fishing with bad backs

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
bowl
Has liked: 292 times

fishing with bad backs

Post by bowl » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:50 pm

Hey at age of 21 i hurt my back at work .herinated disk,siatica. ect.so just wich membrs have crook backs n ihave 4.1tinnie and just wondering how much physciak is to launch a boat around 5meters to launch n retrive
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: fishing bad backs

Post by Nude up » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:21 am

I don't have a bad back but my knees hurt I had a streaker 545 with a stress free anchor winch I will never have a boat again without one since I fitted mine I have fitted 2 mates boats with a stress free great winch. I digress I also had a l and r boat latch with a dunbier drive on trailer. If you backed the boat into the water close to the jetty you could step into the boat and drive off when retrieving the boat the same drive on it would latch tilt motor up drive out hardest part was winching the boat the final inch very easy and no strain.

Tomcat1

Re: fishing bad backs

Post by Tomcat1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:32 am

i got in a car accident in 2007. broke 4 vertebra and ruptured most of my discs. i have soo much metal in my back i should be the bionic man lol. but still hurt all the time. but i find when i go fishing it helps to at least take my mind of of it for a bit. and i think moving around casting reeling ect...... kinda help to loosen it up a bit. too much sitting is not good for me. if i sit around the house i hurt too bad. but when i move around i can at least deal with the pain. but as soon as i stop fishing and get in my car to come home everything tightens back up. sometimes i get home and text my wife to come help me out of the car hahahaha.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: fishing with bad backs

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:31 am

bowl wrote:Hey at age of 21 i hurt my back at work .herinated disk,siatica. ect.so just wich membrs have crook backs n ihave 4.1tinnie and just wondering how much physciak is to launch a boat around 5meters to launch n retrive
I guess it will depend where you will launch it....from shore (i.e. Wilson's prom) or from a boat ramp.

Something snapped on my lower back a few years ago. The doctor found nothing and they told me to take care of my back. Things like " bend your knees and not stretch your back muscles as whatever snapped there will get worse". I followed their advise. 3 years later, I was suffering. I cant stand for more than 30 minutes because my lower back will hurt as if someone was drilling on my pelvic joint. If I fish and my lower back hit me, the next day I will have bad headache. My fishing suffered. Off to the physio I went and spent $$$ on insurance gaps. The pain, $$$ and lost time was too much to bear. They told me the condition may be for life. I was like, what? I am like someone totally disabled and cant even stand?

I told myself, if I will go down, I will go down fighting. I ditched the physio and ignored all the doctor's advise. It was their advise that made my back worse anyway by telling me not to stretch my back muscles. I bought some weights and started lifting weights using my back muscles. I did not bend my knees. I started with minimal weight and slowly added more. 3 months into the regime, my condition improved. I was able to stand for long hours and get back to fishing. When I went back to the physio, they still wont admit they had no clue about my condition. I can now hit the surf from morning till dusk and not feel any pain. When soaking bait, I sit whenever I can to rest my lower back. I still lift weights every day if I can using my back muscles only, no bending of knees. As they say, use it or lose it.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:54 am

yeah mate the surgeon that did my surgery told me i would be on disability for the rest of my life. within a month after surgery i stopped using the walking frame. within 3 months i was walking around the block 2 times a day. by 6 months i was back at work. i still hurt every day but i just take a pain pill and keep going. it hasnt been without problems. the pain meds caused my teeth to go bad. so recently i had to have them removed and get dentures. i also have to be careful with the pain meds because long term use can cause kidney and liver damage among many other things. this is why i really think that medical marijuana should be legal. its a great pain reliever and has less side effects than most of the pain meds that doctors prescribe. but thats a topic for another day i think hahaha. i still work in the aged care industry taking care of our elderly people. i work for a nursing agency o that i can choose the days and hours that i want to work. i dont think i can ever hold down a regular full time job with set hour anymore because some days i just cant stand to go to work because i just hurt too bad and the pain meds do no good. but i refuse to go on disability unless im confined to a wheel chair lol. as long as i can work at least 3 to 4 days a week i can make enough money to get by on without having to depend on government assistance. and as far as building those back muscles fc thats a great way to help out the back. as long as you dont over do it and try to lift too much with the back. also while working on the back muscles you might try to do crunches or situps that will work on the stomach muscles. if the stomach and back muscles are strong it really helps to keep the back in good shape. part of my problem is i need to lose weight to help ease the back problems but exercise just hurts too much. if i try to exercise i end up laid up in bed for a week because i hurt to bad to move. not just muscle pain but nerve pain. so light exercise like fishing, casting, reeling, bending to put baits on things like that are about all i can do. if i dont move around then i hurt much worse. if i do too much i hurt too bad too. it sucks but i deal with it.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:09 am

Tomcat1 wrote: also while working on the back muscles you might try to do crunches or situps that will work on the stomach muscles. if the stomach and back muscles are strong it really helps to keep the back in good shape.
yeah LOL. I think the problem with my back is my front. :rofl: :rofl:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:10 am

:icon_lolz: :rofl:

Return to “Off Topic Forum”