trailer maintenance

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

trailer maintenance

Post by Nude up » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:26 pm

Last time I used my boat as I was connecting the fwd chains that hold the bow down out of the corner of my eye I noticed some rust. On closer inspection I found a u bolt had snapped on a bend.
I have posted a photo not my best but the trailer is approx 3 years old its an easy tow aluminium but the draw bar is steel the u bolt held the aft end of the draw bar to a l section cross member.
Luckily a 12 mm eye bolt held the draw bar to the cross member.

I could not get a u bolt locally the correct size so I rang easy tow who mailed me one free of charge, I don't know why the u bolt snapped overtensioning or a flaw in production.
I thought I would post this so people would give their trailers the once over no matter how old your trailer is something could ho wrong
Attachments
15435771621303.jpg

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: trailer maintenance

Post by ducky » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:38 pm

Jeez that’s a pretty concerning failure. You have any others of those u bolts on the trailer? Would be changing all of the same size out incase it’s a batch issue.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:27 pm

I be checking the rest of the trailer mate

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:11 am

ducky wrote:Jeez that’s a pretty concerning failure. You have any others of those u bolts on the trailer? Would be changing all of the same size out incase it’s a batch issue.
There is only 1 other u bolt holding the draw bar it’s held by 4 bolts through the aluminium I beams at the fwd end. I gave it a very good look with nil damage

Return to “Boating”