Back in lockdown again.

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Re: Back in lockdown again.

Post by Truedogz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:17 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:47 am
ben475 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:39 am
who knows sebb, 70%? 80%? will the % start going backwards as the early receivers require boosters to maintain their fully vaccinated status?
Yeah true

🤔
Seb at this point the earliest recipients of Pfizer - frontline workers - will probably require boosters. At this point their protection is expected to be dropping by about 3-5% per month. As for the rest of us the jury is out. If as expected many in the population that are immunised become exposed to covid their immunity will be boosted. So how this plays out will depend on how widespread covid becomes here over the next 6-12 months. Other countries might impose a requirement for a booster before us travelling there. If they have a higher proportion of their population unvaccinated eg Israel they might do that for the protection of the vulnerable.

Israel right now are rolling out boosters not much to protect those already vaccinated but those that aren't. Looking at the latest projections it looks like we will get to 80+% vaccinated. But again protecting those that aren't particularly if there are distinctive pockets of them is going to be important.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:38 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:50 am
Went for a nice walk along the beach this morning and I reckon only 20% of people were wearing masks (felt pretty good seeing peoples faces again to be honest). Dan really needs to lift some restrictions right now...they need to dump the curfew, limited time outdoors and masks outside rules at a minimum asap. This has gone on way, way too long and the issues it's causing with mental health with outlast Covid.
You need to suckle on some tiddies my man!!

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:24 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:17 pm
Sebb wrote:
ben475 wrote:
who knows sebb, 70%? 80%? will the % start going backwards as the early receivers require boosters to maintain their fully vaccinated status?
Yeah true

🤔
Seb at this point the earliest recipients of Pfizer - frontline workers - will probably require boosters. At this point their protection is expected to be dropping by about 3-5% per month. As for the rest of us the jury is out. If as expected many in the population that are immunised become exposed to covid their immunity will be boosted. So how this plays out will depend on how widespread covid becomes here over the next 6-12 months. Other countries might impose a requirement for a booster before us travelling there. If they have a higher proportion of their population unvaccinated eg Israel they might do that for the protection of the vulnerable.

Israel right now are rolling out boosters not much to protect those already vaccinated but those that aren't. Looking at the latest projections it looks like we will get to 80+% vaccinated. But again protecting those that aren't particularly if there are distinctive pockets of them is going to be important.
This booster thing, is it similar to the flu shot that we supposedly to get every year?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:46 pm

ben475 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:38 pm
https://www.spectator.com.au/2021/09/ju ... e-numbers/

for anyone that's interested.
Perfect example of half truth out of context. Key details ommitted as well as facts twisted.

So much for just the facts.....

potatoeater
Has liked: 9 times

Post by potatoeater » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:52 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Went for a nice walk along the beach this morning and I reckon only 20% of people were wearing masks (felt pretty good seeing peoples faces again to be honest). Dan really needs to lift some restrictions right now...they need to dump the curfew, limited time outdoors and masks outside rules at a minimum asap. This has gone on way, way too long and the issues it's causing with mental health with outlast Covid.
As important as mental health is, it feels like it's being blown out of proportion by anti-vaxxers and anti-lockdown types. No different to Guy talking up "african gangs" as a bogeyman as if there are tens of thousands of gangs with guns roaming in Melbourne every night. The facts are, there are no increase in suicides in Victoria.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-w ... -c-3707259

Of course there are other mental health issues at play but I find it disingenuous that people who bash lockdown restrictions, who have a very short memory on the clusterf*** that was the UK last year somehow keeps bringing up a debunked stats as if thousands of people were killing themselves from the lockdowns as justification that letting covid loose in our community is the solution.
Last edited by potatoeater on Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Truedogz

Post by Truedogz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:54 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:24 pm
Truedogz wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:17 pm
Sebb wrote:
ben475 wrote:
Yeah true

🤔

This booster thing, is it similar to the flu shot that we supposedly to get every year?
Seb, well sort of.

Boosters are used for a range of reasons. One is when the vaccine used produce immune responses which decline significantly over time. This is determined by the type of vaccine, its immune mechanism and the type of pathogen. Some provide great long term protection eg 10 years while others are good for much shorter intervals. Think of tetanus that requires a booster every ten years. Another reason for a booster is to deliver an improved vaccine to counter new variants of a pathogen. This is what happens with influenza and could occur with covid but there is nothing on the horizon at this stages that warrants it.

There are range of reasons for immune response decline after vaccination. One explanation, of several, is that the immune response produced by a vaccine results in the production of 'memory cells' capable of recognising the same antigen and initiating an immune response. Over time these cells die. Once the specific memory cell levels become low the immune response is too slow to mount an effective defense. I'll try and dig up something on this for people to read. The evidence soon to be published suggests that protection from Pfizer falls away faster than that with AZ. This was predicted from theory based on the nature of the vaccines.

People exposed to covid, whether previously immunised or not, on the evidence coming through are mounting a much better immune response to re-exposure than those that haven't. Again there are various explanations one being that vaccines expose an individual to one component of the virus eg spike protein whereas natural infection exposes the person to all components. So far the evidence is while over time vaccines are declining in their ability to prevent re-infection they still provide excellent protection against serious illness and death.

Based on the Israeli experience if we want to maintain high protection of frontline workers from infection and passing it on to uninfected people they would start to need boosters around the end of the year. By that time we should have reached the 80% target and should not impact the rollout.

Truedogz

Post by Truedogz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:08 pm

potatoeater wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:52 pm
As important as mental health is, it feels like it's being blown out of proportion by anti-vaxxers and anti-lockdown types.
That maybe quite true but now there is another issue at play.

There is a lockdown weary population and our leaders are faced with having very strict conditions with mediocre compliance or more moderate conditions with better compliance. This is their dilemma and obviously they are consulting with modellers on the best way forward ie risk/benefit analysis.

Covid can't be stopped now and the way forward is to find a workable path with the best health outcomes.

My hope is that the growing numbers scares some people into reviewing their behaviour, slowing the rate of growth and spread.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:30 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:08 pm
potatoeater wrote:
As important as mental health is, it feels like it's being blown out of proportion by anti-vaxxers and anti-lockdown types.

There is a lockdown weary population and our leaders are faced with having very strict conditions with mediocre compliance or more moderate conditions with better compliance. This is their dilemma and obviously they are consulting with modellers on the best way forward ie risk/benefit analysis.

Covid can't be stopped now and the way forward is to find a workable path with the best health outcomes.

My hope is that the growing numbers scares some people into reviewing their behaviour, slowing the rate of growth and spread.
Yep, this is me.
I've followed every rule and restriction since day 1, I've been home schooling whilst juggling work and have I'm fully vaccinated.
I'm really tired of making sacrifices for people that don't do the right thing because of religion, culture or a distrust of science or authority.
I'm over it & I couldn't care less about the numbers anymore.

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:53 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:30 pm
Truedogz wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:08 pm
potatoeater wrote:

Yep, this is me.
I've followed every rule and restriction since day 1, I've been home schooling whilst juggling work and have I'm fully vaccinated.
I'm really tired of making sacrifices for people that don't do the right thing because of religion, culture or a distrust of science or authority.
I'm over it & I couldn't care less about the numbers anymore.
Maybe we implement India's method of sterilization in 1970s for our vax program
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-09-12-16-48-13-04_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:43 pm

potatoeater wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
As important as mental health is, it feels like it's being blown out of proportion by anti-vaxxers and anti-lockdown types. No different to Guy talking up "african gangs" as a bogeyman as if there are tens of thousands of gangs with guns roaming in Melbourne every night. The facts are, there are no increase in suicides in Victoria.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-w ... -c-3707259

Of course there are other mental health issues at play but I find it disingenuous that people who bash lockdown restrictions, who have a very short memory on the clusterf*** that was the UK last year somehow keeps bringing up a debunked stats as if thousands of people were killing themselves from the lockdowns as justification that letting covid loose in our community is the solution.
The thing that ***** me about is that it is coming from the side of politics that has given the barest minimum of effort towards the very real problem of mental health prior to the pandemic.

They don't actually care about mental health any more than they used to (i.e. very little), it's just much more politically acceptable to advocate for Open Er Up on the basis that people are suffering than it is because your business is no longer making as much cash as you'd like.

If they actually cared about the wellbeing of other members of society they'd get vaxxed ASAP so we can get out of this **** sooner.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Off Topic Forum”