Parking the boat at jetty is !!@&%#!!

Ivans
Has liked: 13 times

Parking the boat at jetty is !!@&%#!!

Post by Ivans » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:21 pm

I lost count on how many times i go back and forth trying to park at jetty between two boats. I had plenty of room its just everytime i get close and wanted to get the stern closer i turned the wheel wrong way. Frustated, people were laughing at me. Any tips please
Thank you

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Parking the boat at jetty is !!@&%#!!

Post by smile0784 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Just practice mate

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:16 pm

First of all find the side of the jetty the wind is blowing to if you can and attempt that side. Gives more room for error if you muck it up Cos the wind will blow you in

Approach at like a 30 degree angle. Motor in gear but not too fast. Nose right in towards the jetty and a couple of metres out kick it into neutral. Quickly spin the wheel to full lock on the same direction as your approach. Then kick it into reverse and give it some revs to pull it up and drag the back of the boat into the jetty.

Easy peasy with some practice.

Do yourself a favour and go launch at quiet time of the day somewhere. Practice all your reversing of the trailer. Launch. Drive it on and off. Practice pulling up.

A couple of hours spent doing that will have you far more confident than the majority of people out there..
Last edited by ducky on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:28 pm

If jetty is on left side or port side of boat Come in to jetty at 45 degrees at less than walking pace turn gently away from jetty to starboard so you are in line with jetty (side by side) and put in reverse with prop / motor pointing starboard (like you are trying to turn left) and put in reverse to stop forward movement and suck ass of boat in to jetty
Better yet watch people with large boats and single engines in windy conditions you will pick it up pretty quick
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:34 pm

Go to the ramp when weather is crap and there are no boats there and practice

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:47 pm

fishnut wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:34 pm
Go to the ramp when weather is crap and there are no boats there and practice
This. Do what ducky says on the next rubbish day you can and just repeat repeat repeat. Doing it in high winds adds even more difficulty. Otherwise, nose right in, have someone jump off the bow and swing the stern by hand before tying up. That's not good if all others on board are quite young kids though.

Just practice, and more practice. This time next year you should be right

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Ivans wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:21 pm
I lost count on how many times i go back and forth trying to park at jetty between two boats. I had plenty of room its just everytime i get close and wanted to get the stern closer i turned the wheel wrong way. Frustated, people were laughing at me. Any tips please
Thank you
took me around 15 goes on my first time i tried to get my boat on the trailer, it was a very windy day and the boat just kept blowing off to the side as i was approaching the trailer.
you will just have to practice mate, unfortunately nothing else will help you here but practice.
find a day thats not busy, easier said than done now because its snapper season and soon summer will be here and it will get even more busier. but pick a quiet day and drive the boat in and out the trailer as much as you can, with time it will be a lot easier
one tip i can give you is to make sure the motor is trimmed up enough to avoid it hitting the ramp as the boat goes on the trailer.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:07 pm

I used to go when I first started on a crap day. I knew no one else will be launching and would get in plenty of practice :) just do it over and over and you will get the hang of it mate.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:13 pm

ducky wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:16 pm
First of all find the side of the jetty the wind is blowing to if you can and attempt that side. Gives more room for error if you muck it up Cos the wind will blow you in

Approach at like a 30 degree angle. Motor in gear but not too fast. Nose right in towards the jetty and a couple of metres out kick it into neutral. Quickly spin the wheel to full lock on the same direction as your approach. Then kick it into neutral and give it some revs to pull it up and drag the back of the boat into the jetty.

Easy peasy with some practice.

Exactly as ducky has said.

Also the less the angle to the Jetty the better, 30% is small enough. And putt putt in slow.

J1.JPG

When the bow is close to the jetty, the next three steps need to be done in quick succession.

Put the motor into neutral (if you can gauge it well, with experience, you can neutral in on the last metre or so, that way you aren't powering on all the way in and carrying too much momentum)

J2.JPG

Once the motor is in neutral, quickly turn the motor so that the back of the motor is towards the Jetty.

J3.JPG

Once the back of the motor is pointed towards the Jetty, put the motor into reverse. Give it a short sustained burst in reverse. This will stop the boat going forwards AND it will also bring the back of the boat towards the Jetty.

J4.JPG

And as ducky said , , , , easy peasy, the Boat is by the Jetty

J5.JPG

Cheers, Bugatti

Ivans
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Ivans » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:24 am

Wow thanks guys, especially to Buggati for the awesome pics. Will definitely practice. Was bit embarassing with people watching and laughing at me. But crappy day boat ramp practice is definitely good idea

Return to “Boating”