Snags on Friday..

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Snags on Friday..

Post by bowl » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:37 pm

Kimtown wrote:Today I learnt a few things. I'm ignorant, an attention seeker and an a*******.

:)

I should have prefaced by stating I feel sorry for farmers that bought into the industry and put their hard earned up front and luck was against them after all the blood, sweat and tears (much like all the small business owners who fail) But that's 1 in 10. Majority of farmers are born into their profession and sit on a ******* gold mine, yet still believe they are doing it harder than every other australian out there. It seems it's okay for a farmer to ask for handouts but a bloke who goes bankrupt and turns to centrelink is looked down upon...?
U have small business go broke kimtown?

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:43 pm

bowl wrote:
Kimtown wrote:Today I learnt a few things. I'm ignorant, an attention seeker and an a*******.

:)

I should have prefaced by stating I feel sorry for farmers that bought into the industry and put their hard earned up front and luck was against them after all the blood, sweat and tears (much like all the small business owners who fail) But that's 1 in 10. Majority of farmers are born into their profession and sit on a ******* gold mine, yet still believe they are doing it harder than every other australian out there. It seems it's okay for a farmer to ask for handouts but a bloke who goes bankrupt and turns to centrelink is looked down upon...?
U have small business go broke kimtown?
Nah mate lol but I do know people who have. They worked their tits off, put it all on the line and lost it all. The certainly didnt feel the need to start a gofundme and after being donated a seriously generous amount complained that a portion was to go to the ATO

It's seriously lulsy how self entitled "some" farmers "can" be

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Where shall I start !
Hmm.
Having been bought up on a dairy farm and fully knowing the sheer hours of graft put in 7 days a week, I share the empathy with these farmers.
FACT, farms cannot be simply handed over to their sons.
FACT there are way less generational handed down farms, than those bought independantly.
Whilst it was commented here that a lot of farmers are ahead of there mortgages ??? WHAT ? isn't everyone ahead of there mortgage before trouble or disaster shows its head ? Do people realise the income generated on the farm, goes straight into the local town !
I hear a lot of "townie" comments on here, with information gathered from, Well, talk back shows or maybe greenies from the city.
Farmers in this country probably do more for the internal ecconomics of Australia, especially rural cities than any other industry in Australia.
You See, if it not be for the farmers and the production of goods that they provide, city slickers would be paying 100 kilo for imported meat, god knows what for your warm milk drinks before bed ! and it wouldn't be the top quality you have on your plates at the minute.
This is a major catastrophy for not only the farmers, but for Australians as well for our domestic ecconomy, Farming, believe it or not is the back bone of this country, NO, not the tec company you work for or that new industry which doesn't contribute to the country like the farming industry does.
Somewhere I read earlier, that some idiot was saying on here that, oh, I've heard that it's not as bad as everyones saying ! Get fricken real ! Head up north and go have a look, who ever told you that, ask him where in his dream head does he get that sort of false information !!!
Lack of understanding, or simple ignorance, is the only reason any one could possibly question whether there are major problems on the farm at the minute, perhaps atrip out of the city is the only way for some to realise. Victoria could also fall to the current drought that's happening further north, you see, we havent had the rains this season, feed is drying up already, which will come back and bite us come spring and summer, it's a roll on effect.
So, that's my rant over !
I now live in the city, but, as mentioned, I've been in there shoes, yes it's there choice, yes there are good years, but most are so mortaged up that even leaving there farms is impossible, they dont want handouts, they just don't want to have to shoot their animals !
So, go buy a sausage and support the families on the land !
Then maybe when your in trouble through unforseen circumstances, others may dig deep and help you out of troubled times...

Just saying

Col
Last edited by blacklab99 on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:54 pm

blacklab99 wrote:Where shall I start !
Hmm.
Having been bought up on a dairy farm and fully knowing the sheer hours of graft put in 7 days a week, I share the empathy with these farmers.
FACT there are way less generational handed down farms, than those bought independantly.
Whilst it was commented here that a lot of farmers are ahead of there mortgages ??? WHAT ? isn't everyone ahead of there mortgage before trouble or disaster shows its head ? Do people realise the income generated on the farm, goes straight into the local town !
I hear a lot of "townie" comments on here, with information gathered from, Well, talk back shows or maybe greenies from the city.
Farmers in this country probably do more for the internal ecconomics of Australia, especially rural cities than any other industry in Australia.
You See, if it not be for the farmers and the production of goods that they provide, city slickers would be paying 100 kilo for imported meat, god knows what for your warm milk drinks before bed ! and it wouldn't be the top quality you have on your plates at the minute.
This is a major catastrophy for not only the farmers, but for Australians as well for our domestic ecconomy, Farming, believe it or not is the back bone of this country, NO, not the tec company you work for or that new industry which doesn't contribute to the country like the farming industry does.
Somewhere I read earlier, that some idiot was saying on here that, oh, I've heard that it's not as bad as everyones saying ! Get fricken real ! Head up north and go have a look, who ever told you that, ask him where in his dream head does he get that sort of false information !!!
Lack of understanding, or simple ignorance, is the only reason any one could possibly question whether there are major problems on the farm at the minute, perhaps atrip out of the city is the only way for some to realise. Victoria could also fall to the current drought that's happening further north, you see, we havent had the rains this season, feed is drying up already, which will come back and bite us come spring and summer, it's a roll on effect.
I now live in the city, but, as mentioned, I've been in there shoes, yes it's there choice, yes there are good years, but most are so mortaged up that even leaving there farms is impossible.
Then maybe when your in trouble through unforseen circumstances, others may dig deep and help you out of troubled times...

Just saying

Col
I'll get to this big bastard of a post after dinner lol

Edit: they aren't really facts. At least not true facts anyway. As far as I'm aware, farms can well and truly be handed down, I work with a bloke who inherited 200 acres of farm land... if you are sold farm land for the price of $0 off your parents, all you would have to pay for is the stamp duty of what the farmland is worth and the title goes in your name.

I'd like to see some figures on what's bought and what's been passed on through generations. I Googled but found it hard to find anything concrete. I know in my region, every farmer i know had it through family lines. Obviously that isnt the case for everywhere but it's just a small sample size.
Last edited by Kimtown on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:28 pm

Hmm.
Lack of understanding, or simple ignorance, is the only reason any one could possibly question whether there are major problems on the farm at the minute, perhaps atrip out of the city is the only way for so me to realise. Victoria could also fall to the current drought that's happening further north, you see, we havent had the rains this season, feed is drying up already, which will come back and bite us come spring and summer, it's a roll on effect.
I now live in the city, but, as mentioned, I've been in there shoes, yes it's there choice, yes there are good years, but most are so mortaged up that even leaving there farms is impossible.

Just saying

Col
Col it's looking for the facts amidst the media hysteria and the sceptics that is the hardest part in this issue.

https://www.griffith.edu.au/__data/asse ... anning.pdf
"The majority of Australian farms are ‘family farms’, that is, those that are owned and operated by members of
a nuclear or extended family."
"The majority of farms in Australia are ‘family farms’ (Kilpatrick, 2000; Wheeler, et al. 2012) accounting for about 60 per cent of land use in Australia (Australian Government, 2011), and
an important key to the continuation of family farming is succession by subsequent generations."

The farm debt figures I heard briefly on ABC news was not a talkback segment will try and find some figures but these questions need to be asked. Do farmers have redraw facilities that can be utilised before seeking government intervention? The other source of Money is the farm deposit management scheme designed so farmers can have money put away for later use with provisions for times of hardship as in droughts.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Primary ... ts-scheme/

An article I read and shared posts a different light on a tough situation. Appears others were more prepared for the situation at hand.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-0 ... t/10078840
The rest of the post about townies etc creating an us and them mentality goes against the farmers cause. Am all for supporting and assisting those in need but I prefer to put my hard earned into something once I am more informed.(farmers aren't the only people who work in hard stressful jobs) Won't stop me buying a snag if I am driving past though

Farmers are another cog in the economy and society not above or below other hardworking Aussies. If they are genuinely in strife and have no other resources rally behind them same as the auto manufacturing workers who no longer have their industry or workers who get locked out of workplaces to watch replacements come in for half their previous pay something the dairy farmers surely can relate to with the deregulation of farm gate prices at their own hands and the subsequent influx of foreign milk products.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:39 pm

rb85 wrote:
Hmm.
Lack of understanding, or simple ignorance, is the only reason any one could possibly question whether there are major problems on the farm at the minute, perhaps atrip out of the city is the only way for so me to realise. Victoria could also fall to the current drought that's happening further north, you see, we havent had the rains this season, feed is drying up already, which will come back and bite us come spring and summer, it's a roll on effect.

Just saying

Col
Col it's looking for the facts amidst the media hysteria and the sceptics that is the hardest part in this issue.

https://www.griffith.edu.au/__data/asse ... anning.pdf
"The majority of Australian farms are ‘family farms’, that is, those that are owned and operated by members of
a nuclear or extended family."
"The majority of farms in Australia are ‘family farms’ (Kilpatrick, 2000; Wheeler, et al. 2012) accounting for about 60 per cent of land use in Australia (Australian Government, 2011), and
an important key to the continuation of family farming is succession by subsequent generations."

The farm debt figures I heard briefly on ABC news was not a talkback segment will try and find some figures but these questions need to be asked. Do farmers have redraw facilities that can be utilised before seeking government intervention? The other source of Money is the farm deposit management scheme designed so farmers can have money put away for later use with provisions for times of hardship as in droughts.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Primary ... ts-scheme/

An article I read and shared posts a different light on a tough situation. Appears others were more prepared for the situation at hand.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-0 ... t/10078840
The rest of the post about townies etc creating an us and them mentality goes against the farmers cause. Am all for supporting and assisting those in need but I prefer to put my hard earned into something once I am more informed.(farmers aren't the only people who work in hard stressful jobs) Won't stop me buying a snag if I am driving past though

Farmers are another cog in the economy and society not above or below other hardworking Aussies. If they are genuinely in strife and have no other resources rally behind them same as the auto manufacturing workers who no longer have their industry or workers who get locked out of workplaces to watch replacements come in for half their previous pay something the dairy farmers surely can relate to with the deregulation of farm gate prices at their own hands and the subsequent influx of foreign milk products.
Tread carefully mate you might be called names for giving an opinion (on a forum of all places!!!!! How dare you) and backing it with statistics and evidence lol.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:41 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 4zvuv.html
Then theres the poor school cleaners.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Hmm.

Just saying

Col

Edit: they aren't really facts. At least not true facts anyway. As far as I'm aware, farms can well and truly be handed down, I work with a bloke who inherited 200 acres of farm land... if you are sold farm land for the price of $0 off your parents, all you would have to pay for is the stamp duty of what the farmland is worth and the title goes in your name.

I'd like to see some figures on what's bought and what's been passed on through generations. I Googled but found it hard to find anything concrete. I know in my region, every farmer i know had it through family lines. Obviously that isnt the case for everywhere but it's just a small sample size.
What is your agenda? Why keep commenting on this thread that is about good will and turning it into a **** fight FFS :down:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:05 pm

Boonanza wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
Hmm.

Just saying

Col

What is your agenda? Why keep commenting on this thread that is about good will and turning it into a sh*t fight FFS :down:
Just giving my (unpopular) opinion... that is what we do here, right? :( You were the the one who resorted to name calling because you disagreed with my opinion..

I'll grab a snag Friday. It's nice that a portion of that is going to our farmers but I'll be honest with myself, I'm mostly getting that sausage because they are yummy yummy in my tummy.

I'd prefer it be donated to the Salvos, cancer research or the thousand other more deserving industries but it is what it is.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:10 pm

From now on I'll just stick to threads I can be positive and HAPPY in!

Sorry everyone for being a party pooper. If anyones near Warragul friday, the snags are on me boys

Return to “Off Topic Forum”