Evinrude E-TEC G2 140hp Questions

Sinsemilla

Evinrude E-TEC G2 140hp Questions

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:10 pm

I have a mate who is in the market for a boat. He has been looking at stabis and Evinrude G2s

I don't know enough about them to give him any advice.

Are they still smokey like 2 strokes usually are?

Are they loud like 2 strokes usually are?

Do they vibrate a lot like 2 strokes usually do?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers, Anth

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Evinrude E-TEC G2 140hp Questions

Post by Redhunter » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:28 pm

I don’t know about that donk specifically, but generally speaking, I really don’t understand why anybody would bother purchasing a 2-stroke in this day and age. The pro’s of a 4-stroke far outweigh anything a 2-stroke could bring to the table. Am I missing something?

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:11 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:10 pm
I have a mate who is in the market for a boat. He has been looking at stabis and Evinrude G2s

Are they still smokey like 2 strokes usually are? Very minor amount of smoke, usually after idling or low rpm trolling for long periods. They do have a typical 2 stroke smell almost all the time though, just no where near as bad as the old carbied 2s (and who doesn't love that smell?)

Quieter than a carby 2, but still louder than a 4 down low in the rev range. a different sound but similar db levels when opened up

No worse than a 2 cylinder 4 stroke
Any help is appreciated.

Cheers, Anth
That's going off experience with G1s. There's a lot to like about etecs, they along with the larger displacement Mercurys would be the 2 with the highest low/mid torque. And a lot of things that probably shouldn't have screwed up on G1s too. Much like their predecessor from the OMC days, FICHT RAM. They don't hold resale like a 4 stroke either which is a negative if you're likely to upgrade in 5-10years

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:14 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:28 pm
I don’t know about that donk specifically, but generally speaking, I really don’t understand why anybody would bother purchasing a 2-stroke in this day and age. The pro’s of a 4-stroke far outweigh anything a 2-stroke could bring to the table. Am I missing something?
They were exactly my words to him but..

Apparently the G2s have cleaner emissions by a long shot even against the new 4 strokes, More torque, lighter engine, better fuel economy.. apparently.. and also being a 2 stroke the only servicing you need to do is the gearbox fluid every 300 hours.

I want to hear from someone that has one and get some real life opinions. You can't trust those boat/motor test videos on youtube

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:17 pm

cobby wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:11 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:

Are they still smokey like 2 strokes usually are? Very minor amount of smoke, usually after idling or low rpm trolling for long periods. They do have a typical 2 stroke smell almost all the time though, just no where near as bad as the old carbied 2s (and who doesn't love that smell?)

Quieter than a carby 2, but still louder than a 4 down low in the rev range. a different sound but similar db levels when opened up

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers, Anth
That's going off experience with G1s. There's a lot to like about etecs, they along with the larger displacement Mercurys would be the 2 with the highest low/mid torque. And a lot of things that probably shouldn't have screwed up on G1s too. Much like their predecessor from the OMC days, FICHT RAM. They don't hold resale like a 4 stroke either which is a negative if you're likely to upgrade in 5-10years
Thanks for that cobby. I didn't think about 2 strokes not holding resale value. That's something to really consider.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:17 pm
cobby wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers, Anth
Thanks for that cobby. I didn't think about 2 strokes not holding resale value. That's something to really consider.
Most of that comes down to previous etec issues littering the internet. Then There is also some people who hear 2 stroke and think theyre still like the old 200hp Black Max Mercury that's just been started for the first time in 6 months sucking down a litre of fuel a second just getting off the trailer, when the direct injection 2s like the etec, optimax and Tohatsus TLDI are the complete opposite.

If he's likely to put 700+ hours on it in under 10 years and is confident Bombadier have addressed the issues they had with G1s then if the package price is right I don't see an issue. Standing start it'll leave a Suzuki 140hp or Yamaha 130hp well behind

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:12 am

I'm no expert on outboards but are't E-TEC's meant to be really good on fuel for a 2 stroke motor?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:44 am

Sinsemilla wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:17 pm
cobby wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers, Anth
With the battery tech progressing the way it is, it'll be interesting to see if Internal Combustion Engines will be worth anything in 10 years.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:58 am

i dont know anything specifically about the Evinrudes in particular. but i did quite a bit of looking into the TLDI tohatsu before i bought my motor.

Dont confuse a 2 stroke with a direct injected 2 stroke!!
as cobby has mentioned already direct injected 2 strokes are cleaner burning, fuel efficient, less noisier (still sounds good though) and less smokey and very minimal emmissions.
they have the benefits of both 2 and 4 stroke kinda combined into one.
starts first time as its electronically injected and has an ecu, most makes have nmea2k options, good fuel consumption (but not as good as the 4 strokes yet) has the pickup of the 2 strokes, so off the bat its still great, not as heavy as the 4 stroke in similar size, so a bit of weight saving there, not as expensive to buy as a 4 stroke, and also servicing costs are similar to a 2 stroke (for the TLDI anyway when i enquired) etc etc..
this is the same for all 3 brands Etec from evinrude, optimax from mercury and TLDI from tohatsu.
they do however require specific oil in the premix chamber which is quite $$$

im not sure if the direct injection 2 strokes come under the proposed 2 stroke ban though, so thats worth looking into.

Ducky will have some first hand (not so good) etec specific info for you, when he chimes in..

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:26 am

With the battery tech progressing the way it is, it'll be interesting to see if Internal Combustion Engines will be worth anything in 10 years.
Your closer to the mark than you think..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg1aH55cxow
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Return to “Boating”