Boating newbie needs opinion on engine running

Ivans
Has liked: 13 times

Boating newbie needs opinion on engine running

Post by Ivans » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:40 pm

Hi guys need an opinion as i wouldnt have a clue how an outboard sound out of water during engine flush and the flow of water from pee hole

I have made this video, wonder if anyone can tell me if this sounds normal (being not familiar with 2strokes engine) and the water pump is pumping good flow of watee? I had a test run on patterson river for an hour. Felt ok but just making sure thanks guys

https://youtu.be/O14wrc5kcxE

Ivans

Re: Boating newbie needs opinion on engine running

Post by Ivans » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:42 pm

Oh another question please how long should i run the engine flush on? I had it for 15 min. Worry about neigbour complaining :D

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Good day Ivans. I am no expert and others might have a different opinion but the motor sounds fine and the flow through the impeller looks absolutely normal. I reckon 15 minutes is far too long for flushing with the hose. My mechanic cautions against lengthy flushing without the leg immersed. I simply disconnect the fuel line and run till it runs out of fuel. 2 to 3 minutes at the most. Mechanic says "good"
Cheers, Col.

Ivans

Post by Ivans » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:21 pm

Woopsies...yeah thought so. I was washing the boat as i was flushing so i wasnt thinking much. It was just in my head. I suppose i had it treated like car engine idling.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:25 pm

Like Colnick said the motor sounds fine and is pumping plenty of water. I only run mine for 5 minutes max when flushing the motor.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Ivans

Post by Ivans » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:51 pm

Thank you. It was quite scary with choppy water just 300-400 Mr out of river mouth. My 2 boys had sea sick so we headed back. What trim level is best for choppy water? Had the motor semi up as if I lowered it the engine does not push enough but then again I had it with low rpm so crawling our way back

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Just to backup up others. It sounds fine and the flow rate looks very good.

As for how long, at my last service i had to have the thermostat replaced and i was told i was not flushing for long enough. I used to let it run for about 3 to 5mins but the mechanic said i need to let it run for 10mins to allow the motor to heat up and get water flowing through the thermostat and into the rest of the engine cooling system. But as others have said 5 mins is probably ok (all my other outboards i have flushed for about that long). Just be sure to keep an eye on things, if the water stops the engine will overhead very quickly.

As for trim levels, it will vary from boat to boat and even how the boat is loaded.

In a bit of chop you will want the bow slightly up to try and get over the chop and stop it digging in. Your best bet is to take the boat out on a nice day and get a feel for the trim. Ideally you want the boat pretty much level.. the steering should be light and not pulling to one direction and you should see the spray spraying out pretty much beside you when you are on plane.

If you have the engine trimmed in too far you will find the wheel very hard to turn and possibly keep pulling from the torque of the prop. If trimmed out too far you will possibly start porpoising and you will hear the prop cavitating.

After a while you will just get a feel for how your boat handles at certain trim levels and certain conditions.

EDIT: As a side note, the best way to take off from a stationary position is to trim the engine all the way in then hit the throttle (for me i go to pretty much full throttle) and then i throttle back and trim out the engine for the required trim/speed/rpm. This give your the best hole shot without pushing the bow way up into the air.
Last edited by SteveoTheTiger on Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:30 pm

When the boat is being flushed with the hose it's tap water pressure not the true pressure the pump puts out, to judge how much water the pump is pushing you need to be in the water with the leg at normal height, outboard water pumps are not self priming so the water level should be above the cavitation plate about half way up the leg... Yes I'm in the industry.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:41 pm

To add to what Steveo said, when trimmed out to handle the chop, you are going to need a balance of throttle (power). Too light and the chop pushes you about and too hard, the chop bounces you around. So like Steveo said, just the right amount of power to get you over the chop. Some boats can handle more power as they "ride across" the chop, depending on how low or big the chop is and also the type of hull of the boat.

Porpoising is when you are trimmed too far out, the boat wants to go upwards but then runs out of water and drops back down, which is a cycle the boat goes through. Feels like you are on a galloping horse , , , , up down up down etc.

Cavitating is bad, very bad. That's when the propellor has air around it (even a lot of air bubbles can do it) highly likely from air getting under the hull from trimming the motor too out and the hull pointing more upwards. And as you go over waves/chop it traps air under the hull and then the air travels under the hull to the propeller.

Cheers, Bugatti

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:09 pm

hornet wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:30 pm
When the boat is being flushed with the hose it's tap water pressure not the true pressure the pump puts out, to judge how much water the pump is pushing you need to be in the water with the leg at normal height, outboard water pumps are not self priming so the water level should be above the cavitation plate about half way up the leg... Yes I'm in the industry.
Yep, very important. A hose just tells you the water galleries are clear. Letting the water pump (impeller) push the water through on it's own tells/shows you if the pump is actually working.

I always flush my motor in a Tub, even at the Boat Ramp, so I can always see how the water pump is working. Like Hornet says, the leg needs to be submerged to the Cav Plate, to "prime" (fill) the pump and the galleries, as it doesn't self prime. Note though, I keep running water flowing into the tub, as it recycles through the motor, and the water heats up unless you keep new water going into the tub

Flush Tub.JPG

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Boating”