Picking the right boat

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Re: Picking the right boat

Post by fishnut » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:35 pm

Just go bigger mate
If theres 2 people on one side even a 5 m ally boat will tilt a bit and also some of the lighter glass boats
Never been in a polycraft so cant comment
Very big choice out there let us know how u go

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Cuddys below 5m are crap imo. Not enough fishing space and not enough sleeping space.

Bite the bullet. Buy some waterproof clothes and get a haines 445f or variant. All the cool kids are doing it.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:13 am

wodez29 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:44 pm
A quintrex Cuddy does sound ideal.
I did look at those boat collars 1 or 2 seasons ago. Interesting and looks like they work well. Not sure if they will be as good in rough weather compared to a total upgrade.
If I was happier with my current boat I would go down that path. But I do want some extra size, storage, hp and less worry about the weather. It seems I can only go out in a less than 12kn offshore wind. Anything more than 14kn or anything onshore is can get uncomfortable and is risking having to pack up early. So I’m hoping a bigger boat will give me more opportunities, weather wise. I guess that’s another question I should be asking. But I guess it comes down to what each person is comfortable with.
can you squeeze another $10K into the budget?....https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/deta ... 0455/?Cr=0

wodez29

Post by wodez29 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:44 am

I’ll just keep an eye out and see what’s for sale. Mattblack that stabicraft would be great on the water I’m sure. But I just can’t do the extra $$. My budget has grown to 30k over the last few days..... but I’m possibly dreaming.
I also have a height issue with my garage door of 2100mm high. So I am struggling with most cuddies let alone a half cab or bigger ... but a few hours work might get that to a 2250 opening if needed

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:13 am

Runabout at 2100. Only surtess with window moves down will fit.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:18 am

Mattblack wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:13 am
wodez29 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:44 pm
A quintrex Cuddy does sound ideal.
I did look at those boat collars 1 or 2 seasons ago. Interesting and looks like they work well. Not sure if they will be as good in rough weather compared to a total upgrade.
If I was happier with my current boat I would go down that path. But I do want some extra size, storage, hp and less worry about the weather. It seems I can only go out in a less than 12kn offshore wind. Anything more than 14kn or anything onshore is can get uncomfortable and is risking having to pack up early. So I’m hoping a bigger boat will give me more opportunities, weather wise. I guess that’s another question I should be asking. But I guess it comes down to what each person is comfortable with.
can you squeeze another $10K into the budget?....https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/deta ... 0455/?Cr=0
That's a lot of money for 6yr old 5 Meter boat imo
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:58 pm

wodez29 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:44 am
I’ll just keep an eye out and see what’s for sale. Mattblack that stabicraft would be great on the water I’m sure. But I just can’t do the extra $$. My budget has grown to 30k over the last few days..... but I’m possibly dreaming.
I also have a height issue with my garage door of 2100mm high. So I am struggling with most cuddies let alone a half cab or bigger ... but a few hours work might get that to a 2250 opening if needed
2250mm will just fit a Stabicraft 1650 or 1850 cuddy...2100mm wont if that helps :tu:

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:23 pm

Lateral stability at rest is a combination of length vs width + deadrise + weight. The narrower the hull at waterline with a moderately deep v is far more tippy than a similar width hull with next to no deadrise. And a wide hull with a deep v can be more stable than a narrow hull with minimal v. A heavier fibreglass hull will be more stable than a lighter aluminium hull when all dimensions are equal.

You'll have to use boats you've experienced that you liked the stability of as a baseline with specifications and go from there. An older cruisecraft explorer 500 will likely be the most stable of the glass boats, a stabicraft for the tinnies

wodez29

Post by wodez29 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:40 pm

Cheers for the advice
All fiberglass boats I have been in have been stable enough.
Just never been in any 4.8-5m aluminum boats.
I think either will be an upgrade from my current.

Return to “Boating”