Unusual 'research' activity in Docklands

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Unusual 'research' activity in Docklands

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:06 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:23 pm
Bayrock wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:30 pm
hmm.
The lack of identifying insignia from a research organisation along with poor english is of concern.
The two kids speak english pretty fluent. Probably uni kids.
But yeah, very unusual and secretive. Wonder if there's 'license' required to do a research in public place.
By the book, yes definitely! Plus anything that involves any living organism (as a very loose term) requires the relevant ethics approvals pre-funding generally.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:36 am

They are from Kennards university of mussel and bream research. The name is on the generator.

PS. No words if they found my missing cranka crabs.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:32 am

I got my PhD from Kennards Uni...shame it’s not recognised anywhere

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:47 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:36 am
They are from Kennards university of mussel and bream research. The name is on the generator.

PS. No words if they found my missing cranka crabs.
Lol Kennards uni

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:00 am

If they don't speak English and drink VB then they are probably looking for somewhere to plant a bomb.

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:29 am

skronkman wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:00 am
If they don't speak English and drink VB then they are probably looking for somewhere to plant a bomb.
Pathetic, man; reflect.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:52 am

Fishbref wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:29 am
skronkman wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:00 am
Pathetic, man; reflect.
Fishbref, I'm with you

Bugatti

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:10 am

ChrisTaylor wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:29 pm
Ha. I'm a Science & Technology teacher, and I've had some of my students build something called a SeaPerch (https://www.seaperch.org/index). The short version: a SeaPerch is a kit-built remote control sub. It's made mostly from cheap parts (simple DC motors, PVC pipes, off-cuts from pool noodles) so students can easily modify it. Of course, you could attach a GoPro to one. It's hard to tell, but it looks a little bit like a SeaPerch. My students use an inflatable pool, but if our school was close to a pier we'd be throwing them into the bay, too. I reckon you'd get some nice footage driving around the pylons of piers and docks.

EDIT

Incidentally, if anyone thinks the SeaPerch idea is kind of neat, you can order one from the website. Shipping is fiercely expensive, and the US/Australian dollar doesn't make matters any better, but it'd be easy enough to assemble one with your kids. I've had Grade 3/4s and 5/6s assemble them without too much trouble. The base design is a bit rubbish, and I reckon that's deliberate -- the whole point is students modify it.

Yeah, seems to be more the case.

Two tech savvy, enthusiastic kids being supported by their parents. Very nice to see. Good on the kids and even more gooder-on-er-er for the Parents. The Mum especially, for vigilantly holding the umbrella to shade the screens.

Research a.jpg

Chris, any idea of the total outlay dollars wise (ballpark figure), including the "Sea Perch" kit and all the other supplementary equipment costs (not including the laptop that is, or, a GoPro)?

Fish-cador wrote:
No words if they found my missing cranka crabs.

I think they have found it, I saw it on ebay , , , , to fund their equipment. Hey, maritime salvage law and all that, it's theirs now. But, Fish-cador, I can give you a counselling session , , , , and of course there is going to be Jacks :-D

Cheers, Bugatti

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:53 pm

You twits, it was sarcasm. Geez everybody's so sensitive these days. Lighten up.

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:10 am
ChrisTaylor wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:29 pm
Ha. I'm a Science & Technology teacher, and I've had some of my students build something called a SeaPerch (https://www.seaperch.org/index). The short version: a SeaPerch is a kit-built remote control sub. It's made mostly from cheap parts (simple DC motors, PVC pipes, off-cuts from pool noodles) so students can easily modify it. Of course, you could attach a GoPro to one. It's hard to tell, but it looks a little bit like a SeaPerch. My students use an inflatable pool, but if our school was close to a pier we'd be throwing them into the bay, too. I reckon you'd get some nice footage driving around the pylons of piers and docks.

EDIT

Incidentally, if anyone thinks the SeaPerch idea is kind of neat, you can order one from the website. Shipping is fiercely expensive, and the US/Australian dollar doesn't make matters any better, but it'd be easy enough to assemble one with your kids. I've had Grade 3/4s and 5/6s assemble them without too much trouble. The base design is a bit rubbish, and I reckon that's deliberate -- the whole point is students modify it.

Yeah, seems to be more the case.

Two tech savvy, enthusiastic kids being supported by their parents. Very nice to see. Good on the kids and even more gooder-on-er-er for the Parents. The Mum especially, for vigilantly holding the umbrella to shade the screens.

Research a.jpg

Chris, any idea of the total outlay dollars wise (ballpark figure), including the "Sea Perch" kit and all the other supplementary equipment costs (not including the laptop that is, or, a GoPro)?

Fish-cador wrote:
No words if they found my missing cranka crabs.

I think they have found it, I saw it on ebay , , , , to fund their equipment. Hey, maritime salvage law and all that, it's theirs now. But, Fish-cador, I can give you a counselling session , , , , and of course there is going to be Jacks :-D

Cheers, Bugatti
I'm not too sure -- we bought ours at the start of last year, and we bought more than one kit. At that time I emailed them and asked about the cost of shipping -- that's the expensive part, not the kit.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”