NBN help!

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Rod Bender

NBN help!

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi all
The NBN has finally reached Shepparton. Am looking at different plans but am uncertain as to the speed required. I'm home alone and only use the net for Facebook, forums and youtube. Will the lesser speed suffice? It can't be worse than the current prepaid Dodo **** I have got.
Also, my laptop is ancient, I assume this may impede the performance of the NBN? Not sure of the technical details of the laptop except it is...ancient!
Last but not least...why would anyone go through Telstra!

Thanks in advance!
Jim
Attachments
nbn speeds.PNG
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

snapperslayer

Re: NBN help!

Post by snapperslayer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Hey mate,

To keep it short, I would go with at least 25Mbps the second option and even if you get up to 20Mbps, (due to many variables) download speed you are laughing. Your laptop hasn't got anything to do with Nbn speeds. If it runs fine, it's fine.

You can do a simple speed test by visiting the link below.
http://www.ozspeedtest.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope it helps

Cheers,
D
Last edited by snapperslayer on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:17 pm

snapperslayer wrote:Hey mate,

To keep it short, I would go with at least 25Mbps the second option and even if you get up to 20Mbps, (due to many variables) download speed you are laughing.

Your laptop hasn't got anything to do with Nbn speeds. If it runs fine, it's fine.

Cheers,
D
Im on the 25mbps plan with iinet, plenty fast enough, and crazy good ping for games (between 5 and 20) For what you're doing it will be more than enough, I get download speeds of over 2mb a sec consistantly. The NBN is so much better than the previous internet, you will love it.

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:32 am

Put it this way i have Optus Cable internet and was basically getting a top speed of 100mb 5 to 6 years back and still to this day. The NBN is a roll-out of outdated infrastructure compared to Europe and America where they are getting speeds of up to 1gb.

If you're a hardcore gamer and download a lot spend a little bit extra it is definitely worth it. I would at least go for the middle package. The size of files are constantly growing and arn't going to get any smaller.

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:42 pm

By the sounds of it I don't think bender is either a hardcore gamer nor a big downloader.

With iiNet at least, you can up your package for free whenever u like, and can dial back for free once every 6 months so what we did was start on the cheaper one, and just bump it up if needed. Turns out 25mbps is plenty for me, I get a super low ping, which is all I need for fps games, and a TB of data is plenty for what we do. Internode is also worth checking out. Tpg is the other contender but there are bad reports of them getting congested at peak times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:00 pm

Scraglor wrote:....Tpg is the other contender but there are bad reports of them getting congested at peak times....
This I did not want to hear! So where can I find these bad reports?
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:16 pm

Mostly anecdotal reports from friends that have used them tbh. Basically the bottleneck occurs at the "exchange" where each ISP only gets as much bandwidth as they pay for for all of their users. As tpg offer the unlimited bandwidth for a low price they sometimes don't pay for enough throughput for the load at peak times. Bear in mind this is entirely location specific and may be totally fine, but I have a mate who gets a ping of 300-400 which is unplayable whereas I get 4-15 in the same area. This probably isn't even an issue to you if you aren't playing games.

Again, I am no expert, so I am happy to be corrected by somewhere more in the know, but I have a mate who works for Telstra in a technical role. And he recommends internode so I reckon it's worth checking out. I personally am happy with iiNet, I have had the the best experience with their tech support when I couldn't get it going. Turns out the previous owner of my house had a fax line, hence why the line wasn't working but the guy from South Africa was awesome to deal with, and even gave me a good restraunt to check out should I ever go to Johannesburg haha

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:44 pm

My Dad installs NBN for a living at the moment, makes me so jealous to hear of all this happening around me and im like, 1 step up from dial-up still (ADSL). You wont need a huge data usage plan if your only surfing websites and whatnot if that helps. Enjoy
You know what you'd rather be doinnnn

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:58 pm

Thought I had a reasonable command of the English language but the secret is out- I have absolutely no idea what you blokes are talking about.
It,s an age thing of course, what you blokes take for granted because you have been bought up with it is a foreign language to me.I,m not embarrassed about this,just a sign of the times.
Perhaps it may help some to understand why some of us struggle to do pictures and add little gizmos to our threads etc etc. Just a thought for understanding why the silly old farts, some with a wealth of knowledge built up over decades of fishing cannot always present it the way some think it should be done.
Just something to ponder.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Scraglor

NBN help!

Post by Scraglor » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:51 pm

Blue wrote:Thought I had a reasonable command of the English language but the secret is out- I have absolutely no idea what you blokes are talking about.
It,s an age thing of course, what you blokes take for granted because you have been bought up with it is a foreign language to me.I,m not embarrassed about this,just a sign of the times.
Perhaps it may help some to understand why some of us struggle to do pictures and add little gizmos to our threads etc etc. Just a thought for understanding why the silly old farts, some with a wealth of knowledge built up over decades of fishing cannot always present it the way some think it should be done.
Just something to ponder.
Blue
Mate, I have a cert 4 in network management and 2.5 years of a software engineering degree and have no idea what computer people talk about these days. Haha. So don't feel too bad

Return to “Off Topic Forum”