PPB and Gippsland advice

willow17

PPB and Gippsland advice

Post by willow17 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Hey Guys,

Been lucky enough to have a good mate buy a boat and with that i feel like i also have a boat :rf: Looking forward to getting out and exploring new spots and targeting new fish. But thought i might need some help as i have been predominantly fishing freshwater in particular Eildon and this being his first boat and limited fishing experience we are wanting to try some fishing in the salt. We have taken it out to Eildon a couple times now to familiarise ourself with it and has all the safety gear so thats not an issue. The boat is 5.25m Side console alloy boat and has a 70HP on the back.

Just wanting some general advice on the safest conditions to go boating in the bay mainly what winds and speeds should i be avoiding? We can go either side of the bay without an issue and just after the bread and butter species.

Also he is wanting to do a trip up the coast and was thinking around Gippsland was just wondering whats around that area? and if the lakes and estuaries have good or any camping you can boat out to and pitch a tent on the shore like Eildon? I Know of locations like Metung, Mallacoota and lake Tyers areas and also further north around Eden but wondering if there are any good places you can launch the boat and make camp somewhere

Thanks in advance.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: PPB and Gippsland advice

Post by bowl » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Williamstown to Kirk's point generally west or nth west wind is offshore n flat.
If the wind is from east or south east I tend to fish Clifton spring side of bay.
South West wind I think St Leonards is ok...
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:46 pm

Tamboon and Tyers are definitely worth visiting.. I'm not sure if the fishing has improved but it's awesome to camp and relax at these spots!

I wouldn't bother with Metung or any of the lakes systems to be honest. Go further east for a better fishing experience (in my opinion)

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Post by CannonsJS » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:53 am

willow17 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:13 pm
Also he is wanting to do a trip up the coast and was thinking around Gippsland was just wondering whats around that area? and if the lakes and estuaries have good or any camping you can boat out to and pitch a tent on the shore like Eildon? I Know of locations like Metung, Mallacoota and lake Tyers areas and also further north around Eden but wondering if there are any good places you can launch the boat and make camp somewhere
In the Gippsland Lakes you have boat based camping in Bunga Arm. It's just what you are looking for.. It is only accessible by boat, you can pitch a tent virtually on the shore, although the campsites are allocated, and you can even walk across to 90 mile beach. You get surf fishing and lake fishing in virtually the one spot. The only thing is that you need to book it with Parks Vic. https://www.parkstay.vic.gov.au/gippsla ... -bunga-arm

willow17

Post by willow17 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:37 am

Thanks Bowl, that's what i had in mind but its good to have it confirmed! Any idea on max winds speeds you feel comfortable in before it gets to chopped up?

Thanks Kimtown and CannonsJs, i was thinking further east too but its nice to have those options and ill be sure to have a look at Bunga Arm sounds like what he is after.

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:59 pm

Good chance of a gummy on the beach if you camp at bunga arm. I grew up in the 60s camping at bunga arm. We had a permanent camp at what is now pelican camp. Was plenty of bream there in those days.
If you camp there you might be haunted as my mothers ashes are there. :)
It would be a good place to camp. Other spots would be lakes tyers at the trident or glass house track. Tamboon has an excellent bush camp. So does corringle slips on the snowy. Corringle is great. Just a quick boat ride to Marlo for supplies and great salmon and Taylor fishing. Bream are good up around the islands
You can get crabs on the rocks and pump worm around 2nd island.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:19 pm

willow17 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:13 pm
Hey Guys,

Been lucky enough to have a good mate buy a boat and with that i feel like i also have a boat :rf: Looking forward to getting out and exploring new spots and targeting new fish. But thought i might need some help as i have been predominantly fishing freshwater in particular Eildon and this being his first boat and limited fishing experience we are wanting to try some fishing in the salt. We have taken it out to Eildon a couple times now to familiarise ourself with it and has all the safety gear so thats not an issue. The boat is 5.25m Side console alloy boat and has a 70HP on the back.

Just wanting some general advice on the safest conditions to go boating in the bay mainly what winds and speeds should i be avoiding? We can go either side of the bay without an issue and just after the bread and butter species.

Thanks in advance.
Lakr tyers glasshouse area im sure camping is allowed

willow17

Post by willow17 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:18 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:59 pm
Good chance of a gummy on the beach if you camp at bunga arm. I grew up in the 60s camping at bunga arm. We had a permanent camp at what is now pelican camp. Was plenty of bream there in those days.
If you camp there you might be haunted as my mothers ashes are there. :)
It would be a good place to camp. Other spots would be lakes tyers at the trident or glass house track. Tamboon has an excellent bush camp. So does corringle slips on the snowy. Corringle is great. Just a quick boat ride to Marlo for supplies and great salmon and Taylor fishing. Bream are good up around the islands
You can get crabs on the rocks and pump worm around 2nd island.
Thanks for all the information really appreciate it.

Return to “Boating”