Electric 4WD?

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
ango

Electric 4WD?

Post by ango » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:20 pm

It seems Bill Shorten wants us to embrace electric vehicles with Labor having a policy target of 50% of new car sales being electric by 2030.

I drive a “soft roader”, (Outlander) and I don’t do any serious off road driving but it is handy on fire trails and getting the boat up the ramp when it’s a bit slippery. According to Redbook, the current model Outlander PHEV is 368 Kg heavier, tows 100 Kg less, and costs $12200 more than the 2.4 L petrol model which makes me think, why would anybody buy one?

So I am thinking, does an electric 4WD capable of serious off-road driving exist, and where would you charge it when you are out in the bush? It seems like Labor (and the greens) have policies set to trash the outdoor lifestyle that we all love. I won’t be going electric anytime soon and I sure won’t be voting for any party pushing me in that direction.

Cheers
Ango

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Re: Electric 4WD?

Post by Tackleberry » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:37 pm

Think you will find most members here would vote labour
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:00 pm

They do exist. And Great Wall of all companies are introducing a dual cab 4x4 ute capable of apparently 600km a charge. But...

In this country electric vehicles outside of metro areas is a false economy (and even then unless you're off grid you're only diverting your 'footprint' to another source). And when those battery banks go boom they bloody well go BOOM on a very toxic level.

Shorten is only trying to buy votes off the greens

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:01 pm

Firstly, non of us are going to "have to" drive an Electric Vehicle , , , , that unsavoury responsibility and burden we are passing on to our kids , , , , sad, very sad that we are handing the world over to them in that condition.

Secondly, don't believe the hype/spin , , , , both parties have EXACTLY the same policy in regards to Electric Vehicle Policy. It is only a difference of semantics. Bill Shorten's Labor Party says a definitive percentage of 30-50%. Where as (exactly the same amount) the Liberal/Coalition Prime Minister Tony Abbott, um no, it's Malcolm Turnbull, um no, um , , , , hold on , , , , what day is it , , , , oh, yeah , , , , it's Monday , , , , so that makes our Prime Minister, Scott Morrison , , , , what a joke.

Anyway , , , , The Coalition has it's figure as an "up to" 30-50% , , , , so they both have the same policies, they are just slinging mud at each other for the same policy but saying theirs is better , , , , when both Electric Vehicle Policies are the same.

Hence should not even be a "vote changer" , , , , not that any lie they say about any Policy should be a vote changer , , , , :(

For ever sceptical, Bugatti

I might go play with my Matchbox cars now :-D

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:04 pm

Lead paint Bugatti you planet destroyer you

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:09 pm

The light vehicles such as motorcycles ect are ok, On youtube an electric motorcycle blew away an R1 Yamaha in take off and top speed, the battery bike got 6 to 7 hours use for the day, depending how hard it was pushed, once batteries have evolved enough the sky is the limit, battery technology IMO is not there yet, these targets set are not feasible, I believe in the next 5 to 10 years the technology will have evolved enough to power 4x4 and heavy trucks , not now but soon.

Below is a small selection, there are many more manufacturers getting on the wagon which will speed up the battery technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVV08B4fI4o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjysvBCkYbI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWj_eLZdJF0
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:40 pm

hornet wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:09 pm
I believe in the next 5 to 10 years the technology will have evolved enough to power 4x4 and heavy trucks , not now but soon.
I agree, it's really a mute point till the technology gets to be like an "everyday kind of" thang :)

cobby wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:04 pm
Lead paint Bugatti you planet destroyer you
Oups, but I'm trying to change my ways :-D

Might get these guys to help

Guardians of the Galaxy.jpg

Hold the phone , , , , we have a Hornet

hornet wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:09 pm

What if I get some green paint and , , , , you know , , , ,

Voila , , , , we have our very own

Green Hornet.jpg

Can't have enough Superheros, I say

Hey, they might need a bit of help , , , ,

Bugattiman

Bugattiman.PNG

Cheers, Bugattiman

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:24 am

It would be pointless for towing

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:15 am

ango wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:20 pm
It seems Bill Shorten wants us to embrace electric vehicles with Labor having a policy target of 50% of new car sales being electric by 2030.
Cheers
Ango
by 2030 maybe electric may be viable - yes there are some electric jiggers around today

by 2030 there may be a way to quickly charge them in as many places as you can fill your car now - I think a quick fill on an electric atm as 1/2 an hour or so
just think of one petrol station on say the hume how many cars stop for fuel in a 1/2 hour thats how many charging points you would need at each power charging station
now how much area do you need to make the electric charging station - next where do you get the power from when we are on the verge of not having enough power to run our homes and industry now

by the time we are running 50 % electric just thinking I maybe in an electric vehicle just to get to the shops - a mobility scooter
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Post by benders » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:35 am

I have a mate who works at AGL and they are dropping a lot of money into charging stations. As in, A LOT.
As with most things, follow the money.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”