Trailer advice

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Thomassssss

Trailer advice

Post by Thomassssss » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:38 am

Happy Sunday everyone, hope you manage to fit in a fish. I'm off to work. :down:

Anyway, my partner and I are in the market for a new trailer and I thought I might seek a bit off advice here as I know a lot of you have got knowledge around towing etc.

We are looking to buy a (new or secondhand) 6X4 trailer with a removable cage. We are moving to Tasmania early next year so firstly we need it to take the few things we are taking down with us on the boat. Otherwise we would be for general use, collecting firewood, moving soil, tip runs etc. We are looking to buy something of quality that will last. I'm interested in this one here:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HEAVY-DUTY- ... Sw2VJbUEwV

And my question is, with a GVM of 750kg, is that a bit over kill? And will our Subaru Outback with 2.5l petrol 4 cylinder cope with towing it? Is something like this going to be more sensible?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/epsom/t ... 1015968904

I would really appreciate any advice. Cheers everyone.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Re: Trailer advice

Post by KeenAds » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:23 am

750gvm is good all round trailer.

If its close to you go and see the guys at Victorian Trailers in Thomastown they are reasonable quality and well priced. Can do custom work as well if you wish. I have had mine for 4 years and had no problems the only thing I would do extra is get them to give it an extra coat of paint for better protection and risist chipping.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:23 am

KeenAds wrote:750gvm is good all round trailer.

If its close to you go and see the guys at Victorian Trailers in Thomastown they are reasonable quality and well priced. Can do custom work as well if you wish. I have had mine for 4 years and had no problems the only thing I would do extra is get them to give it an extra coat of paint for better protection and risist chipping.
I agree with all this. You wouldnt wont to go smaller than 750 (sounds like a lot of weight, but it's not). If the trailer is wider than your car it needs to be registered. You're going to have to choose between Ford and Holden wheels (so buy a spare because your Subaru wheels wont fit)...also get a electrical plug that will suit the car (I think Subaru's are round?). Outback will pull that fully loaded with ease.

Thomassssss

Post by Thomassssss » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:41 am

Cheers for that, I’ll check them out.

Thomassssss

Post by Thomassssss » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:42 am

Mattblack wrote:

I agree with all this. You wouldnt wont to go smaller than 750 (sounds like a lot of weight, but it's not). If the trailer is wider than your car it needs to be registered. You're going to have to choose between Ford and Holden wheels (so buy a spare because your Subaru wheels wont fit)...also get a electrical plug that will suit the car (I think Subaru's are round?). Outback will pull that fully loaded with ease.
Thanks Matt, I’ll keep that in mind. Cheers for the advice, and yes you’re right the Subaru as a round plug, but I’ve got a converter as I’m a serial offender in borrowing my mate’s trailer. Another reason to get our own!

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:58 am

Thomassssss wrote:

Cheers for that, I’ll check them out.
X2 for Victorian Trailers I have had my 6x4 cage trailer which I bought from them about 10 years ago & still going strong :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Thomassssss

Post by Thomassssss » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks Boony.

Thomassssss

Post by Thomassssss » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:06 pm

What’s the rough cost of rego?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:17 pm

I would go upto a 7x5 tandam
I had a 6x4 with cage and can only get 1/2 mt soil on it and.most times thats not enough.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:17 pm

Thomassssss wrote:What’s the rough cost of rego?
$59-- don't get an 'elcheapo"--- look after it and it'll last umpteen years
My mates is 30 years old, mine 20 years old.
Gra

Return to “Off Topic Forum”