Trailer Modifications

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Trailer Modifications

Post by frozenpod » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:29 pm

A picture of the trailer from the rear without the boat on would be helpful.

I would start by making sure the wobble rollers ie the left side vs the right side are the same distance from the center.

Then check they are the same height.

How much weight is on the keel rollers?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:12 pm

Ok, trailer depth & driving is fine. Keel has no marks, but port bow is scratched (see pics)
0E8ED293-773C-4990-9F8C-1C8254D3AB2E.jpeg
I wobble rollers seem ok, but the keel is not sitting in the middle of the keel rollers (the whole rig weighs about a tonne)
*also correction, it goes to the right, not left and I suspect the split pin below is causing the scratches
A009ACC3-DFD7-4179-AF0A-41C1D80754F1.jpeg
A009ACC3-DFD7-4179-AF0A-41C1D80754F1.jpeg (15.04 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Attachments
B367CA1C-47A1-4F73-B286-D865B4853D60.jpeg

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:33 pm

Hi Mattblack, if you have room ? Could you fit double rollers instead of the single pair rollers ?
Unfortunately this is the only image I’ve got of my trailer roller but you get the idea. It shows the front 2/3 of the double roller assembly.
Attachments
6C6B22EE-9B9E-41D8-B152-0953BA95E724.jpeg

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:47 pm

Needs adjustment. You can see it is out of alignment.

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:57 pm

Cheers guys, might take it down to Braeside with a list of all your recommendations & get it sorted before I rip a hole in the hull. :thumbsup:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:24 pm

Hi Mattblack. Getting the Baby correct in the cradle is always a good thing
frozenpod wrote:Needs adjustment. You can see it is out of alignment.
I ditto with frozenpod, oh by the way "Hi frozenpod".

With what you have said AND your "telling" photo, it seems more of an adjustment issue than the need for extra rollers (mind you extra rollers would at minimum help with the weight distribution). Not sure from which way a "left" "right" perspective is taken from , , , , so I shall explain my ramblings from the boat's view, facing the trailer/car as it goes on to the trailer.
Alignment issue.PNG
The way it seems to me. From your photo, the centre of your keel rests on the further most bow keel roller to the left (while facing your car). Then further stern from that roller, the centre of that part of the keel rest on the next keel roller (the next one towards the stern of the boat) it rest on the right of that roller (while facing the car). Not that it can be seen from the photos if there is a further stern keel roller, a third keel roller that is further stern than those two seen in the photo. BUT, I would say that the boat is initially contacting the trailer with a right-hand bias, ie, contacting the trailer further right than centre (facing the car). That would explain the scratches on the left (port side) of the boat.
Alignment issue rollers.PNG
frozenpod wrote:A picture of the trailer from the rear without the boat on would be helpful.

I would start by making sure the wobble rollers ie the left side vs the right side are the same distance from the center.

As frozenpod (Hi again) also said making sure the rollers are aligned equally correctly. But there also seems the need for a leftward movement of the rear rollers or roller/tilt setup to move the first contact movement with the trailer to be more left of where it is making first contact with now.

Not sure if that helps, or fits what you have but with what you have presented, it seems so to me.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted on how you go.

Cheers, Bill

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:32 pm

Mattblack wrote:Cheers guys, might take it down to Braeside with a list of all your recommendations & get it sorted before I rip a hole in the hull. :thumbsup:
Hi Mattblack, sorry I was text rambling while you sent your last post. Smart guy, best thing, get it professionally sorted.

Cheers, Bill

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:44 pm

Agreee with smile. Try not backing in the trailer so deep for your retrieve. Just put the last rollers under water and leave the rest above waterline. Your boat should settle into the centre. It's a common mistake to go too deep.

Deep for a launch but shallow for a retrieve. If this doesn't work you might need more rollers but usually this works..

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:40 am

Bugatti wrote:Hi Mattblack. Getting the Baby correct in the cradle is always a good thing
frozenpod wrote:Needs adjustment. You can see it is out of alignment.
I ditto with frozenpod, oh by the way "Hi frozenpod".

With what you have said AND your "telling" photo, it seems more of an adjustment issue than the need for extra rollers (mind you extra rollers would at minimum help with the weight distribution). Not sure from which way a "left" "right" perspective is taken from , , , , so I shall explain my ramblings from the boat's view, facing the trailer/car as it goes on to the trailer.

Alignment issue.PNG
The way it seems to me. From your photo, the centre of your keel rests on the further most bow keel roller to the left (while facing your car). Then further stern from that roller, the centre of that part of the keel rest on the next keel roller (the next one towards the stern of the boat) it rest on the right of that roller (while facing the car). Not that it can be seen from the photos if there is a further stern keel roller, a third keel roller that is further stern than those two seen in the photo. BUT, I would say that the boat is initially contacting the trailer with a right-hand bias, ie, contacting the trailer further right than centre (facing the car). That would explain the scratches on the left (port side) of the boat.
Alignment issue rollers.PNG
frozenpod wrote:A picture of the trailer from the rear without the boat on would be helpful.

As frozenpod (Hi again) also said making sure the rollers are aligned equally correctly. But there also seems the need for a leftward movement of the rear rollers or roller/tilt setup to move the first contact movement with the trailer to be more left of where it is making first contact with now.

Not sure if that helps, or fits what you have but with what you have presented, it seems so to me.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted on how you go.

Cheers, Bill
Mate...what a response! 100% agree with what you (& everyone else) has said about my issue. What really sh!ts me is that when I 1st got theboat a few years ago, I told the dealer I thought it wasn’t sitting in the trailer straight & was told it was normal & most boats did that. Seems to have gotten worse this season so I’m presuming it’s got itself more out of alignment.
I’m sure it’s an easy fix, but instead of mucking around I think I’ll shoot down to https://trailerrepaircentre.com (thanks Steve) and get them to get it running right. I’ll post the results...thanks again everyone

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:18 am

I've got a dunbier skid trailer, which I drive on fairly easily anyway?

Could it be converted to rollers for even more simplicity or should I just keep it the way it is if I'm not having too much problems?

Return to “Boating”