Snags on Friday..

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Snags on Friday..

Post by bowl » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:07 am

Foreigners with deep pockets.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:24 am

Kimtown wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
purple5ive wrote:If it werent for the farmers here. We would all be paying a fair bit for our food here. Much like our fishing tackle prices..
Not exactly true...the Chinese economy is growing, they want quality Australian produce & are willing to pay for it....unfortunately this demand is driving up prices and that's why the majority of us are eating lower quality imported foods (if you want quality Australian produce, you have to pay top dollar for it) Farming is no different from any other business, it just has more of an emotional connection with Australians as we identify it with our culture.
The world is changing and it's not just the climate. Australian attitudes towards farming need to change too. No point putting water in a bucket that has holes in it, it's time to get a new bucket.
It's too bad your a fan of four n twenty...

I reckon we'd get along alright :rofl:
Probably not...I find your grammar offensive ('Stay Woke' agitates me to no end) :-D
For the record, Four 'n' twenty 95% Australian ingredients and Mrs Macs is only 89%

Interesting topic, but probably more relevant to the forum if you talked about how the marine environment might become healthy again once the poor old farmers in Werribee stop polluting the bay with chemical run-off once they sell off their land for billions to developers over the next decade

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:43 am

Quite correct 4litres, infrastructure is needed
During the millenion drought Victoria built a North South pipeline & a desalination plant
A Singaporean businessman brought Pardoo station in WA for $20 million. The previous owner knew there was an underground river, but, could not afford to access it. Another $20 million later and they have sh@tloads of water. He's spending another $20 million to utilise more of the water and therefore run more cattle, to recope his outlay.
What Aussie farmer could afford that. Kidman never did it.

Don't get me started on the Murray Darling basin authority. You might a well throw $100 bills into the dry riverbeds. Who owns most of the water rights, board members of the MDBA, that's who.
Gra

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:47 am

It's almost like the climate is changing.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Texas

Post by Texas » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:55 am

Kimtown wrote:
4liters wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
purple5ive wrote:If it werent for the farmers here. We would all be paying a fair bit for our food here. Much like our fishing tackle prices..
Not exactly true...the Chinese economy is growing, they want quality Australian produce & are willing to pay for it....unfortunately this demand is driving up prices and that's why the majority of us are eating lower quality imported foods (if you want quality Australian produce, you have to pay top dollar for it) Farming is no different from any other business, it just has more of an emotional connection with Australians as we identify it with our culture.
The world is changing and it's not just the climate. Australian attitudes towards farming need to change too. No point putting water in a bucket that has holes in it, it's time to get a new bucket.
This is similar to my line of thought. If we’re so concerned about keeping farms going why are we allowing our very best farmland to be dug up and turned into housing estate while keeping comparatively unproductive farmers on a drip feed of drought assistance? It’d be more useful to either buy the land off them completely or give them a grant or interest free loan to build
better irrigation infrastructure or sink some bores so they are more resilient in the future.
Majority of the outskirts of my home town which was prime dairy farm country has been sold to developers over the years. Warragul to Drouin is close to connected residentually and it wont be long until pakenham through to warragul is the same. Look at officer lol 15 years ago that was basically all dairy farms.
My uncle's farm was at Mirboo North, best country in Victoria for any type of farming
Gra
When I was a kid, it was farmland between Melbourne and Dandenong

Texas

Post by Texas » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:10 pm

DougieK wrote:It's almost like the climate is changing.
It most definately is. Can we slow it or stop it???
IMO...no. It a weather cycle our world goes through, every so often
Perma frost melts realeasing more and more methane
Then the ice shelves will melt causing the cooling of the gulf stream
Then it's ice age time
Your ancestors will look back and say--- That bloody Texas was right
Gra

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:34 pm

DougieK wrote:It's almost like the climate is changing.
FFS please don't start a climate thread ! :rofl:
Last edited by hornet on Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Texas

Post by Texas » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Just returned from "Uncle Dan's" they're are taking donations too. :thumbsup:
I was just looking :rofl:
Gra
Miller's Draft $43, VB $47/48, Carlton Draft $49/50 Bombers beers $50

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Josho wrote:
Kimtown wrote:Is it un-australian of me to show little sympathy toward our farmers?

I mean, some chose their career paths, most had it handed to them on a silver platter, none of them are forced to continue doing what they are doing yet most ask for hand outs. I can guarantee almost every farmer is doing it better than the 60%+ of small business owners that go bankrupt.

Do not get me wrong, I'm not saying they don't deserve it, because they work as hard as anyone... but I'm getting a little over the sob stories being thrown in my face. Plenty of Australian industries are doing it tough, not just the farmers.

I'm gonna get ripped to shreds off everyone for my unpopular opinion but w/e.
Not unAustralian just ignorant.
The suicide rate amongst farmers is very high.

The go into so much debt buying food for there animals and then if it rain doesn' come t or they cant borrow any more money they are forced to shoot there stock.

Often next unfortunally they take there own lives .

Lots off new and central queensland havnt a blade off grass in there paddocks and no money to buy food.

Cheers bm

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:10 pm

barra mick wrote:
Josho wrote:
Kimtown wrote:Is it un-australian of me to show little sympathy toward our farmers?

I mean, some chose their career paths, most had it handed to them on a silver platter, none of them are forced to continue doing what they are doing yet most ask for hand outs. I can guarantee almost every farmer is doing it better than the 60%+ of small business owners that go bankrupt.

Do not get me wrong, I'm not saying they don't deserve it, because they work as hard as anyone... but I'm getting a little over the sob stories being thrown in my face. Plenty of Australian industries are doing it tough, not just the farmers.

I'm gonna get ripped to shreds off everyone for my unpopular opinion but w/e.
Not unAustralian just ignorant.
The suicide rate amongst farmers is very high.

The go into so much debt buying food for there animals and then if it rain doesn' come t or they cant borrow any more money they are forced to shoot there stock.

Often next unfortunally they take there own lives .

Lots off new and central queensland havnt a blade off grass in there paddocks and no money to buy food.

Cheers bm
Eucembeme down 23% on last year, Jindabyne down 18%. Broken Hill 2018 rainfall 21mm, average over a year until August 168mm. Long term August average 18.9mm, currently for the month 2.6mm with little outlook of getting anywhere near 18mm for the remainder....

Return to “Off Topic Forum”