Patterson river mouth

bugeater
Has liked: 1 time

Patterson river mouth

Post by bugeater » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:02 pm

So launched my boat for the first time today at Patterson River. It was reasonably quiet so seemed like a good opportunity to practise a launch and retrieve. I also wanted to punt around in the bay for the engine break in. However, as soon as I hit the river mouth the waves were pretty extreme. I thought if I pushed through they might be a bit tamer, but didn't seem like it, so I turned back. Still the launch and retrieve seemed to go pretty well, though I had my son to help with holding the lines, which certainly helped.

Anyway, my question is - do the waves tend to be larger at a river mouth like Patternson river? Could I have pushed through and found it a bit more manageable?

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Re: Patterson river mouth

Post by ben475 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:15 pm

i doubt it would have gotten much better.
what was the wind like? it chops up pretty quickly out there.

bugeater

Post by bugeater » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:33 pm

It had a reasonable onshore breeze (maybe 15 knots). I've looked at webcams around the bay though and most other places didn't seem as bad as what I was going though, though most looked the worst around the time I was heading out. The tide was going out, so perhaps the river draining out against the incoming waves, plus shallower water at the river mouth, made it worse as well.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:41 pm

When was this?
Coz it's been very windy.

I don't have a boat nor launched off Peterson river, but I do have a kayak. And I always pick offshore wind for the water to be calm and safe on kayak.
So maybe try again during east wind?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Sneaky1 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:38 pm

Ah, Patto's mouth - took my rods and reels in 2010, first kayak tip over!
I leash everything since then.

bugeater

Post by bugeater » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:51 pm

I'm normally a kayaker, but decided to get a stink boat to cover more ground. Only chose Patterson River as there are heaps of ramps, it's relatively close to home, and it seemed pretty quiet (for obvious reasons). As my maiden voyage it wasn't a bad - worked out launching and retrieving and it went pretty well.

I normally launch the kayak around Westernport, but never this sort of river mouth situation, nor in PPB. Not seen anything like it when kayaking, except maybe once when I headed north from Coronet Bay towards Corinella and the sea just got super choppy in the narrows between Frenchs Island and the mainland. I was just wondering if the conditions were contributed to by the river mouth, rather than just the wind.
Sebb wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:41 pm
When was this?
This morning around 11:30 to midday. About 15kt winds mostly onshore from what BOM is reporting.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:03 pm

bugeater wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:51 pm
Sebb wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:41 pm
When was this?
This morning around 11:30 to midday. About 15kt winds mostly onshore from what BOM is reporting.
Onshore 15 knot is pretty rough.
Maybe try again with offshore wind. See if it's easier.
Attachments
IMG_20230226_180211.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Post by ben475 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:53 pm

15knots is about 30k, there's no way i would head out on PPB in that.

PhilN

Post by PhilN » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:01 pm

Hi bugeater,

Big plus for practising launching the boat when it is not busy - thank you! :-) I wish more would do this.
As bad luck would have it, you seem to have picked one of the worse possible times to exit Patto......
As mentioned above, the winds were onshore (Westerly) and not insignificant. In addition, you have tried it during a big ebb tide, so there was maximum current flow out of the river in the opposite direction of the wind. This makes everything much worse.
Patto river entrance is usually pretty calm (but can get lumpy) - you just picked the wrong day and time. Next time, try a day when the wind is northerly/easterly, the wind is lower and at or just after high tide for a nice safe first attempt.

bugeater

Post by bugeater » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:32 pm

Thanks guys. Never done PPB before. Guess there is a lot more "fetch" than Westernport and less places to hide.

I've been out on the kayak in 50km/h southerly winds off Coronet Bay before. It came on pretty suddenly when I was about 5km out, which was wet and bumpy, but I never felt in any danger. Did turn back and sheltered closer to shore and it wasn't bad except I kept dragging my anchor (I'd taken my smallest one for space saving). But even 5km out, the waves didn't seem anywhere near as large as the ones today. Live and learn I guess.

I'm on leave for a few weeks from Tuesday anyway, so I'll do my trialling mid week and away from the crowds. I'm considering Hastings as it seems to be an all tides launch. I'd do Blind Bight, but tides obviously determine when you can launch and the 1.4m kayak depth guide won't apply (though I've seen boats launch there at maybe 1.7m according to willy weather). Once I'm more comfortable with the whole boat thing Blind Bight should be a reasonable launch spot, since I'm pretty familiar with the channel and have reasonable soundings to help with staying on track.

Return to “Boating”