Any one go hunting?

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Ben_4

Re: Any one go hunting?

Post by Ben_4 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:21 pm

Join Australian hunting network or AHN for short.
If you enjoy reading u will learn a hell of a lot in there.
And enjoy the **** stirring

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon May 18, 2015 7:00 am

If you don't know what gun you want to buy and are going to hold off head down to mialls in frankston and buy one of the shitty $50 single shot shotguns. Get your first 4 week PTA out of the way. After that it's closer to 48 hours.

4 weeks is a long bloody wait when you want to use your new gun. Reminds me of a simpsons episode. Haha.

Master Baiter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Master Baiter » Mon May 18, 2015 8:42 am

[quote="
If you borrow a firearm from a dealer, you must already have a gun rego'd in your name though :)[/quote]
That was my point, Not owning a registered gun in his name it is illegal. Gun laws here are very strict they don't want guns, Police do regular checks on gun storage safety a chap was not home so the wife was asked if she could open the safe for them to check the guns. Having said yes she got a spare key out of the grog cupboard and gave it to them. Hence the poor bloke lost all guns and banned for life owning gun
Wally
Always take a good look at what you are about to eat. It’s not so important to know what it is .but it’s critical to know what it was.
Wally 20/6/20

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon May 18, 2015 9:52 am

Master Baiter wrote:
Redhunter wrote: If you borrow a firearm from a dealer, you must already have a gun rego'd in your name though :)
That was my point, Not owning a registered gun in his name it is illegal. Gun laws here are very strict they don't want guns, Police do regular checks on gun storage safety a chap was not home so the wife was asked if she could open the safe for them to check the guns. Having said yes she got a spare key out of the grog cupboard and gave it to them. Hence the poor bloke lost all guns and banned for life owning gun
Wally

It is not illegal to borrow a firearm from a friend or relative.

As for the bloke in your story, that's his own fault. My whole family knows, that if I'm not home and the police arrive to check my storage, all they need to do is inform them that I am not home and let them know when I will be back.

I've only ever had my storage checked, when I've submitted a change of details.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon May 18, 2015 11:25 am

Master Baiter wrote: That was my point, Not owning a registered gun in his name it is illegal. Gun laws here are very strict they don't want guns, Police do regular checks on gun storage safety a chap was not home so the wife was asked if she could open the safe for them to check the guns. Having said yes she got a spare key out of the grog cupboard and gave it to them. Hence the poor bloke lost all guns and banned for life owning gun
Wally
But in this scenario he gave an unlicensed person access to his guns. That's a pretty bad stuff up to make. My wife doesn't have access to my safe. Nor should she.

I've never had my storage checked. everyone I know has only had it checked on change of address.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Mon May 18, 2015 3:09 pm

On a different note...we have had trouble with shooters accessing our workplace (farm) without permission via a GMW track...and they (non-employees) would never be given permission if they asked (too much red tape involved when you are dealing with so many acronyms ie, GMW, DEDJTR etc). They evaded the security patrol one night by driving into an adjoining orchard. I have no idea why anyone would take such a risk of shooting on a property without permission.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Post by Joker91 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:09 pm

Thanks for the tips gentlemen.

I'm lucky as I all ready have my brothers old gun safe all ready installed so don't need to worry about that. (His got a new safe)

I'm already a member of SSAA. But my brother would prefer to go hunting. Maybe I don't give him that much credit but he has been hunting 10+ more times but always with other people (who are not here any more), so his a good teacher guiding me through hahaha.

Where's a close place to Melton to go out for a quick session just to explore? I know there is a state Forrest near by but is the other half allowed to be hunted?

Might actually go after work and get an application done to start that 4 week wait

Master Baiter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Master Baiter » Fri May 22, 2015 2:15 pm

Maybe we may be a bit finicky in the bush just had a serve of this and you can add police with them. quote.....
Welcome to the Department of Permitting,
Inspections and Enforcement (DPIE).
DPIE is the result of an aggressive
Countywide, cross-agency initiative that
was identified, developed and implemented
to effectively streamline County government
operations in the areas of permitting,
business licensing, inspection and
property code enforcement
Wally
Always take a good look at what you are about to eat. It’s not so important to know what it is .but it’s critical to know what it was.
Wally 20/6/20

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Fri May 22, 2015 9:10 pm

Joker91 wrote:Thanks for the tips gentlemen.

I'm lucky as I all ready have my brothers old gun safe all ready installed so don't need to worry about that. (His got a new safe)

I'm already a member of SSAA. But my brother would prefer to go hunting. Maybe I don't give him that much credit but he has been hunting 10+ more times but always with other people (who are not here any more), so his a good teacher guiding me through hahaha.

Where's a close place to Melton to go out for a quick session just to explore? I know there is a state Forrest near by but is the other half allowed to be hunted?

Might actually go after work and get an application done to start that 4 week wait
I'm sure you're mighty excited to get out there amongst it...but you need to crawl before you can walk bud. Many guides actually require clients to prove themselves at a target before they will take them out in the field to chase game, because animal cruelty is unacceptable. If you have very little shooting experience, you really shouldn't be considering hunting just yet.
Apologies if I'm coming across a bit tough, but someone needs to tell you...and who knows, your brother may be due for a practise sesh too. If he's a hunter he will understand...

In the meantime, if you don't have one already, purchase yourself a handheld gps (the cheapies work fine), and a map of the Wombat State Forest. The gps will save you from getting lost, and the map outlines borders between Wombat and Lerderderg State Park, private property borders, along with tracks. Keep well away from others, and most importantly, respect our beautiful Aussie bush.
Attachments
map.jpg
map.jpg (158 KiB) Viewed 484 times

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Fri May 22, 2015 10:30 pm

Having grown up on a farm, I've hunted for almost as long as I can walk. Mostly hunt in the Alpine National Park these days, but I don't recommend there as a starting point.

Well worth getting some practice in first at a range, and when hunting for the first time/s go out with someone experienced - but just take the one firearm between the two of you. Later, a shotgun and .22 combo is quite good when there are a few bunnies about, as those that jump up nearby and run off can be taken out with the shotty while the sitters can be picked off with the .22 shooter.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”