Does anybody have an Idrive on their car?

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Does anybody have an Idrive on their car?

Post by Boonanza » Sun May 26, 2019 7:47 pm

ben475 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:19 pm
let us know how you go with it.
I drive a triton at work and when you first put your foot down nothing... after about 2 seconds it kicks in and revs hard, its **** house coming out of an intersection if you need to be quick, the ute has reasonable power once the throttle responds so i'm thinking these throttle controllers might fix that.
I know exactly what you mean it feels like the old 70s 6 cyl fords on a hot that would get vapour lock. Trust me mate these idrive's are great and it feels like a different car to drive it's just getting the setting right to suit the way you drive which I'm still trying to work out.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 26, 2019 10:14 pm

How hard was it to install.

Brett .
Yes am aware no power gains. By grunt I meant take off from standstill. Automatic and a CVT transmission plus flyby wire = massive fail..

Boonanza

Post by Boonanza » Mon May 27, 2019 6:52 am

It takes about 2 minutes to install Steve :thumbsup:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 27, 2019 9:02 am

Boonanza wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:52 am
It takes about 2 minutes to install Steve :thumbsup:
Half a day it is then :-D

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon May 27, 2019 1:45 pm

Thanks for the information Steve
My V6 highlux does not have that problem (heavy on fuel though)
I do remember work had turbo diesel Hyundai's & they hesitated off the line.
So I'm thinking this is a turbo diesel problem??
Cheers Gra

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:56 pm

Just thinking outside the box here, could the lag in the take-off of newer automatic turbo diesels be intentional, for example to prevent sudden load being put on the driveline in the highest torque gear (1st) when someone slams the accelerator to the floor? I’d like to think the car manufacturers could solve this lag issue with the millions of dollars that go into product development and research, rather than a (comparatively) smaller companie’s research budget to solve this problem.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I am no mechanic or expert with cars, just wondering if the cars leave the factory with the lag for a reason or to see if anyone might have a better idea other than it being an issue the manufacturers could not solve/didn’t bother with

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Mon May 27, 2019 8:07 pm

You are on the money Tim. The lag and mushy feel of a turbo diesel launching is due to a number of things including intentional torque management by the ECU....the engine might well produce 580+ Nm of torque, but you certainly don't have access to all of it all of the time. When you think about the design of a fly by wire throttle system, response should be near on instantaneous....but it is far from it. To get a good launch out of these vehicles, some drivers advocate loading up by applying the brakes while increasing throttle to spool up turbo etc.

I reckon the WK2 is actually one of the worst vehicles to drive slowly over rough ground because of the absolute shitful FBW throttle. Precise input and control at low speed is very tricky.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:31 pm

If you are looking at getting one you can currently use the coupon code “holden4x4” and it will discount the price to $230.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:58 pm

Stumpjumper wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:07 pm
You are on the money Tim. The lag and mushy feel of a turbo diesel launching is due to a number of things including intentional torque management by the ECU....the engine might well produce 580+ Nm of torque, but you certainly don't have access to all of it all of the time. When you think about the design of a fly by wire throttle system, response should be near on instantaneous....but it is far from it. To get a good launch out of these vehicles, some drivers advocate loading up by applying the brakes while increasing throttle to spool up turbo etc.

I reckon the WK2 is actually one of the worst vehicles to drive slowly over rough ground because of the absolute shitful FBW throttle. Precise input and control at low speed is very tricky.
Just don't spool it up in the wet especially with a LSD rear diff unless you like the arse end drifting sideways through the gears in a manual...

I don't have an Idrive or any other throttle management system in the car with fbw throttle(08 Triton 4m41). The lag isn't annoying as such, but being manual certainly helps avoid the lag when overtaking or anything other than a standing start unless riding the clutch for half a second

Boonanza

Post by Boonanza » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:46 pm

Brett wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:31 pm
If you are looking at getting one you can currently use the coupon code “holden4x4” and it will discount the price to $230.
Did you end up getting one Brett?

Return to “Off Topic Forum”