Leronzia wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:05 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:49 pm
Leronzia wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:22 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:59 pm
They look like nice rigs, you could definitely do offshore work with those but will probably have to carry extra fuel.

Almost any boat has offshore capabilities when in the right hands.

What fishing do you see yourself doing when you get a boat?
mainly Bay and light offshore if i wanted to. want to have the option.
So mainly bait fishing with maybe a bit of drifting? Every now and again going offshore for kings and tuna?

Get yourself cuddy cabin or something that's enclosed. You'll be much more comfortable. A centre or side console boat, in my opinion, are more for the person who is more into "sports fishing"
basically sums it up perfectly. so should get a cuddy? ok thank you :)

what size cuddy would i need min to fish 3?
For bay and offshore work get something 5m+
yeh thats where it stretches teh 20-30k budget ;(

but if centre console 4.8 has plenty room.
maybe install a tea top

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Done Some research...

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:35 pm

Leronzia wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:06 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:32 pm
Leronzia wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
They look like nice rigs, you could definitely do offshore work with those but will probably have to carry extra fuel.

have you actually been offshore before?
couple time on a private charter.

when i say offshore i dont mean 50km. i mean light offshore.
ok, reason i asked was offshore isnt for everyone, but everyone wants to go offshore, some only go once and its game over for them.
reality is organising an offshore trip with mates, getting the time off, weather right and actually pulling it off is harder than it looks. unless you scott henning ofcourse..
light offshore will easily get thrown out the door once you get a taste and like what it offers.
since its your first boat, id stick inshore and get some experience first, do a few snapper seasons etc etc then sell and buy a boat thats capable of doing both if thats evetually what you end up liking to do..

offshore fishing is totally different to inshore, rigs, lures, gear everything is different
different story if you already have all the gear. otherwise factor all that in towards the final cost outlay.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:39 pm

a T-top wont stop wind and spray.

Look it's completely up to you. Asking someone what boat you should get is the wrong question i think because everyone is going to tell you the boat they want to get which isn't always the boat you need.

I bought my first boat with my brother and cousin for 5k, It was a kicked in Savage Tasman 4.5m. I had no idea about salt water fishing. I learnt so much in this boat. I learnt to launch/retrieve, I hit stuff, I got towed in by the coast guard, caught heaps of fish and had the time of my life doing it.
After 5 years we sold it and i upgraded. I knew what i wanted out of my next boat and i knew how to take care of it.

So i guess I'm saying spend less because it's probably not going to be your first and only boat and there is no way of knowing what your perfect boat is when you've never actually owned a boat.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:51 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:39 pm

Look it's completely up to you. Asking someone what boat you should get is the wrong question i think because everyone is going to tell you the boat they want to get which isn't always the boat you need.

I bought my first boat with my brother and cousin for 5k, It was a kicked in Savage Tasman 4.5m. I had no idea about salt water fishing. I learnt so much in this boat. I learnt to launch/retrieve, I hit stuff, I got towed in by the coast guard, caught heaps of fish and had the time of my life doing it.
After 5 years we sold it and i upgraded. I knew what i wanted out of my next boat and i knew how to take care of it.

So i guess I'm saying spend less because it's probably not going to be your first and only boat and there is no way of knowing what your perfect boat is when you've never actually owned a boat.
Yup what he said.
I gone Thur 3 boats in ten years.
410 open tin can, carribean cobra and Savage 455.
Be going onto 4th sometime this year.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Leronzia
Has liked: 23 times

Post by Leronzia » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:06 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:35 pm
Leronzia wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:06 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:32 pm
Leronzia wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

have you actually been offshore before?
couple time on a private charter.

when i say offshore i dont mean 50km. i mean light offshore.
ok, reason i asked was offshore isnt for everyone, but everyone wants to go offshore, some only go once and its game over for them.
reality is organising an offshore trip with mates, getting the time off, weather right and actually pulling it off is harder than it looks. unless you scott henning ofcourse..
light offshore will easily get thrown out the door once you get a taste and like what it offers.
since its your first boat, id stick inshore and get some experience first, do a few snapper seasons etc etc then sell and buy a boat thats capable of doing both if thats evetually what you end up liking to do..

offshore fishing is totally different to inshore, rigs, lures, gear everything is different
different story if you already have all the gear. otherwise factor all that in towards the final cost outlay.
i really like this reply. actually opened my eye. despite ive been fishing ages i havent been heavy/offshore fishing much. so probably first boat for inshore once i get experience and really want to offshore ill upgrade.

for the following species i wouldnt have to go offshore i reckon.

snapper
gummies
whiting
flatheads
trevally

Leronzia

Post by Leronzia » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:07 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:

also really good reply.
probably learn the hard way get a 4.5-5m centre console. then when had enough sell and upgrae to cabin. Who knows might find one boat at a dealer and just be like thats the one :)

Leronzia

Post by Leronzia » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:10 pm

When i go to the boat show hopefully, all the boats under the same roof will be helpful. will speak to each major company im looking at, and see whati like best!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:23 pm

Leronzia wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:07 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:

also really good reply.
probably learn the hard way get a 4.5-5m centre console. then when had enough sell and upgrae to cabin. Who knows might find one boat at a dealer and just be like thats the one :)
I'll agree with anth and brenton here.
Just like them.i also bought my first boat not knowing anything about boating.
I learned heaps from.it, modified it to suit my taste, rebuilt a whole trailer, installed electrics and everything else in between . Massive learning curve..
When it came to upgrade time, which if you love fishing from a boat is only a matter of time. I already knew what I wanted and the only limit was $$$, tow vehicle and storage.

So my advice is mirroring theirs. Buy something to learn in thats in your budget within the 4.8 to 5m range and then upgrade from there later on.
If your like me and want the technology at your fingertips then budget for Sounders, trolling motors and things like that too.
Absolutely no need to go offshore for any of those fish mentioned.
A centre console will be an absolute nightmare offshore if the weather turns, unless you live and breathe fishing I wouldn't advise a centre console for offshore use..

And dont forget the lure aspect of fishing the bay in a boat, it's a fantastic way to fish for squid, salmon, pinkies etc...

Also a great way to introduce yourself to offshore fishing is to go on a few trips with mates on their boats or take the opportunity when people offer spots, its definitely a lot different to fishing in tge bay. You will see that as soon as you start fishing cause it's very different, tides, currents, swell etc etc .

Leronzia

Post by Leronzia » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:55 pm

Yep Sounds good!

Return to “Boating”