Bearing buddies

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Bearing buddies

Post by Nude up » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:14 pm

A few years ago I bought a new trailer for my boat it came with genuine bearing buddies installed american ones p/n 1980 which equates to 1.980" or 50mm. In the last few years I have lost 2 whilst driving or stolen and I never noticed.
Having just done the wheel bearings prior to going to bermie in late Feb I found 2 loose. My size is not normally stocked so I carry spares the ones I used are trojan brand 1980 p/n. They are definitely slightly larger than the American ones. I was wondering anyone else has had a similar experience. Maybe the previous removals bent the flanges but I never had this problem with my previous trailer.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Re: Bearing buddies

Post by KeenAds » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:02 pm

Hey Nude up,
I have had a similar problem in the past and started using loctite when installing them and had no more issues.
Just use a medium strength one so they can be removed during service.
Most hubs are not machined perfectly round so that's what I think your problem is. It will also help seal up any machining tolerances that may let water in.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:33 pm

Thats a good idea cheers

beefy

Post by beefy » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:52 pm

KeenAds wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:02 pm
Hey Nude up,
I have had a similar problem in the past and started using loctite when installing them and had no more issues.
Just use a medium strength one so they can be removed during service.
Most hubs are not machined perfectly round so that's what I think your problem is. It will also help seal up any machining tolerances that may let water in.
Regarding the "letting water in". The principle of the bearing buddies and similar ones is that they always maintain a positive pressure. The spring that is visible on the outside pushes on the piston. This piston should be checked just before launching to make sure it is pushed slightly outwards. This is checked by pressing either side of the piston to make sure it "wobbles" and is not flat against it's stop. If it doesn't wobble then pump a little grease in until you see the piston move out and compress the spring a little. The bearing cavity is then under positive pressure and water will not get into the housing when the hub is submerged. If there is any tiny air gap where the Bearing Buddies fit into the hub, but the grease is not coming out when the piston is out and compressing the spring then water will not get in. If the air gap is large enough that the thick grease can flow out, that is very different, and Loctite will definitely be helpful to seal that up.

I've just changed the bearings and seals in my hubs and have completely packed the bearing cavity with grease as per the Bearing Buddy instructions (no air at all). I was a little uncomfortable with this because bearings are normally never packed completely with grease. However, after a half hour drive on a warm day the bearing housings barely got warm so it doesn't seem to cause any heating issues.

Return to “Boating”