving object runs on a stationary object.

Can tell you from experience, flipping a boat and doing gelcoat repairs ain't fun

Return to “Boating”