Anyone can tell me what these holes are for?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Anyone can tell me what these holes are for?

Post by Mattblack » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:38 am

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:01 am
With all due respect and not trying to come across as rude.
Did you actually do any prior research on buying a boat at all?
What made you go out and buy a fishing boat without knowing any of the basic stuff?
Granted every brand of boat is made differently, but you got to have some basic knowledge before going ot and buying a boat man.
I'm glad your the one not on the news recently, after seeing some.of your posts.
I would get someone to explain to you thoroughly how you boat works to you before you head out next time.
Apart from what you have to learn when getting a boat license (which you promptly forget within minutes) & from reading a manual once you've purchased something (if it actually comes with one) what sort of research is available if you don't know what questions to ask?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:03 am

Mattblack wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:38 am
purple5ive wrote:
What made you go out and buy a fishing boat without knowing any of the basic stuff?
Granted every brand of boat is made differently, but you got to have some basic knowledge before going ot and buying a boat man.
I'm glad your the one not on the news recently, after seeing some.of your posts.
I would get someone to explain to you thoroughly how you boat works to you before you head out next time.
Apart from what you have to learn when getting a boat license (which you promptly forget within minutes) & from reading a manual once you've purchased something (if it actually comes with one) what sort of research is available if you don't know what questions to ask?
I would consider Knowing how to operate almost everything on your boat properly.

That includes controls, trim and tilt, lights, battery isolators and the likes...

Know how to use safety equipment. And that includes bildge pumps, bailers, flares, life jackets and marine radios.

Always go with someone else who has had experience on the water a few times and get them to show you the ropes.

Or
Hire a boat and go out first with someone experienced

or

go with someone else in their boat to get a feel and some experience on the water.

Learn to read a paper map or have 100% confidence in reading your GPS unit. Cause that's the only thing that will get you home if your lost.

I would consider all the above to be research. Once you have done enough of that you also gain enough experience to venture out safely.

I did all the above and beyond before going out on my own. And I still struggled on my first day retrieving my boat..

It is getting close to silly season for the water based activities and I expect to see similar experienced people out on the bay hence why its important to take it seriously..

Doing a safety check by a third party, getting the all clear and heading out on the water straight after doesn't not constitute proper research to me...
This may not be the case for the OP. But I highly doubt it..

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:08 am

I forgot to add.
Learn how to read weather conditions and forecasts too..
Sunny weather doesnt mean take the boat out..

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:41 am

Mattblack wrote:

Look at you, going all Glossy again, brings a tear to my eye and a warm feeling in my heart :)

I agree Glossy. Once you've owned a boat, you know what to look for in the next one. Some of us have been lucky and been brought up with boating, or mate's who have boats to lend a bit of advice and learning with our first boat. But when it's your first boat and have no direct contact with another boatie, it is daunting.

That's the great thing about Fishing Forums, here we are :)

"What questions to ask" , , , , seems to me Ivan is asking those very questions, so kudos to him.

We all get excited with a new toy and probably take it out for a play a bit over eagerly early. And sometimes, you don't know what's faulty until it fails.

Cheers, Bugs (working through his own 99 problems :-D )

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:59 am

Bugatti wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:41 am
Mattblack wrote:

Look at you, going all Glossy again, brings a tear to my eye and a warm feeling in my heart :)

I agree Glossy. Once you've owned a boat, you know what to look for in the next one. Some of us have been lucky and been brought up with boating, or mate's who have boats to lend a bit of advice and learning with our first boat. But when it's your first boat and have no direct contact with another boatie, it is daunting.

That's the great thing about Fishing Forums, here we are :)

"What questions to ask" , , , , seems to me Ivan is asking those very questions, so kudos to him.

We all get excited with a new toy and probably take it out for a play a bit over eagerly early. And sometimes, you don't know what's faulty until it fails.

Cheers, Bugs (working through his own 99 problems :-D )
Apart from what Purple said, there's a lot of trial and error when you 1st get a boat...unlike most activities when you're out in a boat you're pretty stuffed when you get it wrong.
I reckon everyone would be better off if you had to do a practical driving test to get your marine licence...it's way to easy as it is.
It's coming up to jetski season now & those things are lethal in beginners hands.

Ivans
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Ivans » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi Bugatti thanks for your thorough examination of the situation
I can see here the bilge pump has another connection and it is connected by a ribbed hose to a hole in the upper/higher position.
That yellow arrow you re pointing is sealed with white sealant and transducer cord is run through it

If the previous owner replaced the position Of the bilge pump outlet to the higher position and still leave the bottom 2 holes open like that, i must say that is bit wierd (read: stupid) as water pumped out from the higher hole will go to the engine well again and in turn it will go back inside

I bought the boat from a reputable dealer in geelong, i have addressed this issue to them and they will look into it. They told me although they have done best they can to examine the boat condition but something hidden like this is easily overlooked. The boat has off the floor fuel tank that sits below stern wall (is gunwell the right term for it?) and the bilge is hidden underneath the stainless steel fuel tank. I bet they didnt pull the tank to examine whats underneath. As a customer i think they should have especially this is indeed dangerous as it is almost the same as driving the boat without bungs on

The dealer is in geelong and i live in eastern suburbs of melbourne
It is a very cost and time consuming to go back there but i guess if i have to, but just for an amusement, you mentioned there are many ways to plug the holes, what re the easiest way for a regular bloke like me who dont know much about fixing stuff like this? Thanks in advance

Ivans

Post by Ivans » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:07 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:03 am
Mattblack wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
I would consider Knowing how to operate almost everything on your boat properly.

That includes controls, trim and tilt, lights, battery isolators and the likes...

Know how to use safety equipment. And that includes bildge pumps, bailers, flares, life jackets and marine radios.

Always go with someone else who has had experience on the water a few times and get them to show you the ropes.

Or
Hire a boat and go out first with someone experienced

or

go with someone else in their boat to get a feel and some experience on the water.

Learn to read a paper map or have 100% confidence in reading your GPS unit. Cause that's the only thing that will get you home if your lost.

I would consider all the above to be research. Once you have done enough of that you also gain enough experience to venture out safely.

I did all the above and beyond before going out on my own. And I still struggled on my first day retrieving my boat..

It is getting close to silly season for the water based activities and I expect to see similar experienced people out on the bay hence why its important to take it seriously..

Doing a safety check by a third party, getting the all clear and heading out on the water straight after doesn't not constitute proper research to me...
This may not be the case for the OP. But I highly doubt it..

Did all that as i had a boat before back in 2006 when my son was very young so i had a bit of knowledge. However i bought pretty much a recent model boat at that time (2002 haines hunter 470 breeze) so the boat was pretty much in perfect condition so i didnt do much otherthan getting a guy from Boronia marine to teach me how to launch and retrieve. I know some basic stuff, i am familiar with chartplotter but still struggling to read the bottom. Sold the boat in 1 year without spending much time with it as son was still too young.

I bought this 87 belmont cus boys are big now and i always like the boat and its got an anchor winch 😊 plus condition report is good. (Not to mention good price too)

I ve been to mates boat few times, been to fishing charters few times, got bogged at hasting once with a friend, so i had my days but i still consider myself a newb honestly. This is why forum is a great way of learning source. Thanks for your time and others writing about this to help

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:22 pm

Looks like you need to go fishing a lot more then.
I hope you can work out what the holes are meant for.

Ivans

Post by Ivans » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:53 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:22 pm
Looks like you need to go fishing a lot more then.
I hope you can work out what the holes are meant for.
Cant do that till i am good with the boat :)
Fishing is next thing to learn

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:24 pm

Ivans wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:59 pm
what re the easiest way for a regular bloke like me who dont know much about fixing stuff like this? Thanks in advance
The quick and dirty put in a hose and join both outlets on each side of well with a hose and some hose clamps, can be permanent if your lazy..

Also if your lazy put a short hose on each separate outlet and clamp some round plastic or wood dowel in the short hose..

BEST Option is to remove the plugs and fiberglass the holes permanently.

It's minor stuff don't sweat it... not like rebuilding the transom or floor like some poor schmucks end up doing when buying second hand !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Return to “Boating”