Anyone knows of methods to sell an old car quickly?

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Foofoo

Re: Anyone knows of methods to sell an old car quickly?

Post by Foofoo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:58 pm

It's a 97 Honda civic coupe VTi manual. Still works a charm, hasn't brought me any grief this whole year I've had it. What does no reserve mean?

snapperslayer

Post by snapperslayer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Foofoo wrote:It's a 97 Honda civic coupe VTi manual. Still works a charm, hasn't brought me any grief this whole year I've had it. What does no reserve mean?

Assuming you are taking about ebay? No reserve means there is no minimum price to start the bid from. Suppose you have something that you want to get at least $50 for. You could, if you want, set a reserve of $50. People can bid less, but you'd be under no obligation to accept their bid.

Foofoo

Post by Foofoo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:11 pm

snapperslayer wrote:
Foofoo wrote:It's a 97 Honda civic coupe VTi manual. Still works a charm, hasn't brought me any grief this whole year I've had it. What does no reserve mean?

Assuming you are taking about ebay? No reserve means there is no minimum price to start the bid from. Suppose you have something that you want to get at least $50 for. You could, if you want, set a reserve of $50. People can bid less, but you'd be under no obligation to accept their bid.
Thanks Snapperslayer, I'll look into it.

SFP Chick

Post by SFP Chick » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:30 pm

Some small private dealers buy traded in cars from big name dealers.

They also sometimes buy cars outright for cash, but they pay very very low.

Worth a try if you need to get rid of it within a day or so. Happens on the spot, as long as you have all your papers with you.

Good luck :grin:

Cheers
Amanda

Foofoo

Post by Foofoo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:54 pm

SFP Chick wrote:Some small private dealers buy traded in cars from big name dealers.

They also sometimes buy cars outright for cash, but they pay very very low.

Worth a try if you need to get rid of it within a day or so. Happens on the spot, as long as you have all your papers with you.

Good luck :grin:

Cheers
Amanda
Heya Amanda, that was one of the dealers I was talking about. Talked to him on the phone and told him the specs of my car and he just said $150 take it or leave it. I'd rather scrap than sell to him tbh with that attitude. :(

ingeer

Post by ingeer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Checked redbook
http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research ... x=0&eapi=2
Trade in price is around $1000-2700 depends on your car's condition. $150 is an absolute ripoff, the dealer you've talked to seems to be very unprofessional..
Private sale range is $2,900 - $4,600, put it on internet then asking for a reasonable price it will go soon.

Growlermz

Post by Growlermz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:13 am

Maybe an idea to mention to everyone on here how much you are asking for the car. Give everyone some details/specs and provide some photos.
Since you are asking the question on here you may find that people are either in the market for a car or know of someone who is.

Just an idea to get the ball rolling.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:45 am

Don't take this the wrong way but $150 is reasonable cash for an unregistered/unroadworthy car of that age. It may cost the dealer $2000 to roadworthy it and then what? He can sell it for bugger all profit. It's not worth his time hence the offer price is very low. If you want to get more for it chuck it on eBay for $500. Or spend the money and roadworthy it and try for more on the private market. Couldn't see you getting more than $2500 privately.

I got a bf falcon one tonner ute with toolboxes 5 months reg and a dead clutch last week for $500. Spent $3000 on new clutch and other roadworthy items like tyres, seatbelts etc. Unroadworthy cars are worth bugger all

foggybottom

Post by foggybottom » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:45 am

Hey FooFOo,
I flogged a 98 VT wagon earlier this year without a RWC for $2600, the second car I've sold without an RWC (the previous one was a 94 VR wagon for $1500). The way to do it is to advertise it as what it is and let people know theres no RWC. People who buy cars like this can either do the work needed for a RWC themselves or have a mate who owns a garage etc. Sell it like this and you'll get a grand or more for it at least, provided it is like you say and runs well, looks pretty straight.

Dealers are shite. Sell it to a private buyer, pay the $30 bucks to chuck it on carsales and you will be able to flog it in a couple of weeks for a decent price.

Foofoo

Post by Foofoo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:47 am

Growlermz wrote:Maybe an idea to mention to everyone on here how much you are asking for the car. Give everyone some details/specs and provide some photos.
Since you are asking the question on here you may find that people are either in the market for a car or know of someone who is.

Just an idea to get the ball rolling.
Haha I totally didn't think of that! But I don't actually know if the mods will allow that because it's meant to be a fishing forum. Would any mods or anyone object to me posting a little for sale post? Either that if you're interested send me a pm and I'll give you the details. It's a sweet car that I've driven all around Victoria in it and can still pack a punch given it's age :) As I'll de-register it on friday (so I can sell it without RWC), I'm gonna sell it cheaply and open to offers.
ducky wrote:Don't take this the wrong way but $150 is reasonable cash for an unregistered/unroadworthy car of that age. It may cost the dealer $2000 to roadworthy it and then what? He can sell it for bugger all profit. It's not worth his time hence the offer price is very low. If you want to get more for it chuck it on eBay for $500. Or spend the money and roadworthy it and try for more on the private market. Couldn't see you getting more than $2500 privately.

I got a bf falcon one tonner ute with toolboxes 5 months reg and a dead clutch last week for $500. Spent $3000 on new clutch and other roadworthy items like tyres, seatbelts etc. Unroadworthy cars are worth bugger all
I know ducky, that is true but I think even if he had to spend $1000 on it to fix it he could probably still flip it for more than $2500 which I guess is still a pretty good margin.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”