Tinnie advice

Thomassssss

Tinnie advice

Post by Thomassssss » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:20 pm

G’day everyone,

I’m moving down to Margate, Tasmania in the new year and I’m looking to get a secondhand Tinnie to rip around the bay and catch flatties and whatever else I can hook on to. My new place is 5 mins from the dru point jetty for anyone who knows the area.

I am a complete novice when it comes to boating, I often fish from a canoe but I’m looking to step up to a tinnie. I’d like to spend $1500 - $2000 for the boat and trailer. I’m not an idiot and intend to learn how to stay safe and maintain my gear.

I’d really appreciate some advice as to what to look for, things to avoid etc. there is a lot of tinnies on gumtree in that area and I don’t know where to start.

Cheers!

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Tinnie advice

Post by Boonanza » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:01 pm

Tinnies are almost bullet proof and it's a lot harder to hide faults like a fibreglass boat. The motor is the most important part for sure mate. The cooler months are normally a better time to buy and some good buys come along if your patient. :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Thomassssss

Post by Thomassssss » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Boonanza wrote:Tinnies are almost bullet proof and it's a lot harder to hide faults like a fibreglass boat. The motor is the most important part for sure mate. The cooler months are normally a better time to buy and some good buys come along if your patient. :thumbsup:
Cheers Boony, how powerful a motor should I be looking for do you reckon, considering I’ll just be in the bay, and at what point does the power require a license?

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Not sure about Tasmania but in Vic : Recreational boat licence. Anyone operating a powered recreational vessel on Victorian waters requires a marine licence. This includes paddle craft (kayaks, canoes etc.) and sailing boats fitted with a motor, regardless of engine size. You must carry your licence with you when operating a vessel.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Put an extra 500-1k in the budget and you'll generally get an even better deal, 3.5-4m mid 00s. Also the further you look in the country (eildon, lakes, camperdown etc) they can be even cheaper again compared to metro areas

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:05 pm

if it helps you im going to sell my tinnie, 3.5m 15 hp johnson and dubiar trailer 12months reg. has been welded up in 1 spot doesnt leak. comes with old black and white sounder. would be early 2000s model. $2100

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:13 am

Buy your tinnie here and ship it with other things as every thing in Tassie has shipping g added to it

Return to “Boating”