Has liked: 81 times

Re: Bar crossing goes wrong

Post by frozenpod » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:11 pm

April Fool wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:19 pm
frozenpod wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:37 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt1P6IXSKpE

Lucky escape, and gets away with it just the on the 2nd attempt.
I am not a boating person but could some of the 'luck' have something to do with the quality of the boat...stability or similar?
Cheers
Team Bender
Hates boats!
Yes some boats are more prone to broaching than others.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:48 pm

April Fool wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:19 pm

I am not a boating person but could some of the 'luck' have something to do with the quality of the boat...stability or similar?
Cheers
Team Bender
Hates boats!
Boating is such a contentious issue Jim , , , , just like how we all think we are "good" drivers on the roads.

There is so much to it, that the answer to your question is a complicated one. But mostly revolves around experience and knowledge , , , , and of course with any issues in life , , , , staying calm enough to do what you know to do.

Knowing your ability and limitations , , , , AND , , , , your boat's ability and limitations. You are right, the stability/handling of each boat is important and it is different for different boats and one needs to be aware of that , , , , through experience

AND knowing how Mother Nature works is a big advantage , , , , and us blokes never truly understand women, so treat her with caution , , , , because there's no "sleeping on the couch" option if you get Mother Nature wrong.

Those "trailing wave" videos of being swamped, is only one of a multitude of things that are out there to worry about. Telling someone or knowing what to do, doesn't substitute experiencing it yourself. So as re-tyred says, learn on the little waves and work your way up.

Using these posts as an example, these guys know what it takes

rb85 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:31 pm
Wolly Bugger wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:11 pm
re-tyred wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:38 pm
Yeah, Bugatti, you have it.

It showed he was inexperienced. An inexperienced person should not use a day like that to gain experience. They should go on flat days until they learn how to setup and drive their boat over bars. If the waves are breaking where you want to go and it is your first or one of just a few times, then stay home.
Heading to Apollo bay next month and that presents a challenge exiting and entering the harbour. It usually means sitting in the harbour until a set has gone through, poking the nose out looking for a spot that is flatter than the rest. Timing is important, especially if there are surfers, surfing the break wall.
Places like Apollo Bay and Warnambool it's well worth paying close attention to not just the wind forecasts but the swell forecasts also. There is no way I would roll into those towns with no idea of the swell conditions.

Luck favours the "prepared" , , , , and the "knowledged" , , , , and the "experienced" , , , , and the "cautious"

Being a Captain isn't a title , , , , it's a responsibility

Cheers, Bug

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:24 am

Most experience comes from making mistakes, so watching these vids and taking note is part of it. The guys that made those mistakes are much wiser now.
I am cautious because I have made my share of stuff ups.
To name a few of the more memorable. Sunk 40 nm out in July at night! Rolled on the bar in the days before it was dredged. Fallen over the side. Ejected everyone including myself out of the RIB and other less dramatic ones. 50 plus years of boating both as a living and for fun means quite a few ohh$%&# moments. I am never hard on those that we rescue, we all stuff up
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:57 am

re-tyred wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:24 am
Most experience comes from making mistakes, so watching these vids and taking note is part of it. The guys that made those mistakes are much wiser now.
I am cautious because I have made my share of stuff ups.
To name a few of the more memorable. Sunk 40 nm out in July at night! Rolled on the bar in the days before it was dredged. Fallen over the side. Ejected everyone including myself out of the RIB and other less dramatic ones. 50 plus years of boating both as a living and for fun means quite a few ohh$%&# moments. I am never hard on those that we rescue, we all stuff up
re-tyred have you found since Lakes has become more of a gamefish destination there have been more incidents on the Bar?

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:42 am

rb85 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:57 am

re-tyred have you found since Lakes has become more of a gamefish destination there have been more incidents on the Bar?
The current game fishers are somewhat experienced and have decent boats. With an odd exception. At this stage there hasn't been many get into trouble. We do have pretty much the highest call out numbers outside of PPB. These are mostly, broken down or out of fuel around the lake and on the snapper grounds. We have quite a lot swept out the entrance on the ebb tide and still a few roll overs and swamping on the bar. When you consider that the dredged part of the bar is maintained at 5mtrs and only 3mtrs plus swells break on the flood tide, there should not be incidents on the bar. Incidents on the bar are all wrong place wrong time .
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:45 am

Friendly tip to all:

Buy a jetski and turn scary bar crossings into a safe and fun experience for all!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:37 am

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:45 am
Friendly tip to all:

Buy a jetski and turn scary bar crossings into a safe and fun experience for all!
Just as dangerous as being in a boat if you have no experience in crossing a bar
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:55 am

bowl wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:37 am
Kimtown wrote:
Friendly tip to all:

Just as dangerous as being in a boat if you have no experience in crossing a bar
bowl, that is the key word that repeats itself in most posts through this thread , , , , experience

Cheers, Bug

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:23 pm

Exactly

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:35 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:55 am
bowl wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:37 am
Kimtown wrote:
Friendly tip to all:

bowl, that is the key word that repeats itself in most posts through this thread , , , , experience

Cheers, Bug

Experience! How do you get it?

Mostly by doing stuff, like going over bars and talking to people who have more experience, watching, but by the end of the day, it comes down to actually doing it.

Another forum, referred to Port Phillip bay as the gay bay, yet PPB has claimed numerous lives over the years. I've been on the bay when there are waves of at least 2 metres in height and I didn't sink my boat, It was challenging to get back to the boat ramp, requiring a zig zag course.

Take for example Port Phillip heads, to gain experience about crossing the heads, I went on a charter, then did a rip tour with https://www.orcv.org.au/training/rip-to ... llip-heads.

I have been in and out of the heads a few times now, but still don't feel 100% comfortable with it.

Just this year at Portland, a cool change came through earlier than forecast, life jackets on and we headed back to Portland from Cape Bridgewater, the swell and waves were a following sea, and as we came around Lawerence Rock, it meant crossing that sea at an angle, not exactly comfortable.

A lot of this was keeping the speed just right, and having the boat trimmed correctly.

Keeping the speed just right, meant not too fast that we overtook waves and not too slow that they would catch the boat.

Return to “Boating”