Anyone can tell me what these holes are for?

Ivans
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Ivans » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:48 pm

When i returned to boat ramp the other day i was wondering why the bilge was full of water. Those holes on left and right go straight into the bilge. It was quite a choppy day and some water may have got in from outside. Are those holes supposed to be there? Isnt that bit dangerous as water may flood the boat ?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/52812952@N08/8i3G35
https://www.flickr.com/gp/52812952@N08/30A2Q0

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Anyone can tell me what these holes are for?

Post by hornet » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:12 pm

You need to stick your head under the engine well and see whats connected to them on the other side, they are water connectors and have a ribbed hose fitting on the other end that a hose fits over..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:41 am

Self drain for the engine well?

Ivans

Post by Ivans » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:41 am

I went in just now and i didnt see any hose connected to those holes. They re just holes. Whats engine well?

Ivans

Post by Ivans » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:57 am

Wait , i just found a hose about 30 cm in length laying on its own on the corner, where does that hose suppose to connect to? I only found one on the right but not on the left???

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:01 am

With all due respect and not trying to come across as rude.
Did you actually do any prior research on buying a boat at all?
What made you go out and buy a fishing boat without knowing any of the basic stuff?
Granted every brand of boat is made differently, but you got to have some basic knowledge before going ot and buying a boat man.
I'm glad your the one not on the news recently, after seeing some.of your posts.
I would get someone to explain to you thoroughly how you boat works to you before you head out next time.

Travis
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Travis » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:39 am

It may have had a pump for live bait tanks. Could be drains or fill points.

Ivans

Post by Ivans » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:52 am

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:01 am
With all due respect and not trying to come across as rude.
Did you actually do any prior research on buying a boat at all?
What made you go out and buy a fishing boat without knowing any of the basic stuff?
Granted every brand of boat is made differently, but you got to have some basic knowledge before going ot and buying a boat man.
I'm glad your the one not on the news recently, after seeing some.of your posts.
I would get someone to explain to you thoroughly how you boat works to you before you head out next time.
Thanks for pointing out about research. I actually did condition report and paid for it. Condition report from club marine came good and didnt show any crack or leak and other scary stuff. And believe me i did some research and precautions.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:10 am

Ivans, we've all been through it with getting our first boat, you are at least asking questions which is a positive.

Firstly, the "Engine Well" is that recess that the motor (head of the motor, where the engine part is, with the Cover) , it's that recess where the engine tilts into when you tilt the motor up. That part where those "holes" are.

The "self-draining" part of the Engine Well is that through hull fitting (yellow arrow) that hole where the water just runs out into the sea, on it's own. The Engine Well does get water in it as it is the lowest part of the transom (back of the boat), that's why there is an engine Well, to collect/contain the water, like a "Well" and not get in the boat.

Hole 1.JPG

Now to the "holes" you mentioned. Hornet is right, they are "through hull water fittings", generally used connected to a Bilge Pump to get rid of water in the boat via the bilge pump. Yours have broken off.

Hole 7.JPG

BUT not sure why or what they are there for, without seeing where the other end would have been connected to.

Hole 2.JPG
Hole 4.JPG

It is very unusual to have water from a bilge pumped there as bilge pumps aren't generally sealed pumps. So that means water can get into your boat from a fitting in the engine well as the engine well does get water in it from the sea. Normally bilge outlets are high above the water line. I have mine at the top of my transom, some have them at the back end of the hull, but again, high as you can, above the water line.

Hole 5.JPG

If there is a Bilge pump, the Engine Well isn't the best outlet for it, and you may want to reconnect an outlet above the water line, where you are comfortable putting it. And those "holes" definitely need to be plugged as it is highly likely that is where the water is getting into your boat, and yes, it is dangerous. I have plugged a large hole in my Engine Well that was there when I bought it years ago, with an Aluminium Plate with rubber tape sealing it to the Fibreglass. But there are many ways to close off those holes if that is what is needed. They DO NEED to be closed off (or reconnected to a sealed system if that is what there were originally) but I wouldn't if it is to a standard bilge pump.

Hole 6.JPG

With the condition of the hose and fittings and that what ever it was there for, hasn't been fixed for a long time, I'd be mindful of the general condition of the boat.

Hole 3.JPG
Hole 3.JPG (22.62 KiB) Viewed 1943 times

You are probably best, going over the entire boat and ensuring that everything is in good condition and working the way it should be. Especially as by the sounds of it, you take your family out in it.

Remember, there is no Roadside Assist out there.

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Boating”