Any diesel experienced mechanics here?

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Re: Any diesel experienced mechanics here?

Post by Tim399 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:18 pm

ducky wrote:On a similar vein to the op but with no underlying mech issue. My 2010 r51 2.5l diesel pathfinder (same as d40 navara) isn't the most powerful beast in the world. Also blows plenty of black smoke when you give it the boot. What's the simplest things I can do to up the power? Not after game changing stuff but just your little mods that add a couple of % along the way.
Ducky i had a d22 navara (different engine) but i blanked off the egr valve, which does not add more power but the turbo comes to life a little earlier in the rev range. Im not too sure if this will throw an engine warning in your particular engine however it didnt in mine. Navara.asia forum is a wealth of knowledge and will have step by step mods :thumbsup:

coln72

Post by coln72 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:41 pm

There is a recall on some Diesel Captiva's. Rocker gear is being replaced under warranty. We have also replaced lifters and cam shafts due to wear. I'd be asking your local dealer whether or not that this has been done.

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Independant diesel mechanic ran ECU fault codes check returned faulty MAF sensor. On closer inspection the sensor was dead.

I ordered one in from SA. Hopefully install it on the weekend and I'll update back.

Cheers guys

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Id be going back to the dealer with the results and demanding a refund of the cost of the service work that should have been avoided had they done a diagnostic check.

They won't give you the refund. But stage two is prepare it all in a well worded complaint and post it on holders facebook page. Line up a few mates to post on it so it gets their attention. That should prove effective. Has worked for me in the past when a big business legitimately ripped me off then fobbed off my private complaints.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:20 pm

i can only reflect whats been already said.
but having done quite a few mods to my turboed (petrol) cars before i can shed some light

always make sure the intercooler is free from oil, once the oil gets inside and coats the fins of the intercooler its basically useless
diesels usually have lots of crap soot and oil recirculated in their intake for emissions so pull the intercooler hose off and see if there oil inside it.
to clean it properly you will have to remove the intercooler and wash the insides with turps/petrol or similar cleaning agent

next thing is to try and avoid the oiled filters if you have a Hotwire type afm/maf the oil will eventually damage the sensor and you will get similar symptoms. **** idling, black smoke, running rich / lean running on less cylinders, Check engine light etc etc.

ducky i would def get a chip mate..
the chip really does change the way the engine drives after.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:28 pm

Cheers purple, Tim, pod. Will look into it.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”