Cost to re spray a car?

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

Cost to re spray a car?

Post by trout-hunter » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:56 pm

Hey everyone, finally got another HZ kingswood after a few years of hunting.. its all original and only had 1 owner, little bit of rust in the usual spots but i figure its cheaper to just buy a door without rust than get it cut out. Its blue at the moment but i want to change to atlantis blue, does anyone have any idea on a rough ballpark figure of what this would cost?
Cheers everyone

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Re: Cost to re spray a car?

Post by fishnut » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:36 am

Last year had a plastic bumper bar resprayed cost $500
Getting the colour to match will be hard for just the one door
Also there is more than one level of respraying,a rub all over and respray(only good if selling the car)or full removal to metal and repaint where all external parts are removed so no masking around edges
Price can vary a lot as well

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:57 am

depends on how good a job you want.
places that offer 1k resprays generally dont remove trim, windows etc and will be the same colour as the car. there will be overspray on trim etc that will be annoying if not done properly.

semi proper ones start from around 2.5k, and thats not including engine bays and door jambs etc. which if your changing colour means will also need to be done.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:12 am

trout-hunter wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:56 pm
Hey everyone, finally got another HZ kingswood after a few years of hunting.
Cheers everyone
Congratulations trout-hunter on finding and getting a HZ :wh:

To answer your question on cost of a re-spray , , , , $2,000 to $5,000 and that's a sliding scale depending on what you are hoping to achieve.

A colour change adds cost and depending on how far "into" the car you plan on changing the colour. Metallics with "Clear over Base" (COB) adds to the cost.

The amount of body work also adds , , , , be it spray-putty, or stop putty, or filler. Which it is surprising how dinged up a car is even though it might not look it.

To bring the car back to metal (other than the substantial repaired areas) and/or to metal finish the body you might as well hand them your wallet and close your eyes.
( I personally don't think it's worth the money unless you are showrooming the car)

No matter what you do, my advise , , , , find a good guy to do a basic job rather than a basic guy to do a good job , , , , which is going to add $500 - $1,000 depending on how far into the car you want to go.

That Atlantis Blue is a nice colour bytheway :tu:

Holden 1.JPG

Mate and I took a month to paint my Sister's HX (done to a HZ and yes she is a Rev-head) which was a total colour change in every nook and cranny.
(Apologies for the quality of the photo)

This colour is Lagoon Blue (with heaps of clear)

Holden 3.JPG

Troutie, sounds like some nice exciting times ahead for you, wish you the best with all of it :tu:

Cheers, Bugs

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:26 am

Anywhere from 6k to 20k depending on the level and quality of job you want done.

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Post by ben475 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:39 pm

frozenpod wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:26 am
Anywhere from 6k to 20k depending on the level and quality of job you want done.
that sounds realistic if you want a good job.

there will be a mountain of prep work, could save a lot by diy'ing it, you'd want to do it right though.

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:26 pm

I would contrantrate more on mechanical and interior rather than than spend 5 to 20k on just the paint job.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:25 pm

If it's a standard Kingswood, it's not worth the money. You will not recoup the exspense
If it's what you want & you have the spare cash, then do it
I want an HZ Statesman Caprice, but they're getting rare (& priced as such)
Cheers Gra

Haven't looked at classic cars for a while
Geez they've increased in price

trout-hunter

Post by trout-hunter » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:47 pm

Cheers for the replys everyone, im not selling this one as ive regretted selling my hz wagon 15 odd years back, im planning on making a gts mock up for my daughter, she's only 5 at the moment but we rebuild motorbikes together and she loves it, i want her to remember these days well after im gone and theres no better way to make memories than fishing trips and rebuilding a car together. Im planning on putting about 25k into it over the next 10 years or so, we could just go and buy a mock up gts for 30k but thats someone else's work and not ours. The car is road worthy and straight at the moment so a bit here shouldn't send me broke to fast, the body work (clean up and paint) is what i gather the main cost was going to be in 1 chunk, so thank you for the replys as now i have a rough estimate. The engine wont be anything special, just a good strong reco 308 will do the trick, to me the cars of the 70s will always be the time of the aussie muscle cars, spend 40k on a new car today and it will only last 10 years or so, spend the money on an old holden thats already 45 years old and holds its value and will run strong for another 45+ years.

trout-hunter

Post by trout-hunter » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:54 pm

trout-hunter wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:47 pm
Cheers for the replys everyone, im not selling this one as ive regretted selling my hz wagon 15 odd years back, im planning on making a gts mock up for my daughter, she's only 5 at the moment but we rebuild motorbikes together and she loves it, i want her to remember these days well after im gone and theres no better way to make memories than fishing trips and rebuilding a car together. Im planning on putting about 25k into it over the next 10 years or so, we could just go and buy a mock up gts for 30k but thats someone else's work and not ours. The car is road worthy and straight at the moment so a bit here shouldn't send me broke to fast, the body work (clean up and paint) is what i gather the main cost was going to be in 1 chunk, so thank you for the replys as now i have a rough estimate. The engine wont be anything special, just a good strong reco 308 will do the trick, to me the cars of the 70s will always be the time of the aussie muscle cars, spend 40k on a new car today and it will only last 10 years or so, spend the money on an old holden thats already 45 years old and holds its value and will run strong for another 45+ years.
Attachments
20200514_163858_copy_1134x2016.jpg
20200514_163906_copy_2016x1134.jpg
20200514_163916_copy_2016x1134.jpg
inCollage_20200607_213305903_copy_1462x837.jpg
inCollage_20200607_213133047_copy_906x510.jpg

Return to “Off Topic Forum”