melb boat show

ango

Re: melb boat show

Post by ango » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:31 pm

Went in this morning, caught the train in, beats driving through the traffic and cheaper, only about 14 bucks return fare and no parking fees or hassles. I was quiet surprised at how few people were there but in the past I generally went in on the weekends. There was not too much to look at really, a bit less than last year and no boats seemed like a significant improvement on the one I already own, bit of a trend towards thicker aluminium 3 mm bottom & topsides in the "tinnies" and some cheap BMT packages probably made in China. Purchased a new fishing coat, $30.00 for a good warm weatherproof parka. (as I found out while walking home from the station in the rain). Fishing tackle was in general brands unknown to me, most likely junk. Probably will not go next year.
Regards
Ango.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:40 pm

that's interesting scott ! didn't think that it would be that much of a ratio sold ! but there you go.
I was asked to go to the boat show, but im like a few have already said, parking, entry fee, content etc
having it away from town would in my opinion spark everything up again !
why not stage it at somewhere like hastings ( just as an example )
its a fishing community, there's water there, it would inject some much needed dollars into the local coffers, rather than the cost of entry
going to exhibition property owners in town who have no real connection to what there promoting !
then the exhibitors could probably display what fisho's actually want to see. maybe test rides in new boats ?
swap venues every year or let one community take ownership of the idea.
pretty radical idea, but ive lost interest in the current set up !
turn it into something the average to the experienced fisho would want to go and see, who knows, maybe they could actually sell more
product !

just an idea off the cuff.......

cheers
col

shazzagraz

Post by shazzagraz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:15 pm

blacklab99 wrote:that's interesting scott ! didn't think that it would be that much of a ratio sold ! but there you go.
I was asked to go to the boat show, but im like a few have already said, parking, entry fee, content etc
having it away from town would in my opinion spark everything up again !
why not stage it at somewhere like hastings ( just as an example )
its a fishing community, there's water there, it would inject some much needed dollars into the local coffers, rather than the cost of entry
going to exhibition property owners in town who have no real connection to what there promoting !
then the exhibitors could probably display what fisho's actually want to see. maybe test rides in new boats ?
swap venues every year or let one community take ownership of the idea.
pretty radical idea, but ive lost interest in the current set up !
turn it into something the average to the experienced fisho would want to go and see, who knows, maybe they could actually sell more
product !

just an idea off the cuff.......

cheers
col
I like your idea but don't see it happening as those outer suburbs are not central enough. Personally, I'd be much more inclined to go to these shows if they were in fishing towns like you suggested, even though it'd be a longer trip for me to get to.

And just a tip when posting, don't hit enter mid sentence. It makes it really hard to read because I'm not sure if you're starting a new paragraph or not every time it jumps to a new line.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:27 pm

quote="scott__henning"]anyone buy a boat? some nice offerings this year.

surtees/extreme/barcusher really stood out this year, it seems that every year less and less fibreglass boats are sold here.

had a long chat with 'river to reef' host and MY Marine owner Theo Rozakis who said he dropped Haines from his stock after selling 10 surtees/stabi's for every Hains sold.[/quote]
I bought a stabicraft 1850
659 stabi 1530 stabi 1850 supercab 018.jpg
659 stabi 1530 stabi 1850 supercab 018.jpg (14.49 KiB) Viewed 554 times
:rofl: :rofl: then i woke up i was dreaming again Bangg
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Did anyone buy a Hobie? Heard Scott Lovig was offering $500 off Hobies purchased at the boat show!

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Bro-in-law was working his stand again this year. Said that things overall were a bit slow, even though they did ok.
With so many big companies closing down & sacking workers, combined with the budget, etc people are just a bit wary to go spending extravagantly.

Return to “Boating”