Renting out the Beach House, then this happened

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
TackleNut

Renting out the Beach House, then this happened

Post by TackleNut » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:48 pm

Rent the damn thing out for flips sake. Over summer you will bring in some good $$$$
Hi All,
here is a long spiel on what happened when we tried to rent it out to freinds...
Have given the house out quite a number of times to those friends that wanted to buy the house, and even have let their 19 & 22 year olds have the place over New Years for nothing for the past 3 years. Damn why do friends make it so hard ?

Renting it out sounds good but not as easy for me as it sounds.

From what my sources tell me I can't rent the thing out as it will hurt Helens invalid pension even more, it's like what you get with one hand you give out with the other. No better off. :shark:

Rent it out for cash to people I know for holidays.
That was the end of 3 x 20+ year friendships.
How's this for a scam by some of our now so called friends.
Same thing, friends saying I should rent it out as I need the money, and they are willing to rent it. More than happy to pay going rates
It was a number of years ago and they wanted it for 2 weeks in early January. They will pay what the rates are.
I said to them you know what its costing down here in summer ? Sure they say, $1500-$2000 per week. And I said yes but Helen & I would be happy to give it to you for half, saying $750, less than $110 per day.
They of course jumped at it as they normally leave their 3 dogs in a boarding kennel at $55 per day each = $165 per day. Stupid me didn't realise how much they paid for boarding until they told us later, as we ( Helen & I ) let them take their dogs as we are dog lovers anyway and at the time had 2 of our own but we never boarded them.

Well the same night just after they rang to book, another friend rang and said that she just spoke to P&P ( their names ) and it all sounds great and could she rent it the week before. We actually wanted it that week, but the thought of getting some extra cash was the clincher.
Forward to the 30th December and we meet ( lets call her, JJ ) JJ and her 2 dogs at the house to give her the keys. She's another one that normally boards her dogs at the same place as P&P when she goes away, but she has brought them with her. We speak, give her the keys and all is good in the world.
Yeah right. :doh1:
Unknown to us until the end of her time, when Helen & I go down to see how JJ & her 2 dogs have gone and pick up the keys, we find that she has had P&P & their 3 dogs & 2 rabbits with her since the second day.

Now we were slightly miffed at that, but I didn't tell Helen till much later that she refused to pay the $750 for the week as there was only 1 of her, and I was renting out the house to P&P for $750 the following day. Why should she pay $750 when the others are a couple.
Hang on now JJ, you rang us and told us that you wanted the house and also you have invited others into our house to stay for 6 days without telling us, we knew nothing about this and would not have allowed it as its only a small beach house that we just had finished renovating and didn't need a house full of people plus 5 dogs & 2 rabbits living in the house !
JJ for f#&ks sake do you think that is fair ? She replies, well if she rented a car she wouldn't be told who she can drive around in it with. That was her opinion and she is sticking to it.
I say bugger it then JJ, just pay us 1/2 as our friendship is worth more than that...
So I actually got $350 from her as she only had $50 notes and no one had change. So we missed out again there.
Now it gets worse,
we collect the keys from JJ and give them to P&P who have already been there 6 days, for their 2 weeks. JJ was packing as Helen and I left. Or so we thought.
2 weeks go by and we once again go down to the holiday house, but when we get there we go to see next door 1st to say hello. Carlo, the next door neighbour tells me its been wild at our house for the past 3 weeks, and theres been a stack of people staying. Grrr
So we go to our house to find JJ and her dogs still there,
plus so much rubbish, heaps of old food, cardboard & beer & wine bottles in the front & backyard (it took me 3 trips to the tip with the station wagon & trailer to clean it up), dog crap everywhere and blood from a couple of dog fights on the couches, rug and walls plus dog spew stains on the new carpet in our bedroom. The carpet was only installed the month before.
Then P&P, or more so one P took me aside and said its not fair that they should pay $750 per week when JJ only paid $350 :Blah:
After much talking, I just said f^%k it, pay what ever you want to pay and lets just clean it up.
They paid a total of $700, not the $1500 we had agreed on and left us without helping to clean anything.
It took me 3+ full days to clean it all up, Helen was wondering why I was so upset. So I told her about how the 3 of them had taken us for a ride.
We vowed never to rent it out again. The next year P&P wanted to rent it again, I told them it was booked out. They asked in later years several times more to rent it off us, then they finally got the hint.

But things change and times change.
Yes I need to get some $$ out of that house, it could certainly make us money rather than stay empty. Problem is what other $$ do we lose while making these $$.
Trying to get by on Social Security is a ***** I can attain to that, everything we have is classed as an asset ( except the house I live in ), furniture, cars, would you believe fishing rods & reels, even the boat is still an asset and I don't even have it ! Bloody Centrelink just doesn't want to accept that I don't have it as there is no police report.

So if anyone here wants to rent a small neat & tidy fully furnished & air conditioned 3 bedroom house about 650mtrs from the beach & 1k from the boat ramp at Tootgarook & 5ks away from Gunnamatta for cash then please let me know. I trust this sites members to look after it better than my so called friends
It won't be free, as I just have had enough of people taking everything from me. But it will be good discount.

cheers
Nick

GTSHoon

Re: Renting out the Beach House, then this happened

Post by GTSHoon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:26 am

People are serious d***s at times and struggle to see how they are impacting others and sadly its not something people are willing to resolve best to cut people like them out of your life that's for sure!!! Also sent a pm to you mate let me know if you don't receive it :)
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:23 am

Gee thats like reading days of our lives !!!

Your not having much luck...what happened to your boat ?
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:50 am

Sounds like you've had a a pretty tough go of it mate, especially from so called "friends"... Personally I'd burn those bridges, same with the one's that tried to short you in buying the house.

Maybe get a second opinion from another financial advisor.

If you do rent the place out, even to FV members, make sure you get payment before you hand over the keys and get a bond so if there is damage or rubbish left, you're covered. The honest people won't have a problem with it and removed the option of negotiating a price after the fact.
It'd be nice to be able to trust everyone but unfortunately you can't.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:30 am

Can't you sell the house toot and with that money buy a unit in the nursing home facility and then would paying a lot less out of pension for other services.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:02 am

bowl wrote:Can't you sell the house toot and with that money buy a unit in the nursing home facility and then would paying a lot less out of pension for other services.
Bowl maybe onto some good wicket here Nick.

I will definitely go and see another financial adviser ... only takes a bit of time but probably will give you a solid foundation for years to come!!!

You are between a rock and a hard place re renting there ... The normal distribution curve indicates majority of the people are decent but you have the odd small percentage that just smell like the cow manure regardless which way you handle them ... they are and will always be the crap of humanity!!!

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:09 am

Go back to the cops and get a police report, ask to speak to someone higher up. You obviously got someone who couldn't be fecked dealing with it.

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:38 am

check with a lawyer you may be able to made insurance claim on your boat

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:56 am

The justice system in Victoria sucks if you someone rips you off or steals off you. The red tape and loops you must jump through to recover what is rightfully yours, is beyond a joke!! If you have the details of the people that swiped your boat , may I suggest you get some 'hired help' to retrieve your boat from these scum bags. I have had friends in the legal fraternity suggest I explore this method of dispute resolution as the laws protect the offender rather than the victim.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:51 pm

That's very rough TN. Why do the scum-of-the-earth seem to win, and the good guys keep coming last? Do the right thing, and the bastards walk all over you! Bloody frustrating mate, I feel your pain...

That's a very nice offer you have put forward to FV members. I'd like to think you'll get nothing but respect here mate. They seem to be a good mob, and the trouble makers are addressed accordingly.

Hope you have much better luck this summer mate. Im sure you will :)

Return to “Off Topic Forum”