Cheaters Skiff

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Cheaters Skiff

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:12 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:13 pm
Do you have a time frame?
no time frame I'll just keep chipping away at it - I still have a couple of kayaks I can fish off it was more a project for the time I can't get on the water + I enjoyed building my sea kayak it was quite different for me working with wood

once I get this done I'll look at building another kayak - this time a fishing ski
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:13 pm

well there has been a little progress through the week

I got the front bulkhead made and the 2 front stringers both all zipped in place - also I have the boat clamped up well on the assembly jig all nice and true
IMG_1692.JPG
IMG_1693.JPG
the hole at the bottom of the front bulkhead will need a plate cut and fitted to seal it off - this will have drains to the outside and the well in the front will be for the anchor
the large rectangular section between the front and next bulkhead will be dry storage with a sealed hatch
and 2 small floor sections need to go in both sides to bring the floor up to the small hatch openings in the second bulkhead
but these will need to be done after some glassing
IMG_1694.JPG
IMG_1695.JPG
last thing I did tonight was to stick/tack some of the seams with thickened epoxy - tomorrow I'll be able to remove the zippy ties along these seams and fill properly with thickened epoxy and also glass tape
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:12 am

Hi Cheater

Love ya work. It's coming along beautifully. There's just something about building a "boat" (Skiff) out of wood that has that romance about it.

cheaterparts wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:13 pm

last thing I did tonight was to stick/tack some of the seams with thickened epoxy
Just a question, what do you use to thicken up the epoxy? I use talcum powder (and get the funny looks :oo: from the checkout lady when I buy 4 from Coles). On the plus side, I use disposable surgical gloves when doing glass work or epoxying and the talc helps with getting them on.

Cheers, Bugatti

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:09 am

Bugatti wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:12 am
cheaterparts wrote:

last thing I did tonight was to stick/tack some of the seams with thickened epoxy
Just a question, what do you use to thicken up the epoxy? I use talcum powder (and get the funny looks :oo: from the checkout lady when I buy 4 from Coles). On the plus side, I use disposable surgical gloves when doing glass work or epoxying

"Just a question, what do you use to thicken up the epoxy?" I first bought a small tub of some kind of thickening power from the place I get my Botcoat ( epoxy ) but now I use wood dust
and in fact it's Paulownia wood dust - I collected the dust from my band saw when stripping up the Paulownia ( wood ) for my kayak build it maybe a little coarser than wood flour that you can buy but it mixes into the epoxy ok and holds it in place which is about all it has to do

just the dust off the strips for one kayak build would probably be about 6 or 7 litres so it goes a long way for stuff you would normally put in the bin

and also use those latex gloves they are a God send - dont know if its just me but I dont seam to be able to do any epoxy work with out getting it all over my hands
My kayak PBs

Cheater

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:12 pm

There has been a bit going on with the skiff and on the Week End instead of unpacking the kite to go fly in the park ( the string would have broken anyway )

So most of the seams for the bulk heads and stingers were epoxy/glass taped and so the scarfing and gluing of the side pannels was next on the list
IMG_1699.JPG
some extra holes were also put in the transom - the upper holes is still the main drains off the deck and the lower holes will be covered by the extension boxes beside the motor - these holes save about 1.2 kg in the wood removed ( I weighed it ) and will give me access to foam fill the extensions with flotation
IMG_1707.JPG
this was done on Saturday and apart from some running around to pick up stuff including running to the Springvale market for some Pillies
half a plan was hatched to fish Sunday but looked at the wind forecast and worked on the skiff instead

IMG_1711.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG
so Sunday the sides were Zippied on and glued in place and the taping finished off after work on Monday

So Monday after work apart from finishing off the epoxy/taping of the sides I also got the back sections stuck on the boat

So Monday after work apart from finishing off the epoxy/taping of the sides I also got the back sections stuck on the boat
IMG_1713.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG
these just need a bit of glassing and the tops fitted but will happen after the bottom is glassed

IMG_1713.JPG
and tonight I scarfed up a couple of pieces of hard wood to fit along the outside of the gunnel to support the sides - I'll get them glued up tomorrow with a bit of luck and then the boat can be turned over to fill and sand then glass the bottom

I'd like to think take will be done by the end of the W/E but depends on the weather - it would be nice to get out for a fish
KLZJ6225.JPG
these just need a bit of glassing and the tops fitted but will happen after the bottom is glassed

IMG_1716.JPG
and tonight I scarfed up a couple of pieces of hard wood to fit along the outside of the gunnel to support the sides - I'll get them glued up tomorrow with a bit of luck and then the boat can be turned over to fill and sand then glass the bottom

I'd like to think take will be done by the end of the W/E but depends on the weather - it would be nice to get out for a fish
My kayak PBs

Cheater

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:53 pm

Looks really good!

Edit: I read through properly and answered all my own questions haha..enjoy

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:10 pm

Wood poetry in motion :tu:

There is something about working with wood, the rawness of it, "nature's building material, dare I say it "the romance".

Leonardo da Vinci said once about carving a statue out of marble, he said "The statue was always there, he just took the other bits away". Well Cheater, nothing like that for you , , , , there was no Skiff in your garage, you are actually building it. Looks awesome so far.

Now, go cover that raw romantic wood in epoxy :)

It has to be done, I know

Cheers, Bugatti

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:29 am

Come along nicely steveo.. lots of effort put in there.
Did you get rid of the car from the garage?
I see the beemer hasn't moved from its resting spot..

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:51 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
well there has been a little progress through the week

I got the front bulkhead made and the 2 front stringers both all zipped in place - also I have the boat clamped up well on the assembly jig all nice and true

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

the hole at the bottom of the front bulkhead will need a plate cut and fitted to seal it off - this will have drains to the outside and the well in the front will be for the anchor
the large rectangular section between the front and next bulkhead will be dry storage with a sealed hatch
and 2 small floor sections need to go in both sides to bring the floor up to the small hatch openings in the second bulkhead
but these will need to be done after some glassing

IMG_1694.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

last thing I did tonight was to stick/tack some of the seams with thickened epoxy - tomorrow I'll be able to remove the zippy ties along these seams and fill properly with thickened epoxy and also glass tape
Looking good mate
Getting there slowly

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:00 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:29 am
Come along nicely steveo.. lots of effort put in there.
Did you get rid of the car from the garage?
I see the beemer hasn't moved from its resting spot..
yes a few things have to go - I think Ebay may get a work out soon

the race car is still in my way - must get it going again and see if it will sell and there are lots of things Ive gathered over the years that just need to go
so I can do more projects
My kayak PBs

Cheater

Return to “Boating”