Dodgy fuel

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Dodgy fuel

Post by Brett » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Kimtown wrote:Nothing but Shell/BP (prefer BP if I have the option though, every time) for any of my engine products. That's car, boat, bikes, lawn mower, whipper snipper, chain saw... heard too many bad stories about United to even bother.

Unfortunately since my boat is half my old man's and he is old school as anything, it gets filled with United 91 at least 50% of the time. Oh well. He can pay for the new injectors when they inevitably **** up.

United isn’t as bad as everyone thinks. I have run all my cars solely on United for the last 10ish yrs, with no issue. Shell on the other hand, I would rather **** in my tank than use that garbage.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:23 pm

I alway use cheapest fuel in cars and mowers etc but think it's causing issues in the boat

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:33 pm

Years ago safewAy woolies fuel was garabage.my subura would not run very well when i put it in the tank. Fortunately the quality has improved.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:45 pm

Isn't United and Safeway's same parent company?

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:54 pm

Just remember by using that "cheap" fuel you won't get the maximum KM/PL. Especially in new cars. It might not be worth the saving

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:07 am

Sinsemilla wrote:Just remember by using that "cheap" fuel you won't get the maximum KM/PL. Especially in new cars. It might not be worth the saving
What do you count as new cars?
Both ours made in 2012

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:42 am

smile0784 wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:Just remember by using that "cheap" fuel you won't get the maximum KM/PL. Especially in new cars. It might not be worth the saving
What do you count as new cars?
Both ours made in 2012
It really depends on the recommend rom or octane rating. For your vehicle. My mecury 15 hp 2 stoke, got more power and a tank lasted longer when using Premium unleaded. However the American Premium unleaded is equivalent to our standard unleaded.

https://www.etuners.gr/fuel/

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:22 am

Not quite wolly USA fuel is noticeably better than ours.

Their 93 is effectively 102 octane compared to what we use. And I say that from experience with imported cars which have to be retuned to prevent detonation to run on 98 here.

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:39 am

Back to the fuel rating...
Stick to 95 octane...
98 has many detergents, which can work against the oils in 2 strokes...

An example of "Poorer quality fuels" (both had been buying 91 united, non ethanol)
We had 2 customers over the space of 2 years. Both bought United fuel (from 2 different servos) and used the boat. Didnt use their boats for 6 months (both keep very good records of fishing)
1 boat was a 60 Mercury 2 stroke, wouldnt run. We stripped carbies...needles stuck and green gunge in the carby bowls. Cleaned out...good as gold.
The other was a boat with twin 60 efi Mec 4 strokes. Both motors wouldnt run/ran out of fuel. Traced to VST (big carby bowl for efi system) Both had stuck needles in them.
Lucky it was an easy fix, but still costly.

The amount of issues we see daily with fuel is growing. Fuel older than 3-6 months we start to see issues. We purchased a sonic cleaner to make cleaning fuel components easier.

Ethanol fuel in cars is ok...their systems (tanks, lines, fittings) can handle it. Marine systems cant. Fuel tanks arent designed for it, fuel senders, fuel lines, primer bulbs etc. They all break down and ive seen it so many times.
Primer bulbs that you can peel apart, the rubber on the inside just breaks away.

Stick to known brands, use 91-95 octane. Anything else...your gonna have a bad day.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Can I mix is 95 petrol to help clear the lines cos can't remember if put ethanol petrol I'm it

Return to “Boating”