Floor Covering

Bugatti

Re: Floor Covering

Post by Bugatti » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:03 am

ducky wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:06 am
What’s wrong with just the flow coat finish? That’s all that’s on mine.
Not sure about other boats and the flow coat on those boats. But mine, the flow coat (finish) can get quite slippery when wet, which it is wet most often.

And I'd have to concede that I probably don't always wear the most appropriate footwear, and really, how many of us always do, even guests, who may get caught out.

Given I have kids too (ruddy rascals) who have fished on the boat since they were young.

So for me, it was definitely a safety concern but equally, peace of mind. Especially when overexuberant focus is on netting a fish, or lunging for a buckled rod and focus taken away from a possible slippery floor.

Cheers, Bugatti, who thinks fish should be the only slippery buggas on my boat , , , , well, not including me, that is :-D

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:01 am

cobby wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:34 pm
https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/vynalite-matting

Completely removable
I have seen this stuff before or somethig similar to it. A lot of the new aluminium boats have it, Barcrusher for example.

And i remembered the photo Bugatti posted from a previous post. The non skip tape could be another option.

Given that there is no clear cut favourite i am thinking that if i do go ahead with removing the carpet then maybe the best option for now is to do nothing and give it a season to see how it goes as is. If it is dangerously slippery then i could use the non slip tape until i find something better.

The floor in this Haines Hunter from JV Marine is pretty much the look i am going for, but i have already removed the carpet from my deck hatches (which isnt shown in the photo i posted earlier) as i replaced the hatches with new timber when i bought the boat as they were a but soft and bendy.
ducky wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:06 am
What’s wrong with just the flow coat finish? That’s all that’s on mine.
Ducky, this is probably my preferred option. I am just curious as to how slippery it would be. I guess there is really only one way to find out.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:39 pm

That Haines is just bog standard flow coat with minimal fleck or none at all.

Speaking from experience coming from speckled flow coat, to permanent carpet, to removable vinyl tubing the tubing wins hands down. Softer and cooler than flow coat, as east to clean as base flow coat while being a tonne easier to clean than carpet and you don't get hooks or spikes stuck in it like carpet.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:20 pm

cobby wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:34 pm
https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/vynalite-matting

Completely removable
I think the downrigger shop sells this stuff, it might be cheaper to get it through him.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Google rubber matting for boats, you will have lots of ideas show up

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:01 pm

There’s a few shoes I don’t wear on the boat. But all things being equal I don’t struggle for grip on the flow coat.

One day I’ll go a proper sea dek or equivalent.

Return to “Boating”