Parking the boat at jetty is !!@&%#!!

spudtrans
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Parking the boat at jetty is !!@&%#!!

Post by spudtrans » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:13 am

Let em laugh, if they where the right sort of people they would see you need some help and offer some assistance. I have had my boat for a few years and i still stuff it up sometimes, but saying that my wife and i work as a team and get the job done in the end. Practice makes perfect but remember it does not always go to plan.
dont let what other people think ruin your day, at least you where out there giving it a go.

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Kestrel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Great advice provided by members!
Learning to ‘park’ the boat easily is just about practice
I remember when I was learning... the mire people watching the more anxious I became and the more I stuffed it up!
I just practiced when nobody else was around and there was no pressure and I got the hang of it.
Slow and steady is the way to go and the techniques deserved earlier are right on the mark!
Good luck!
Kestrel

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:20 pm

I have been mucking about in boats all my life. My first trip out on to the bay was when i was 6 weeks old. We always had boats in the family and i got my boat licence before i got my car licence. Got my own boat by the time i was 21 etc etc.

A couple of years ago i bought a tiller steer tinny, having never even been in one before. The first time i drove it i turned the throttle the wrong way and nearly reversed back onto the boat ramp! Much to the amusement of the guys on the jetty.

The lesson there is that even those of us who are highly experienced are still learning new things all the time, and we should not forget that at some point we were the ones that looked like an idiot at the ramp and maybe needed some help.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:14 am

The most stressful part of a day...launching and retrieving on a busy day.

The best advice i can give (aside from what others have given, great diagram Bug!) is to think slowly. The more stressed you are, the more chance of stuffing up you have.
In a couple of years you will look back at this and think, what was i worried about.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:12 am

I reckon it's a bit like playing that 80's arcade game 'Asteroids'....little bursts of acceleration only to adjust momentum

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:46 pm

The big issue when learning to drive a boat is that it is the stern (back) that turns, unlike a car that turns from the front and the back follows.
Sit on your boat without the motor running, face the back and turn the wheel. Visualise that the the back goes where the motor pushes it in fwd and pulls it in reverse.
In slow manoeuvres the front mostly goes where the wind and current takes. Once you get this you will get how to drive around the jetties and ramp.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Boating”