Mazda CX-9 Good, bad, tow?

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
intercooledpc2
Has liked: 2 times

Mazda CX-9 Good, bad, tow?

Post by intercooledpc2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a Mazda CX-9 4wd. Primarily it will be used to cart the family around, weekend getaways, and importantly, tow our 5.3m fibreglass boat, with 115HP 4 stroke around.

It's towing capacity is rated at 2000kg braked, which I think should be fine for our boat. The Toyota Kluger is also rated at 2000KG braked towing and this is the other car we are considering.

I can't say I see too many CX-9's parked at the boat ramp, but i see a hell of a lot of them on the road. Looking for any opinions on this car, particularly what it's towing ability is like.

The CX-9 interior looks more flashy than the Kluger, but it's hard to go past the reliability factor of Toyota, plus i like the shape of it, probably a little more than the CX-9.

I'm leaning towards the CX-9 at this stage, purely because it looks a little more.. well nicer on the inside, fresher, more modern, where as the Kulger looks more basic, with very plain instruments and a rather dull looking interior.

What are you thoughts?

Thanks
Dave

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Mazda CX-9 Good, bad, tow?

Post by frozenpod » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Mazda's reliability is very high so no worries there.

I am a toyota fan but I don't like the kluger all that much. It is ok, good quality, reliable, great engine and trans but doesn't handle well and has a poor turning circle.

You wont go wrong with either for your application, take them for a test drive and pick which you like best.

intercooledpc2
Has liked: 2 times

Post by intercooledpc2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:51 pm

frozenpod wrote:Mazda's reliability is very high so no worries there.

I am a toyota fan but I don't like the kluger all that much. It is ok, good quality, reliable, great engine and trans but doesn't handle well and has a poor turning circle.

You wont go wrong with either for your application, take them for a test drive and pick which you like best.
Thanks for that.

I don't doubt the Mazda's reliability, as i have a Mazda 3 and it's a solid car.

I took the Kluger for a test drive. It felt smooth and all, not that much power (but didn't floor it) and just felt, well.. 'ok'

I'll give the Mazda's a closer look and see what they are like in the flesh.

Thanks again

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:34 pm

Have test driven both and hands down the CX-9 feels a lot better. In a funny way the Klugger felt like a boat which obviously isn't what you want on dry land lol
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

williwonder

Post by williwonder » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:17 pm

I have heard the Mazda is thirsty on fuel. cheers

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:44 pm

I must admit I've not looked at the mazdas. But I do have a new Nissan xtrail earmarked for the missus sometime in the next 12 months. 2000kg towing. Fuel efficient on diesel around 7.5l/100km. Happy days. Will scope out the cx9

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:47 am

My mate had a whittley 5.8 with an inbd he bought a cx9 he had to sell it it wasn't upto the job he bought a colarado. A guy a work has a kluger 4x4 he tows a haines 5.4 he loves it. Both cars come in 2wd which is the front wheels only I am not a fan of fwd cars and towing, launching boats.Check out the dealer if it has a towbar take it for a test drive with your boat better safe than you not liking it later.

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:49 pm

if you only need 5 seats have look at the mitsubishi challenger 2.5lt diesel 3tn towing cap. dual cabs attract commercial toll charges on the toll ways i look at diesel for towing

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:53 am

Kluger is not a true 4x4. Awd. Thirsty as. Cx9 is nice, maybe a little thirsty, but not sure how it will cope towing. Again awd? Challenger although probably not as luxurious as the others will handle the job with ease and is a true 4x4. Good luck
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:33 pm

i wouldn't go down the CX9 path, will do the job, but not really designed to pull boats around, hence the low max tow weight, I know someone that pulls a 6 mtr and so far the auto isn't coping and the fuel is shocking, I know you mentioned yours is a 5.3. the kluger I rate as the same, not really designed to haul boats around.
a 5.3 fibreglass fully loaded im picking you will be around 1.3-1.5 t
you cant go past the nissans or the new ford's, preferably diesel, gives you the option to tow something heavier if you upgrade at a later date.
just gotta make your mind up whether you want a luxury ride, or something your not going to wreck towing and at the ramps.
remember, all wheel drive is not a 4 wheel drive. im just looking at upgrading wifes 7 year old Xtrail, might look at the new model for her, but it can not cope with my 5.4mt fibreglass ! if I towed my boat with it, it just wouldn't last.
lots of options out there, don't skimp on power !!!

col

Return to “Off Topic Forum”