quintrex hornet 500 trophy

Mustang38
Has liked: 1 time

quintrex hornet 500 trophy

Post by Mustang38 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:53 pm

Hi Guys, does anyone know, have or have experience with a quintrex hornet 500 trophy. I am contemplating getting into some estuary/ river fishing chasing bream flatties etc. Would also like to use on PPB when conditions are good. Can I get some comment from people please if they have one or been out on one.
Cheers
Adrian

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: quintrex hornet 500 trophy

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:04 pm

The Hornets are more an estuary hull due to the shape of the front end, you may find it a bit uncomfortable in the chop on ppb.
Look at something with a bit more deep vee style as an allrounder I recon.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:09 pm

I would go with a Busta or Dory at 4.2m or bigger (or similar V hull) and then you can have the best of both worlds. Plenty big enough to fish 2 or 3 out of and perfectly fine to use in PPB when you want to.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:11 pm

My boat experience is a bit limited but the from quintrex the renegade is a better allrounder. Ive done a bit of fishing off a 460 and it has been great in a range of situations
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Mustang38
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Mustang38 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:57 pm

Thanks guys, great info. I was told that regarding the bay so good it is backed up with more comments the same.
Cheers

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:36 pm

I've seen a few hornets on bay .
Really depends on how much fresh vs salt use boat is getting.
Polycraft make 4.8 centre console.
Stessco renegade.
495 Surtees centre console ect
Little stabi crafts have great name to .
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:04 am

If it were me spending the schmeckles I’d be looking at plate or glass instead of the press tin or whatever those hornets are made from.

Now take this with a grain of salt Cos it’s a different boat entirely but have a look at the new sea change boating 16 footer. I haven’t looked too closely at it but I believe it’s a haines family venture or something and they are doing some lightweight vacuum infused 16 foot hull. Low sides. But not lower than something that’s 50% cast deck

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Post by ben475 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:17 am

yes a renegade type may be a little better on westernport, but i'm not sure it would be a huge difference. for the most part its fairly size relevant considering they are similar construction.
i was pulled up by fisheries last year, they were in a 500 hornet and i remember thinking it was a bloody big tinny, hadn't seen that size before, it had a 115 yammy on the back.
if river and estuary is going to be a big part of your usage don't rule it out, a lot of good boats out there all with their own pros and cons.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:15 am

ducky wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:04 am
If it were me spending the schmeckles I’d be looking at plate or glass instead of the press tin or whatever those hornets are made from.

Now take this with a grain of salt Cos it’s a different boat entirely but have a look at the new sea change boating 16 footer. I haven’t looked too closely at it but I believe it’s a haines family venture or something and they are doing some lightweight vacuum infused 16 foot hull. Low sides. But not lower than something that’s 50% cast deck
The SCBX16 is almost identical (transom modification) to the Signature 485SF which in itself is the old Seaquell 460R hull with an extra few cm slapped on. $12k for the bare hull with minor factory add one and the ability to buy add ons like thwart seating, casting decks etc at $1-2k each part that you can fit yourself.

The bare hull, second hand motor and trailer, couple of seats and you're on the water for under $20k. Be 100 times better than a Hornet in rougher stuff

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:28 am

If your fishing estuaries mainly then I strongly suggest having these items as minimal.

Casting deck
Trolling motor
Good sounder
Livewell (not as important)

These will.make things a lot easier when fishing lures. So make sure to budget this into your build.

Return to “Boating”