NBN plans...

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

NBN plans...

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:54 am

SO,
the time has come to switch to the NBN network, my current cable internet will be terminated in the next few months.
does anyone here know much about the NBN deals currently going around? what to look for, what to stay away from, what extras to Look for etc etc..
i understand theres 2 or 3 different speeds??
i dont download big files, dont have a smart TV yet(get one eventually) so my usage at home is average at best. my current Cable internet is with optus with the inclusion of the fetch TV box, would like something similar (for the kids programs mainly)
any help appreciated.
cheers

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: NBN plans...

Post by Lightningx » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:07 am

I’m in the same situation as you Steve!
Still haven’t decided which one I want to go with.
So also interested to hear what others have to say :P

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:33 am

I had Optus broadband and switched to Optus NBN... *I run the fastest plan speed pack 4 = $120.... reason why is from 6pm to midnight is the most congested time so the speed will drop to approximately half I believe, so if you get the slowest or mid speed plan be prepared to get half the speed you paid for... In my situation if it gets very congested especially on week ends at worst I get mid to low highs at the most busiest times, which should not impact on me that much. Also there are 3 Gamers on line most of the time at my place. so far I can't complain and there is no noticeable lag on online gaming.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:05 pm

The speed you can expect will depend on the type of NBN connection you have....fibre to the house, node, or kerb. Also depend on the maximum speed available in your area, so best check with the provider. I went with Telstra because there is no longer a separate phone line and your house phone now operates VOIP (over the internet) and Telstra's Smartmodem 2 will automatically connect to the 4G mobile network in the event the NBN data link is down, therefore maintaining your house phone connection through the 4G mobile network so you can still use your house phone. I'm paying $80/month, no data limit and all calls within Aus included.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:29 pm

Just go with Telstra and be done with it. Not sure about where you're located but their deals where I am are essentially the best value and head and shoulders reliability over the rest. Had a couple initial issues and they sent technicians the next day.

**** dodo, **** iinet, **** dcsi, **** the rest.

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:36 pm

I've got a 50mbps 500gb/mnth telstra plan. Works great now it's set up, get constant speeds of 40-45mbps around peak times and 60+ at non peak. Getting it installed was a nightmare though, no matter what we communicated to telstra the technicians would show up at non-scheduled times, wait around for 5 minutes and then leave because no one was home. This occurred for around 3 straight months. Then, when they actually got here, on two separate occasions they said the couldn't do it and would need their supervisor, then show up the next time with no supervisor. Did my head in, but no issues since it was set up.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:54 pm

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback.
Does anyone here have satellite TV like optus fetch or foxtel as part of the NBN deal.
Currently have both optus fetch and foxtel one of those I will cancel eventually.
Also the connection to your house. Can you choose what type or is that dictated by where the nodes are on the network?

Thanks once again..

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:02 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:54 pm
Does anyone here have satellite TV like optus fetch or foxtel as part of the NBN deal.
Currently have both optus fetch and foxtel one of those I will cancel eventually.
Also the connection to your house. Can you choose what type or is that dictated by where the nodes are on the network?

Thanks once again..
**** Foxtel off. Waste of money. Everything on there you can find cheaper/free elsewhere.

Connection to house will be massively dependent on the age of the house

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:10 pm

purple5ive wrote:

Thanks once again..
You can pay more to get fibre to the premises otherwise you'll likely be fibre to the curb (the Telstra pits along the nature strips) with the copper phone wiring doing the rest.

Going through the same thing, currently on the exact same Optus cable deal. Likely going Optus 50/20 unlimited for $70 without the fetch, and purchasing 2 fetch minis outright from JB HiFi for $169 each as i barely use the mightys recording functions nor do I have a 4k capable tv and there's no phone going to be connected either. Current legacy cable costs is $20 less than the NBN plans on offer with exact channel packages on the fetch and all. All it means is should Optus nbn turn to ****, I can keep both fetch boxes without handing them back and move to any nbn provider.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:02 pm
purple5ive wrote:

Thanks once again..
**** Foxtel off. Waste of money. Everything on there you can find cheaper/free elsewhere.

Connection to house will be massively dependent on the age of the house
i would, but the only reason its there is for the kids programmes, where can you find similar to foxtel for free, i will have to investigate that source.
house is old, 30 years id say...

Return to “Off Topic Forum”