Battery help wanted

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Battery help wanted

Post by hornet » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:16 pm

Thx for the input guys, I'll total up the voltages of what I use now and in a worse case scenario running nav lights and bilge pump till it's flat.

By the way with the full sealed floor I'm fitting there's no way to bucket any water under the floor, so because of this I'm also fitting a manual hand pump for redundancy, just in case the electric pump fails or battery dies.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Boat-Manual ... 2749.l2649

You see guys fitting out tinnies with fancy top decks with carpet and removing buoyancy to fit tackle storage and sealed floors.

But only relying on electric bilge pumps, if the electrics fail and you take on water good luck trying to bail the water under the sealed deck !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:29 pm

In my 5.6mt trailecraft the floor is sealed and I have a access port behind the motor to stick a hose I have attached to bilge pump and I just attach it to the battery if i need it.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:36 pm

If you can fit it in your budget I'd look at the 17.5a FPV Li Ion batteries. I've got one in the kayak, it's got a good water tight plug and the battery itself is fully sealed so it doesn't matter if it gets a bit wet.

A battery that size will run the fish finder for a few days which is handy if you're camping and don't have a portable palace to recharge things like Cheater has.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:57 pm

hornet wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:16 pm
Thx for the input guys, I'll total up the voltages of what I use now and in a worse case scenario running nav lights and bilge pump till it's flat.

By the way with the full sealed floor I'm fitting there's no way to bucket any water under the floor, so because of this I'm also fitting a manual hand pump for redundancy, just in case the electric pump fails or battery dies.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Boat-Manual ... 2749.l2649

You see guys fitting out tinnies with fancy top decks with carpet and removing buoyancy to fit tackle storage and sealed floors.

But only relying on electric bilge pumps, if the electrics fail and you take on water good luck trying to bail the water under the sealed deck !

The most unnerving thing I have seen and been a part of, is a tinnie a mate had some years back. He fitted the bungplug from the inside, so he could take it out from the inside of the tinnie. To remove the bilge water that accumulated as fishing goes, he would, when motoring along, lean down and remove the bungplug :o_0: , the water would just run out of the tinnie due to the slope of the hull. Very unnerving to see but it worked a treat.

I couldn't do it but he seemed ok with it , , , , so much so, that he ended up just using a rubber stopper for ease of not having to unscrew a plug

Cheers, Bugz

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:49 am

Great idea for those who remember to put it back in

Return to “Boating”