jewfish help

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
fishmagnet

jewfish help

Post by fishmagnet » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:17 am

hey guys,
i've been wanting to catch a jewie for quite a long time and have had a few attempts with no luck. could anyone give me some advice on gear, rigs, bait,times,etc... and maybe a place or 2 that are good to have a crack at? help will be most appreciated.
cheers sam

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: jewfish help

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:45 am

Sam Ogden wrote:hey guys,
i've been wanting to catch a jewie for quite a long time and have had a few attempts with no luck. could anyone give me some advice on gear, rigs, bait,times,etc... and maybe a place or 2 that are good to have a crack at? help will be most appreciated.
cheers sam
Never fished for them myself, but the patterson and maribynong rivers.

They can be caught on soft plastics and I understand a live mullet under a float.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:53 am

I've never targeted them using bait. But with soft plastics anything in the 3.5-6" paddle tails are the go. Or swimbaits as the yanks call them. Just depends on the bait size that's getting around. As a general rule everyone I know that fished for em uses 5" plastics.

Definitely needs to be a paddle tail though.

A mate of mine recently landed a 1.42m jewie on a 4-12lb rod and a 2508 reel. So you don't need the big gear. Need to be able to give a good hook set though. So the rod needs a decent backbone.

azkay

Post by azkay » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:05 pm

I find the river systems are best fished for Mulloway (Yarra, Maribyrnong, Paterson). A few general searches on Google or the Search Function here will narrow down some spots. I'm a bait fisho and try to follow the below general rules;
Bait: Full Pillie, Fresh Squid, I've read experts say live mullet is the best though.
TOD: @ Night (full moon preferred),
Tide: Ebb Tide/Slack Water,
Rig: Running Sinker.
A lot of hours as they're never around for long in great numbers. That's my personal experience. Good luck :)
Az.

fishmagnet

Post by fishmagnet » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:23 pm

alright guys thanks for all the info! i might have a crack tomorrow night wit ha bait rod in the water and flicking some plastics. i will post how i go, thanks again for the info!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:46 am

Patience mate! The advice in here is exactly what the guys told me and i'm sure it'll work, I'm up to about 30 hours Jew hunting and i'm yet to even hook one.

Good luck to you!
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”