Battery replacement

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Battery replacement

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:50 am

KeenAds wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:16 pm
Last of all, most outboats 75hp or bellow should be able to start with a rope. Its good piece of mind keeping a length of cord in your boat if you get caught out. Even practice this at home so your confidence in starting it is high so you don't panic if it happens on the water. Obviously a warm engine is going to be easier to start than a cold one.
A lot of the time you will find a starter cord stuck up under the engine cowling for this very reason.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:04 pm

ango wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:24 pm
Hi all,
I was wondering how often you guys replace your starting batteries.
My first trip in my then brand new boat was in Sept 2006. I replaced the battery in December 2011, even though it seemed OK at the time. The new batter then died in August 2017, lucky a mate had a jump starter & came to my rescue.
I am wondering when I should replace the battery which is now a couple of years old, it seems they last about 5 years. The one that died seemed OK on the day it died, I moved around a fair bit and it died without warning after having successfully starting the boat 4 or 5 times. I keep the batteries charged with a trickle charger which I turn on for a few hours every week. Also the motor is 50HP carby 2stroke with oil injection and now has about 550 hours on it, do you think there is plenty of life still in it, the compression is OK when I get it serviced.
Love to hear what you all think.

Cheers
Ango.
How many batteries do you run?
If twin set up how they wired in?
How often do you get out or charge them?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:58 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:50 am
KeenAds wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:16 pm
Last of all, most outboats 75hp or bellow should be able to start with a rope. Its good piece of mind keeping a length of cord in your boat if you get caught out. Even practice this at home so your confidence in starting it is high so you don't panic if it happens on the water. Obviously a warm engine is going to be easier to start than a cold one.
A lot of the time you will find a starter cord stuck up under the engine cowling for this very reason.
I always wondered this too.. if the motor can be pulled started if battery **** itself. I reckon it would be a handy feature and should be a mandatory feature on all outboards for safety reasons..
Yes that's what the secondary battery is for. But many people dont have a second one on a smaller craft. And half the time the ones that have it dont charge it enough to maintain it properly..

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:01 pm

To reply to the OP.

I've changed my battery after 2 years because the charge indicator was saying to replace it.
I never charged my battery for the first year since I figured it was being charged by the outboard.
Now I charge it after every trip.
I also have an AGM batter for the trolling motor which is 3 years old and probably will need to be replaced sometime in the future..
Will have to get my batteries tested somewhere and see how much charge each one has

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:38 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:01 pm
To reply to the OP.

I've changed my battery after 2 years because the charge indicator was saying to replace it.
I never charged my battery for the first year since I figured it was being charged by the outboard.
I also have an AGM batter for the trolling motor which is 3 years old and probably will need to be replaced sometime in the future..
Will have to get my batteries tested somewhere and see how much charge each one has
My gps has a function that tells you how the battery is going & sounds an alarm when it’s getting low...no idea how accurate it is though

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:14 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:38 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:01 pm
To reply to the OP.

My gps has a function that tells you how the battery is going & sounds an alarm when it’s getting low...no idea how accurate it is though
Yep I have it turned on as well. That's what made me change my first battery... alarm.would go off after a while of fishing. So I replaced battery eventually..

Return to “Boating”