Mercury VesselView Link or Smartcraft Engine Gateway. Is there a difference?

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Mercury VesselView Link or Smartcraft Engine Gateway. Is there a difference?

Post by Kestrel » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi folks

I want to link my Lowrance HDS Live with a new Mercury 175HP outboard V6

It seems as if I have a choice between using the VesselView Link box and the Smartcraft Gateway which is about 50% less expensive.

So what are the functionality differences between the 2 pieces of gear?

Am I correct in assuming that with the VesselView Link I can calibrate and set data preferences but with the Gateway it will only report data?

Advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Kestrel

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Mercury VesselView Link or Smartcraft Engine Gateway. Is there a difference?

Post by cobby » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:32 pm

What gauge setup do you currently have? If you've already got a Vesselview screen linking the engine to the sounder will be of little to no benefit

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Mercury VesselView Link or Smartcraft Engine Gateway. Is there a difference?

Post by Kestrel » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks Cobby. Perhaps I should explain a little more.

what I am interested in is purchasing a VesselView Link device. It is a 'black box' that connects to a lowrance HDS and has the capacity to turn it into VesselView screen which means that most separate, stand alone gauges won't be necessary. It also removes the need for a separate VesselView screen.

Mercury also put out another device called a Smartcraft Gateway that also connects to the HDS removing the need for most gauges.

My question is about the relative merits of the two devices.

Regards

Kestrel

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:35 pm

The 2 do basically the same thing, transmit and decode engine data so the lowrance can display the info. But unless you've got 12" or more of screen real estate running engine data with a single sonar display and gps makes for very small images and could ultimately **** you off even with the ease of touch screen.

I'd weigh up the pros and cons of deleting a standalone engine display against the knowledge of having smaller images on your HDS screen. If it was me, I'd be asking for the 403 Vesselview thrown in with the motor and keeping the HDS strictly for sonar/gps

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:36 am

They are similar but different.
We went through this a week or so ago with a customer and the difference we got told from Mercury, is the Smartcraft gateway will send most data and is cheaper, but the Vessel link is what you want if you want all data etc.

Personally id get (if you have the room and dashboard space) a VV703 as you gauges and leave the HDS to your gps/sound. The VV403 are too small IMHO and can be hard to read.

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:45 am

If it’s any help, I’ve got a Merc with a VV 4 and a Simrad Evo. The VV came as a package with the motor, don’t know if it was thrown in free or not. But I linked them with a nmea backbone and it displays all the engine data on the Simrad.
As you might know, Lowrance and Simrad are same parent company so compatible in communication so it works fine.
The advantage of this setup is now I can (have done) add extra data gathering inputs onto the backbone. So I have installed a fuel flow meter - that was the main reason I wanted to install the backbone so I could get an accurate indication of the fuel used and fuel remaining.
I guess what I’m trying to say is have a think about if you might want to add other feedback and how you will do it at this stage of deciding what method you use to link your motor data to your Lowrance display.
I find the VV display is small but it’s fine for me, I can read the screen and switch screens fine. It doesn’t take up much room either which suits my boats helm. But now I have it linked up to the Simrad all the data and screens are accessible on the Simrad anyway so I use that all the time now.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Yota,
I'm going to be running a evo 7 and 9, will more than likely go to mercury proX
Could you take a photo of your set up, very interested. cheers

Col

Yota

Post by Yota » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Hey Col no worries.
Unsure what order and orientation they will be loaded up but here goes.
One photo the middle one - shows the screens early morning the illumination shows better on this shot. This was also taken before I installed the nmea backbone - so no extra data fields possible.
The top photo shows the 2 tabs down the left side and the fuel data fields out on the left of the screen. From memory the fuel data fields I have displayed are:
Fuel remaining in litres
Fuel usage in litres per hour
Distance remaining.
These I believe are all arbitrary except for the fuel remaining figure. It's been accurate for at least 8 top ups of fuel at about 40-50 litres in a 150 litre tank.
Last photo shows the fuel data field removed.

So from memory the data fields show I was burning 55 litres an hour at a speed of 67klm/hour.
That was zooming out the heads with good fish marked on the bottom. It’s a poor quality image unfortunately because I had to reduce the file size to post. you might be able to make out the data numbers.

Cheers
Jamie
Attachments
4A6353CD-87F6-4B5C-8D5B-4F3C05B25D51.jpeg
0995EC5D-3313-4DBE-82C6-7263023325EF.jpeg
5B8D7285-FE63-4C4C-AFCD-D6E70ACA3D71.jpeg

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:28 pm

Thanks Yota, that give me a great insight into set up.
Appreciated

Col

Yota

Post by Yota » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:41 pm

No worries Col.
I'm keen to hear how kestrel goes.

Return to “Boating”