Any one go hunting?

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Any one go hunting?

Post by Joker91 » Sun May 17, 2015 3:50 pm

Well I've recently obtained my gun license after a long and agonizing process, and am quiet keen on getting out their and giving it a go.

My brother has a .22 and shotgun so I'll probably just use them until I get my own. He probably has the same amount of experience in hunting as me which is close to nothing hahaha

So any one got any tips, locations that aren't too far to start learning or any other general advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Joker

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Any one go hunting?

Post by Redhunter » Sun May 17, 2015 4:38 pm

You need practice mate. First bit of advice would be for you to join SSAA and go to one of the ranges and drill a few hundred rounds and familiarise yourself with the gun. Work out at what distances the bullet drops, and how much you need to compensate for this at those distances. Either way, you need to get some shooting practice.
As for hunting, State Forests are a good starting point. Buy yourself a map of the forest outlining the borders, because you do not want to step foot in National Parks or State Parks, as you could lose your gun and licence on the spot. Wet days are best, because there are less other people around, and the forest floor is softer, therefore less crunching of sticks and dry leaves under foot providing a more stealthy approach. Another tip, keep the breeze in your face (move downwind of the area you are stalking). Last but not least, be responsible out there, and respectfully enjoy what the Aussie bush has to offer.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun May 17, 2015 5:15 pm

Well said redhunter.

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sun May 17, 2015 6:00 pm

Yeah red pretty much summed it all up in a nutshell!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Master Baiter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Master Baiter » Sun May 17, 2015 6:46 pm

As far as I know if you are picked up for shooting a gun not registered in your name the person who it is registered to o will lose all guns license and can face Gaol
Wally
Always take a good look at what you are about to eat. It’s not so important to know what it is .but it’s critical to know what it was.
Wally 20/6/20

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Sun May 17, 2015 6:56 pm

Master Baiter wrote:As far as I know if you are picked up for shooting a gun not registered in your name the person who it is registered to o will lose all guns license and can face Gaol
Wally
Nah, not correct mate. Where'd you hear about that one?
As long as the firearm is registered and the person borrowing it is licenced, there shouldn't be an issue.

Master Baiter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Master Baiter » Sun May 17, 2015 7:16 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Master Baiter wrote:As far as I know if you are picked up for shooting a gun not registered in your name the person who it is registered to o will lose all guns license and can face Gaol
Wally
Nah, not correct mate. Where'd you hear about that one?
As long as the firearm is registered and the person borrowing it is licenced, there shouldn't be an issue.
The law is you must own a registered gun in your name already before you can use or borrow someone elses. Victorian Police Gun Laws. I will suggest a gun forum for accurate info for this post.
Always take a good look at what you are about to eat. It’s not so important to know what it is .but it’s critical to know what it was.
Wally 20/6/20

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sun May 17, 2015 7:20 pm

I'm with red here but would happily be proven otherwise as long as u hold the necessary licence and have permission from the guns registered owner there shouldn't be an issue. My old man n his mates shared there guns on many a trips, tho this was the 80's n 90's
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Brett

Post by Brett » Sun May 17, 2015 7:30 pm

Yep never heard that one before either. I used to use borrowed firearms all the time.

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Sun May 17, 2015 7:43 pm

Just as I thought, no dramas to borrow off a mate. Here you go Master baiter...
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=34328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you borrow a firearm from a dealer, you must already have a gun rego'd in your name though :)

Return to “Off Topic Forum”