Bar crusher v Surtees v Extreme

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Bar crusher v Surtees v Extreme

Post by Kimtown » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
scott__henning wrote:The only other alloy that I’d consider is stabicraft (is even suggest that the ride is better in stability because of the stability from the pontoons). But they lose out on the fact that they are so ugly.
This. If they are good enough for Paul Worsteling and Matt Black (I'm told Paul copied Matt in this regard) then they should be good enough for anyone. Just gotta deal with the fact they look like a tug boat. Although the big gun metal grey ones look pretty ******* tough
Yeah, I've got some stalking issues with Worsteling....In his defence I think his wife might be instigator.
Chortle chortle

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Mattblack wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Mattblack wrote: *Kiwi plate boats are far superior to the stuff made in Oz (probably something to do with the harsher ocean environment or more competition between the multitude of manufacturers)
bull mate.

Most mass produced plate boats are crap, built cheap. The BC560/610/615 is a prime example. Probably the most over rated overpriced aluminium boat on the market.

Stinkistabi is worth a look up in particular the engineering report into his hull.

I have to admit that the extreme look good but if I was going plate I would get a custom built boat that is built from the inside out.
I know it's a tough pill to swallow, but generally speaking, Kiwis simply build a better boat.
I made no mention of AU vs NZ. Suggest you look up the engineer report into the Stinkistabi. Posted on ausfish.
1 bad review from an anonymous forum poster over a decade ago.....seriously?
Sadly, the proof is in the pudding
I'll give you 10 grand while It's still worth more than scrap value

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:59 pm

Mattblack wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Mattblack wrote: *Kiwi plate boats are far superior to the stuff made in Oz (probably something to do with the harsher ocean environment or more competition between the multitude of manufacturers)
bull mate.

Most mass produced plate boats are crap, built cheap. The BC560/610/615 is a prime example. Probably the most over rated overpriced aluminium boat on the market.

Stinkistabi is worth a look up in particular the engineering report into his hull.

I have to admit that the extreme look good but if I was going plate I would get a custom built boat that is built from the inside out.
I know it's a tough pill to swallow, but generally speaking, Kiwis simply build a better boat.
I made no mention of AU vs NZ. Suggest you look up the engineer report into the Stinkistabi. Posted on ausfish.
It appears the thread has been removed but it was from 2011-2013 not over a decade ago.....

There was an extensive thread with copies of emails and engineering report. Not to mention other people contributing with there own boat failures.

The summary of the engineering report was essentially that the boat was not up to industry standards and a small welding fault caused a much bigger failure. If the boat had been built to industry standards the small fault wouldn't have caused an issue.

Not what I would consider superior stuff and not what I would consider acceptable to be that close to the margins.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:29 pm

frozenpod wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
bull mate.

It appears the thread has been removed but it was from 2011-2013 not over a decade ago.....

There was an extensive thread with copies of emails and engineering report. Not to mention other people contributing with there own boat failures.

The summary of the engineering report was essentially that the boat was not up to industry standards and a small welding fault caused a much bigger failure. If the boat had been built to industry standards the small fault wouldn't have caused an issue.

Not what I would consider superior stuff and not what I would consider acceptable to be that close to the margins.
Meh...tall poppy syndrome I say.
*Forgot to mention the Stabi's a chick magnet :thumbsup:

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:58 pm

2.5mm thick aluminium instead of industry standard 4mm, tall poppy syndrome for sure.......

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:32 pm

Like most boat manufactures, there are examples of failings.

I know there are varying hull thicknesses as a minimum, depending on classification ( ie commercial vessel etc)
But I'd put my house on it that there isn't a Stabi craft built, which is under industry standards, depended on boat class.
They are also one of only a few boats, that are capable of producing, engineered to american national marine standards, Boats, which are far more stringent than both here and in NZ

No other Australian or New Zealand made, mass produced plate boat, has the capability to produce plate boats to this standard. ( to my knowledge)
Been in a few back home, there ugly, but few boats match there performance in the conditions they were designed to perform in.
For me, I wouldn't own one personally, but they are a weapon......

Col

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:35 pm

As I said I’ve fished out of all 4 hulls in the 6.5m range, and the only 2 I would own are the extreme and stabi, both which I felt entirely at ease in 30knot conditions.

In the stabi and barcrusher, they both felt like much smaller boats in the water than what the sticker said on the side.

To summarise:

Extreme:
- Best looking (yes I know that’s subjective)
- Layout is the most practical, no wasted space and nothing to bang your legs on
- most efficient hard top in the 6.5m range. Barcrusher, surtees and stank hardtop aren’t as long and don’t completely protect you
- by far the most dash space.
- the most comfortable boat when trolling. If you do a lot of trolling then the extreme wins easy.

Barcrusher:
- undoubtably the worst ride of the 4. Perhaps something to do with the chines being to wide?
- tallest hard top. Good if you’re over 6’2, bad if you need to fit it in a shed
- super wide gunnels (like the surtees and stabi). Can be annoying when reaching over the side.
- very loud, has the most water noise underway compared to the others

Surtees:
- better ride than barcrusher, but their 6.5m boat is smaller than the others, noticeably. Missing out on beam and deck layout means you lose on space.
- worst dash (if you can even call it a dash)
- otherwise very similar to the barcrusher.

Stabi:
- best ride in **** conditions, beats the extreme mostly because of the pontoons.
- most stable boat by far of them all.
- loses out big time in the looks department.
- depending on model, some have a poor design when it comes to footholds under the gunnels (these are squared off). This is a big problem when fighting fish as you can’t tuck your feet under and lead against the gunnel when fighting.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:08 pm

scott__henning wrote:As I said I’ve fished out of all 4 hulls in the 6.5m range, and the only 2 I would own are the extreme and stabi, both which I felt entirely at ease in 30knot conditions.

In the stabi and barcrusher, they both felt like much smaller boats in the water than what the sticker said on the side.

To summarise:

Extreme:
- Best looking (yes I know that’s subjective)
- Layout is the most practical, no wasted space and nothing to bang your legs on
- most efficient hard top in the 6.5m range. Barcrusher, surtees and stank hardtop aren’t as long and don’t completely protect you
- by far the most dash space.
- the most comfortable boat when trolling. If you do a lot of trolling then the extreme wins easy.

Barcrusher:
- undoubtably the worst ride of the 4. Perhaps something to do with the chines being to wide?
- tallest hard top. Good if you’re over 6’2, bad if you need to fit it in a shed
- super wide gunnels (like the surtees and stabi). Can be annoying when reaching over the side.
- very loud, has the most water noise underway compared to the others

Surtees:
- better ride than barcrusher, but their 6.5m boat is smaller than the others, noticeably. Missing out on beam and deck layout means you lose on space.
- worst dash (if you can even call it a dash)
- otherwise very similar to the barcrusher.

Stabi:
- best ride in sh*t conditions, beats the extreme mostly because of the pontoons.
- most stable boat by far of them all.
- loses out big time in the looks department.
- depending on model, some have a poor design when it comes to footholds under the gunnels (these are squared off). This is a big problem when fighting fish as you can’t tuck your feet under and lead against the gunnel when fighting.
Lots of good points there.
Just curious what's the price difference on the 4 boats?
Similar or varied?
Worth putting up with some cons to save some cash?

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:19 pm

In terms of price, the Barcrusher is the cheapest usually but not by much, and you end up with less boat just like the surtees.

Extreme and stabi are usually about the same price.

For comparisons sake they are all reasonably similar as they are all in direct competition with each other.

Ironically the TABS, Stacer and Trident’s all ask a similar price as well when they are all mass produced garbage in comparison.

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:58 pm

mr plow wrote:have a look at profile and senator boat. if you like the pontoon styles of stabi but have a sharper cutting for going through the chop.
Cheers mr plow will investergate

Return to “Boating”