Size and power

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Size and power

Post by A-a-ron » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:10 pm

Hey everyone, so recently the fiancée said that in a couple months for the birthday I can go out a buy a boat, was just wondering what size and power would be nessesary for westernport and port Phillip. Been looking at some 4.2m-5m boats around the 60hp-90hp range. I’ve been in a couple hire boats that have a 15hp and 18ho engine, it’s quite sad when other boats just fly past while you putt along. Would be looking to do some distance without it taking 5 hours just to get to each spot for an example say yaringa to stony point then over to say Boucher channel area. Any help would be great, also this will be my first boat, never been around them as I’ve never really known anyone with one so I’ve got no idea what power and size is decent and for a beginner with some experience in hires boats.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Size and power

Post by bowl » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:32 pm

Each boat come with a recommended max hp rating.

You will need to identify what type of boat you want.
Fibreglass, aluminum or polyycraft.
Type : runner about, cabin, bow rider, centre or side console...
Budget determines how old boat might be...
Boats of had.
Brookes 410 ,tiller steer with 25 hp. Was ok for boat.
Caribbean cobra 4.88. 90 hp boat was a jet.
Savage 455 0sprey , 50hp , little slow ...
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:45 pm

Budget needed before recommendations can be made. Do you need a cabin? Helm a must or happy for tiller steer? Preference for glass or alloy (or poly)? Towing vehicle (even a 5m glass boat can nudge 1500kg loaded up to go)?

Alloy don't need as much hp for their size due to weight, but you sacrifice handling (also due to weight) and noise. Each boat will require different hp depending on the hull

Gummysmasher

Post by Gummysmasher » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:54 pm

I have a 90 suzuki on my 535 bar crusher, gets to about 45 km max but its quick enough and will get you there no worries, you don't even know its running its that quiet! for that size boat you definitely don't need anything near a 90.

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Post by A-a-ron » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:06 pm

Not too sure on what type to get alloy, glass or polly. Got a 4x4 that will tow 2,800kgs max. Haven’t got a budget yet and not too fussy on what type of boat it is or the age.. maybe a half cabin or something with a canopy so can fish in the rain and summer.

So say I got a half cabin 4.5m 70hp would that be decent enough to have a bit of power to travel distance in a decent amount of time and stable enough to handle the swell, current ect easy enough at westernport in some places.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:04 pm

A-a-ron wrote:Not too sure on what type to get alloy, glass or polly. Got a 4x4 that will tow 2,800kgs max. Haven’t got a budget yet and not too fussy on what type of boat it is or the age.. maybe a half cabin or something with a canopy so can fish in the rain and summer.

So say I got a half cabin 4.5m 70hp would that be decent enough to have a bit of power to travel distance in a decent amount of time and stable enough to handle the swell, current ect easy enough at westernport in some places.
As a general rule yes, but each boat is different. Some require less hp for similar holeshot and speed performance as others but there are other trade offs in other areas to consider.

Without budget it's hard to do, my list where examples under $20k can be found would be:
Haines Signature 470/490/492/493
Haines Hunter 470 (older 445s are better, but rebuilt are pricey or they're cheap and rotted out or close to it)
Seafarer Vsea
Cruise Craft Explorer 500/Regal 485
Southwind/Southern Star 500
Caribbean Cobra/Offshore
Streaker 4.58/4.85
Savage Centurion.

For absolute peak performance all those should have 90-115hp on them, you'd get away with 75hp though. Each has differences and performs differently to the others. They're all glass, it's my preference.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:01 am

Get something 4.8mts or longer so you have the option not to wear a lifejacket (*unless alone, weather bad etc)
Spend all your money on it before you get married.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:03 am

We had a Brooker Discovery 5.25 with a 70hp on it. Maxed out at about 50km ph. Was plenty enough for travel.

Although it’s more a case of boat/engine combination rather than max hp.

When you find a boat you like research the engine Hp range for the boat. Preferably you want it to be on the higher end of that range if you are after speed.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:34 am

I had a 90hp on a 5.2mt caddy cab Quintrex. And got upto 55km /h depending how many ppl you have on board and how much gear you have.

Just remember power and speed are irrelevant if condition are bad.
Most times I sit on 30km in western port

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:30 pm

For a first time boater with very little experience an alloy boat is probably better as they are more forgiving when knocked on trailers or jetties.

As others have said all boats have a maximum horsepower rating so try to pick one with an engine that is up the higher end of the scale.

Return to “Boating”