Lowrance side scan screen shots of salmon school

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Lowrance side scan screen shots of salmon school

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Gday people.

Many of the regulars Here might know about my previous salmon outings and how i mentioned to use the side scan on the sounder and find the schools.
well i was out this afternoon and got into some nice salmon action again, the fish weren't big by any means as compared to some of my previous captures, but this time i remembered to take some proper screen shots of the sounder so you guys can see what im talking about.

we found a very nice school of salmon this afternoon and again used the lowrance units side scan to find where the fish actually are, once found we then cast into the school and snag a few fish before the school scatters or we drift off the school, then we repeat the same process again, drive around the general vicinity looking at the sidescan to find out which way the school is travelling..

we did take what we thought was a video of finding the school, locating which side the fish were on, casting into it hooking up and landing the fish, only to find out it recoreded 5 seconds of the video, FML.....camera man needs to be sacked :down:

seen here in the 2 pics is a screen shot of the school in traditional sonar on the top half (big red wall is the salmon school) and on the bottom is the school in sidescan, you can see the fish spread out on both sides of the boat, (30m to the right and left side of the boat in the top pic, and 20m to left and right of the boat in the 2nd pic) in both this instance we drove right over the school, ..
Screenshot_2019-01-14_15.32.08.png
Screenshot_2019-01-14_15.58.58.png

in this instance you can see that theres a lot more of the school sitting to the left side of the screen/boat and also how far away from the boat they are, literally right under the boat and all the way to 30m to the left side, with a small patch sitting on the right side as well. so its quite obvious where the fish are sitting and you cast into them accordingly, note that on the traditional sonar it still looks the same as the other screen shot (aka, you cannot tell which side of the boat the fish are on)
Screenshot_2019-01-14_16.03.53.png

this one is showing a school to the left side of the boat, with a possible small patch to the right side
Screenshot_2019-01-14_15.45.34.png
what i havent managed to capture is an actual school sitting to the side of the boat totally out of sight of the traditional sonar cone, but still able to be captured by the sidescan, that is the best situation as you would have missed the whole school on traditional sonar.. but what i have captured instead is below which will be very similar
here you can see what a traditional sonar looks like as opposed to what the sidescan which is telling me there is a nice reef on the right side of the boat whereas the traditional sonar just looks blank

Screenshot_2019-01-10_14.30.55.png

i usually don't run a split screen when im searching, but i included it in there so you guys can see what the difference is between the traditional sonar and the side scan.

and here are some pics of some of the local reefs i have taken as well..
Screenshot_2019-01-10_14.37.46.png
Screenshot_2018-06-10_14.10.19.png
Screenshot_2019-01-10_14.41.25.png
i hope this will help some of you guys to go out and have a good play with your sounders and get some results like i have been getting..
any questions please ask, and keep it clean please.
cheers

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Lowrance side scan screen shots of salmon school

Post by mazman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Should start taking a few screenshots on mine, all the fish I weighed in over the weekend at bemm were found with sidescan, incredibly handy to have.

For those getting into it, it also pays to play with the colour palette, everyone is different but there's a couple I prefer to that one
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:02 am

Fantastic post...appreciate your hard work. :thumbsup:

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:18 am

Wish my sounder had sidescan now :(

Also, is that a big kingy on the left in the first screenshot amongst the salmon?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:00 am

Great report mate! Very informative.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:01 am

Kimtown wrote:Wish my sounder had sidescan now :(

Also, is that a big kingy on the left in the first screenshot amongst the salmon?
I saw that as well and was wondering what it was...

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:22 am

More importantly there was something bigger just off the side of the school.

Very common for gummies, seals to follow salmon schools.

Find a school catch a salmon send out a chunk bait and 9 out of 10 times you will hook up to a gummy.

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:25 am

Great post :thumbsup:

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:28 am

frozenpod wrote:More importantly there was something bigger just off the side of the school.

Very common for gummies, seals to follow salmon schools.

Find a school catch a salmon send out a chunk bait and 9 out of 10 times you will hook up to a gummy.
Surely a gummy can't catch or chew/swallow a live salmon? I thought they were more foragers rather than predators.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:01 am

Might just be following the school for left over sardines ect.

All I know is they always seem to be following salmon schools and it is super easy to turn a salmon into a gummy.

Return to “Boating”